PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

PrincessLeppard
06-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Fever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7nh16heO4)

So awesome!

Mad World from Council Bluffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuKpXY8dD8)

Whee! That was from the opposite side of the stage from numbers and me. So, you know, different. :D Plus there's more stuff from the show.

PeterG
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Interesting that this thread is about season 9 and all we're doing is talking about the season 8 contestants. :lol:

Note to judges: Pick better singers for season 10!!!

Allskate
06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Maybe it's a naive for me to say, but when you see people who are that good and that talented, it's more of a question of "when" than "if" they're going to make it. I think the best is to yet to come for both her and Adam.

I hope you're right. Allison is my favorite from that season, but I try to be realistic. There are people with tons of talent who never really make it big. I don't think she'll be huge, but with the right people and material should could have a long and successful career. If she can become a good songwriter or put together a band with good songwriters, I think she can find her place. I imagine her having a career like Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. People might not hear them on the radio much, but they are making a career out of their music without conforming to the pop style of the moment.

Then, nobody can say she didn't pay her dues. Here's a video showing all the places she's been this year promoting DWTP and the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3m99XOicCY&feature=player_embedded

Fever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7nh16heO4)
Mad World from Council Bluffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuKpXY8dD8)
Soaked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOMzroWk3l4) :eek: :swoon:
Whole Lotta Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUMZq6N6ko) :smokin:

Thanks! How many outfits does he wear in the show?!

I prefer his original version of Mad World. Probably because of the mood it evokes. Or maybe it just highlights his vocal abilities even more.

I think Soaked is my favorite of the slower songs on the album. This version is beautiful and he knows how to "perform" it. I know that some people don't enjoy the slower songs, especially in concert, but I would have been happy to be there seeing and hearing this.

cailuj365
07-05-2010, 03:55 AM
I hope you're right. Allison is my favorite from that season, but I try to be realistic. There are people with tons of talent who never really make it big. I don't think she'll be huge, but with the right people and material should could have a long and successful career. If she can become a good songwriter or put together a band with good songwriters, I think she can find her place. I imagine her having a career like Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. People might not hear them on the radio much, but they are making a career out of their music without conforming to the pop style of the moment.

I don't know if Allison will ever be a superstar, but she's only 18. As she gets older, I think she'll be more focused and know what she wants out of her music and herself as an artist. Glambert at 28 is not at all the same Adam Lambert at 18, and even now, Allison would probably put an 18-year-old Adam Lambert to shame. I think I remember her saying that she wrote songs before AI. I think she already has all the talent and desire, and I think it's almost certain that she will improve a lot as a musician/singer/writer/performer in the next few years. If there's one thing that Allison has going for her, it's youth. She could go away for five years and then come back with a hit album or single and still be considered a young up-and-comer and build a bigger career and fanbase from there. Her time on AI will be old news, and she'll have more cred as a 20-something than a teen anyway. Pop music will be changed by then too.

Even if she only becomes a successful indie act, then that's not bad either. One of my favorite bands is Hanson actually. They're nowhere near as popular as during their major label days as teens, but they still release albums, tour nationally, and have a small, hardcore fanbase. Imagine my surprise when I heard that Siobhan was a major fan of them and actually had lyrics tattooed on herself. I think this is the most widespread exposure Hanson has had in years, lol.

Thanks! How many outfits does he wear in the show?!

I prefer his original version of Mad World. Probably because of the mood it evokes. Or maybe it just highlights his vocal abilities even more.

I think Soaked is my favorite of the slower songs on the album. This version is beautiful and he knows how to "perform" it. I know that some people don't enjoy the slower songs, especially in concert, but I would have been happy to be there seeing and hearing this.

The slower songs were a really enjoyable part of the set, I thought. It's like he switches to a completely different voice. His lower register is really beautiful, and it's a shame that it often goes unrecognized because of his trademark high wails. I was never a big fan of Soaked or Aftermath, but they were both highlights for me that night. I remember that the slow AI version of Mad World was a huge highlight for me during the AI tour as well.

He has three costumes. He switches during "interludes" when his dancers or band perform something by themselves.

cailuj365
07-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Oh, I heard that the new AI tour is canceling dates. :shuffle: That sucks.

The concert season is brutal this summer. Poor ticket sales all around, save for a few tours. I heard that tickets for some Jordin Sparks shows were going for $1. :eek:

Kruss
07-05-2010, 06:06 AM
They moved the date of the Chicago AI show - now it's Aug 28th instead of the 30th. And you can get 10th row tickets on the main floor now. Wonder if they'll change the venue, I think the United Center is still too big to fill even if it is Lee's hometown.

Cheylana
07-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Looks like Crystal got her teeth fixed:

http://twitpic.com/200ahv

MOIJTO
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Our local radio station 104.1 is playing the heck out of Adam Lamberts, What u want from Me. His new single I do not like.

I guess my question is where is Kris Allen? :confused:

And...the recent tour of AI alumni's is not selling. I have a feeling this next season will be the last.

Beefcake
07-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Nice improvement for Crystal. In that pic, at least, she's looking like Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under), or maybe even better -- the redhead from That 70s Show.

Allskate
07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Our local radio station 104.1 is playing the heck out of Adam Lamberts, What u want from Me. His new single I do not like.

I guess my question is where is Kris Allen? :confused:

And...the recent tour of AI alumni's is not selling. I have a feeling this next season will be the last.

Nah. This was a weaker season, but lots of concerts are not selling. Christina A canceled her tour. The Jonas Brothers cancelled. John Mayer and Rhianna tickets are now going for twenty bucks. Idol ratings may be down, but it is still one of the highest rated tv shows. It's not dying next year.

As for Kris Allen, it all depends on what station you listen to. I hear very little Adam Lambert and much more Kris Allen.

Kruss
07-08-2010, 10:16 PM
It was a way weaker season than previous ones IMO; many people going to the tour shows are saying the first part of it is awful, and the only people worth seeing are Casey, Crystal and Lee. I honestly wonder if I'm even going to enjoy most of the show, although I will listen to each performer and give them respect for their performing. Maybe I'll be surprised.

I'm genuinely interested in Crystal and Casey's post-Idol albums.

Cheylana
07-09-2010, 02:33 AM
As for Kris Allen, it all depends on what station you listen to. I hear very little Adam Lambert and much more Kris Allen.
In NYC, from what I hear, 95.5 PLJ still has Kris on regular rotation, while Z-100 gives Adam lotsa love! :)

cailuj365
07-09-2010, 11:32 PM
In NYC, from what I hear, 95.5 PLJ still has Kris on regular rotation, while Z-100 gives Adam lotsa love! :)

Both of Kris' singles are probably heard more on HAC and AC stations these days. (95.5 PLJ is a HAC station). Adam's WWFM is occasionally still played on Top 40 but is more likely to be heard on HAC and AC too. IIHY is growing on Top 40 though. Z100 spins it quite often. In my area, there is no HAC station, only Top 40, so I haven't heard Kris in a few months.

Kruss
07-10-2010, 07:47 AM
If anyone's interested, my photos (http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/DCChatters/KrisAllenConcert/) from Kris Allen's concert are up.

Disclaimers: (1) I love photography, and have been trying to get good concert shots. That explains the tons of photos; and (2) I love guitars, and like taking pictures of the guitarist’s hands playing. So, those are not “crotch shots”. LOL

Opening acts were Jeffrey David and Angel Taylor (I liked them both!). We got there while Jeffrey was playing, and befriended the cool people in front of us who were at the barricade. They are huge Barenaked Ladies fans (who was the headliner), and when we told them we’d have to leave early due to train schedules and would probably miss BNL, they offered for us to stand in their places at the barricade during Kris’s show since we were leaving afterwards. The one girl who offered is 6’1″, and I’m only 5’2″. Her offer was absolutely cool, so many thanks to them.

Speaking of short, Kris is very tiny. I knew he was short, but man oh man he’s really tiny.

A drunk Kris fan was rather annoying. She was also at the barricade and kept screaming out to Kris. When Kris asked if we were looking forward to seeing BNL after him, this idiot screamed out, “I didn’t vote for Barenaked Ladies!!!” Not a smart thing to do while standing in the midst of BNL fans, but for the most part she was harmless.

Other than that, the show was fantastic, Kris was in great voice, the band was tight and professional (even when one of the guitars malfunctioned and wouldn’t play during “Live Like We’re Dying”), and you could tell these guys really like working together. (And I now know what people have been talking about - Cale is hot as is "Latin Jesus".) Since Kris wasn't the headliner, I didn't expect a full set, but we did get nine songs which was cool.

Allskate
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
(2) I love guitars, and like taking pictures of the guitarist’s hands playing. So, those are not “crotch shots”. LOL

:lol: Yeah, yeah. A likely story. BTW, Casey apparently uses five or six guitars in his short set on the Idol tour. Lots of guitar playing. So, if you're going, have your camera ready. I like the guitar he has with the hummingbird on it.

That was so nice that those girls offered to switch places with you during Kris's set. Glad you liked the concert.

Which one is Cale?