PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Kruss
06-23-2010, 08:00 PM
That's gotta be it then. Between Kelly's tweets about her album and David's pre-production tweets for his new album, it's an exciting time!! :)

Allskate
06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Those tweets can be quite informative. I wonder when Kelly and David will have their albums out.

The strangest Idol-related tweet I've read is one where David Hodges (songwriter to the Idols) said he had been working with Lee DeWyze and with Katie Stevens. I wonder if that means Katie is getting a contract with a 19-related company. 19 seems intent on going after the teen market. They just lowered the age limit to 15. (I really don't like that.)

Crystal tweeted that she's doing "What's Up" on tour and performed it on Leno:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7693674/20462312

I think she's getting better in her interviews. (Lee, OTOH, turns me off more every time I see him in an interview). Maybe she's just more relaxed when she's with other contestants, but I really liked this interview she did with Casey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDPLxO6i-E

PrincessLeppard
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Did PL become a groupie and decide to follow Adam's entire tour? :lol: I want to hear about her experience at the show.

I actually had a quite detailed one typed up (no easy feat on an iPad...) and then I'd apparently run out of time on the internet and it disappeared.

I will attempt recreate some of it here.

The opening song is For Your Entertainment, but Adam is never on stage for it. They just play an extended remix of it as lasers and stuff are all over. It goes on for five minutes. Seemed a little long...

But anyway, when he does come on, he's wearing a FABULOUS top hat with a giant feather (WANT IT) and equally spectacular coat. The song has left me, as has the order of the songs. Sorry! So you'll just get impressions.

Fever is the highlight of the whole show. I wish they'd risk it as a single, because EVERYONE was dancing, including the 85 year old woman in orthopedic shoes in front of numbers and me.

He has two sections with slower numbers, and I'm sure they work awesomely at more intimate or indoor venues. At the outdoor place we were, they kind of got lost and the crowd got a bit restless. Still, he sounded gorgeous and didn't hit a bad note on any of them.

He closed with an upbeat (well, faster) version of Mad World that I would kill to own. If anyone has a link to it, please send me a PM.

I highly recommend the show, and am pondering catching it in Vegas. Except that's outdoors, too. Vegas. At the end of July. Who thought THAT was a good idea?

;)

numbers123
06-23-2010, 09:32 PM
I wish they'd risk it as a single, because EVERYONE was dancing, including the 85 year old woman in orthopedic shoes in front of numbers and me.
;)

I had forgotten about her until just now. I would say that Adam has some of the most diverse fans: The old lady in front of us, the gay couples (remember we were in Iowa where same sex marriage is legal), an older woman with some sort of medical condition requiring a high particulate respiratory matter mask (sometimes worn with cancer patients or TB patients), woman dressed as if they were going to a cocktail party, some as if they were hooking, some with the SPAM label t-shirts, people who got free tickets and didn't care who was there...and almost all of us stood in line for 45-60 minutes before the doors opened. No umbrellas were allowed, even though we had had torrential rainstorms in the morning. We had to take our lawn chairs out of their cases so they could inspect for any drink or food being brought into area.

The woman beside us asked me to take a picture with her and her bf. Then explained that she was her best friend not boy friend. PL and I were a little :confused: as to why she had to explain that one to us. whether or not they were a couple, I didn't care.

cailuj365
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh my god.

I was in Nokia last night.

HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT.

Will return with more later when I can gather my thoughts.

cailuj365
06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
I had forgotten about her until just now. I would say that Adam has some of the most diverse fans: The old lady in front of us, the gay couples (remember we were in Iowa where same sex marriage is legal), an older woman with some sort of medical condition requiring a high particulate respiratory matter mask (sometimes worn with cancer patients or TB patients), woman dressed as if they were going to a cocktail party, some as if they were hooking, some with the SPAM label t-shirts, people who got free tickets and didn't care who was there...and almost all of us stood in line for 45-60 minutes before the doors opened. No umbrellas were allowed, even though we had had torrential rainstorms in the morning. We had to take our lawn chairs out of their cases so they could inspect for any drink or food being brought into area.

The woman beside us asked me to take a picture with her and her bf. Then explained that she was her best friend not boy friend. PL and I were a little :confused: as to why she had to explain that one to us. whether or not they were a couple, I didn't care.

lol, at the last part...bf usually means boyfriend. I had to reread that twice to understood what you meant. I think the woman was just being like, "Hey, I'm not a dude!" I actually had a similar experience when I texted my friend that I was hanging with my bf, and she was like, "OMG, you have a boyfriend??" "Nooooo." :lol:

Your venue experience was so different from mine. I saw pictures of the IA show, and it looked really awesome. I think you guys were definitely more spread out.

Allskate
06-24-2010, 09:53 PM
But anyway, when he does come on, he's wearing a FABULOUS top hat with a giant feather (WANT IT) and equally spectacular coat.

I saw a photo of this outfit. Loved it.

He closed with an upbeat (well, faster) version of Mad World that I would kill to own. If anyone has a link to it, please send me a PM.

Oooh. I want to hear this.

And outdoor concert in Vegas in July? Yuck.

Oh my god.

I was in Nokia last night.

HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT.

:rofl: Can't wait to hear about it. Glad you enjoyed it.

cailuj365
06-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Okay! So recap, here we go:

I went to the 6/23 Nokia concert with a guy friend who enjoys Adam's music but wouldn't consider himself to be a big fan. I thought he'd be a good person to take along since he worships nearly every big pop princess/diva out there, and he generally likes entertainers better than pure singers or musicians. Of course, he nearly tried to get himself out of going when his sisters apparently gave him a weird look about going to an Adam Lambert concert, but I made him stick with it.

The line to Nokia was already very long when we got there and we spent a good hour and a half standing and waiting to go in. This being in the middle of Times Square, many people stopped to ask what the line was for. The venue was very nice and modern inside, and best of all, it had air conditioning. Tons of people went to the floors right away, but my friend and I made a beeline to the cushy movie theater seats in the back. :lol: We're not old or anything, but I guess we just aren't that hardcore to stand up for another extra four hours. We're also not that tall, so our seats in the second row gave us a great view of the stage. I was really glad because I was so worried about not being able to see. Basically, this stuff alone already made it an extremely pleasurable concert experience. :D At times, I felt like I was just watching a movie because I was honestly so comfortable, lol.

I wasn't paying that much attention to the crowd, but there were a ton of teens and tweens and their boyfriends and their parents. Many of the girls were dressed up in glittery outfits or dyed hair. (I bought a sequined top too just for the occasion...just sayin'.) Of course, there were many older women and grandmas too as well as their husbands. I saw a few adorable young gay couples taking pictures in front of the stage as well. To be honest, I didn't see the entire front section since I went to the seats right away so the crowd could have been even more different there.

Allison came on exactly at 8. Love her. My friend and I were like, "Why the hell isn't she on the radio?" She has such a great, powerful voice, although my friend was alarmed at how hoarse and thick it was. He's convinced that she's a smoker. She has a ton of energy up on the stage as does her youthful band. She never stops moving and really belts it out from her heart. Most of her songs were fast-paced to make the most of her short set. I think my favorite was "Don't Waste The Pretty" but she was great all around.

Orianthi, on the other hand, was so dull. The question quickly became, "How the hell is she on the radio and Allison isn't?" Her voice wasn't bad, and her guitar skills are amazing, but the girl has absolutely no star power as a solo singer. Her music was just so boring, especially after the fire bomb that was Allison. Her forty minute set set just dragged on. There was one point where she actually told the crowd to yell "Shut up!" at her as part of her crowd interaction during her song "Shut Up and Kiss Me." Um...:shuffle: Then, after practicing that three times, she only had the crowd shout it at her once! My friend was actually semi-yelling, "Get off the stage!" :scream:

cailuj365
06-27-2010, 05:47 AM
During the break between Orianthi and Adam, I bought some merch and told myself that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to justify the prices. :lol: That said, I really do love the tanktop that I bought. It has a picture of a gun that shoots out a tube of lipstick, writing "Adam Lambert" out above it. I find it hilariously campy and something that totally inverts the violent connotation of the gun. I also met Allison during that time! She came out into the lobby to sign autographs and took pictures. I didn't bring a camera but got her autograph and told her she was a great singer, lol. I got one of those autopilot "Thank you" responses back, but it was still cool. Meanwhile, my friend was making friends with the grandmas next to him and was in deep conversation with them about music. :rofl: I don't know how that happened.

And then, finally, ADAM! An image of Adam appears in the background with his hands outstretched toward you like he's taking and inviting you into his world while FYE plays. Then, there's LASERS and DANCERS and whoaaa, ADAM! When he finally appears, he just looks so tall and commanding. He's standing at the top of the staircase wearing the most awesome top hat (with a scarlet A on it, of course) and the most theatrical purple fringe coat with black fur that man could probably sew together. LOLOLOL. I love it, omg. And, whoa, his voice is just incredible. I don't even know. I was expecting it to be higher than what I hear on recordings since that's what I remember from last year's AI tour, and it was, but it still sounded crazy awesome and effortless. I've always known that he's a great singer, but I was so surprised by how easy it is for him. Whereas even Allison has to belt out the high notes, those just flow out of Adam like it's no problem. It's like he doesn't need to try that hard as he goes up and down, but it's still really powerful. There's almost like no build-up or huge intake of breath before he goes for it. I was very impressed.

I looooved "Fever." Great energy and choreography. He also happened to kiss his bassist three times within five seconds while still singing his lines. LOL. I don't know how he did that, but it was awesome. Before the whole "inappropriate" argument comes in, I should say that the crowd loved it and it was entirely appropriate for such a frisky song actually. It was a very quick moment as well and didn't overshadow the rest of his performance at all. I also loved the acoustic version of "Aftermath" and "Soaked." It showed off his lower register and demonstrated how beautiful his voice is. Wow. "Sleepwalker" was vocally awesome, and "Strut" was also really good with the cane choreography. His moves as he was handed his cane are really sharp and illustrated that showman side of him really well. "If I Had You" was SUPER fun with all the lasers going and dancers and it was just a good time. He also did "Mad World" and the acoustic version of "Whole Lotta Love" as encores. Both were good, but I was distracted by people leaving the venue in front of me. I'm sure it was epic though.

Overall, it was an amazing time. It was just as good as I was hoping for with a few surprises. My friend also really enjoyed it and commented on how professional and polished he was. He thinks that Adam's going to have a long career and is the most talented alum to come from AI. We compared Gaga and Adam on the train ride home, and one thing that we noted is that Adam dressing up and getting into outlandish costumes on stage is his idea of fun and something that he just enjoys doing as a performer while Gaga is a lot more serious with it and often has some kind of statement behind her art. I do like that about Adam. He's just out there to entertain people and have a good time and isn't afraid to smile while doing it. So fun! He fills his show with positive messages too about being connected to people through love rather than sex or money and being not afraid to be yourself. For some reason, that's not a common message in pop music right now. It also really helps that he can sing his face off. Things like this make me happy. :)

ETA: VH1 was also at the concert and was taping it. They posted "Fever" on their website, if anyone's curious.

ETA 2: I forgot earlier, but he had some memorable quotes during the concert:
"Oh, my bindi's coming off...jeez, that's tacky!"
After krumping rather hard with one of his dancers..."Uhhhh...I think my balls just dropped." LOLOL! :rofl:

PrincessLeppard
06-28-2010, 03:19 AM
Totally agree re: Orianthi. Talented guitarist. Okay vocalist. Zero charisma on stage, on her own. She came out with Allison here, and is much more in her element just playing guitar, I think.

What song did Adam do as the opening song? I had no idea what that was, and I know the whole album. Since the second song was Down the Rabbit Hole, I'm going to guess that first song was the other "bonus" track on iTunes? Cuz I didn't buy that one.

cailuj365
06-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Totally agree re: Orianthi. Talented guitarist. Okay vocalist. Zero charisma on stage, on her own. She came out with Allison here, and is much more in her element just playing guitar, I think.

What song did Adam do as the opening song? I had no idea what that was, and I know the whole album. Since the second song was Down the Rabbit Hole, I'm going to guess that first song was the other "bonus" track on iTunes? Cuz I didn't buy that one.

Yeah, she played with Allison on "Don't Waste The Pretty." They were great together! I think she should just play lead guitar for a band or singer with prominent guitar solos. On her own, she won't make it.

The opening song was "Voodoo" and is one of the fan faves, I think. It's another bonus track, but it's on the Remix EP of FYE and WWFM. You can get it on iTunes.

Allskate
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I want to hear this version of Mad World you guys are talking about. Anyone have a link? And a link to Fever? And, um, Soaked?

Yeah, she played with Allison on "Don't Waste The Pretty." They were great together! I think she should just play lead guitar for a band or singer with prominent guitar solos. On her own, she won't make it.

Allison and Orianthi have released a new version of DWTP with Orianthi's guitar solo. The other song on that "album" is an acoustic version of DWTP. I think I like this song even more than Holiday now. I really hope that, now that she's getting a little older, she'll have more success with her new album, and they'll let her rock out a little more. I think they just didn't no what to do with her since they think her voice doesn't match her age and they think she should be doing music for teens.

I saw Kris Allen in a free concert in the park this weekend. (Well worth the price of admission. :D) There were four acts, with Lifehouse as the headliner, but lots of people seemed to be there so see Kris. I guess I bought into the myth that it's mostly girls who like Kris, so I was to surprised to see a lot of guys on their feet and coming up to the stage when Kris came on.

I'm guessing the crowd and vibe were different here than at Adam's concerts. There were people dancing with their dogs and some had their kids dancing on their shoulders. :lol: It was a fun and mellow crowd hanging out on a sunny day in the park. Kris seemed to be having a lot of fun. He said this was the biggest crowd they've played.

This is the first time I've heard this arrangement of Heartless from him and I prefer it to the album version, but still like his Idol version the most. In general, I preferred the concert arrangements of the songs to the album versions. He rocked out a bit more.

He did "Man in the Mirror" in memory of the one year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. My friend, who does not watch Idol and was not at all familiar with Kris asked why he would play a cover. :lol: She didn't even realize that Heartless was a cover because she listens more to rock than pop.
She was pleasantly surprised by how good he was. (We both also thought that One Eskimo were really good.)

cailuj365
06-28-2010, 07:12 PM
When Allison got signed, I knew that she wouldn't become big right away, especially with Adam and Kris taking most of the spotlight. A 4th place finisher is more likely to generate "Who?" responses than genuine interest (unless that person is Daughtry and the winner is Taylor Hicks). I've seen Adam always say that Allison was going to be big but it might take awhile, but I wasn't really believing him...

But after the concert, I know that she is definitely going to get her due. She was very enjoyable to watch and a great singer. She's not as polished as Adam yet, but she's definitely a natural. Maybe it's a naive for me to say, but when you see people who are that good and that talented, it's more of a question of "when" than "if" they're going to make it. I think the best is to yet to come for both her and Adam.

I'll post links to Adam's numbers when I get home. I just watched a GREAT one of WLL yesterday. omgggggggggggggggg :swoon:

cailuj365
06-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Fever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be7nh16heO4)
Mad World from Council Bluffs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuKpXY8dD8)
Soaked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOMzroWk3l4) :eek: :swoon:
Whole Lotta Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUMZq6N6ko) :smokin:

Kruss
06-29-2010, 05:02 AM
Allskate Sounds like a fun show! I'm glad you enjoyed Kris. :) I see him on July 9th, and am extremely excited about it.