PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

cailuj365
06-11-2010, 01:42 AM
I think Fever is a better song than FYE, so I'm not sure you can compare them just based on how provocative they are. Plus, as I've said, I don't have the impression that they tried very hard with FYE. Sometimes, the material is to blame. (I don't think Xtina is going to have a huge hit with her new album.) But, sometimes promotion is part of the problem, too. You may have a point about people being more accepting of woman being more provocative in pop music. But, if that's really going to drive Adam and RCA's decision, then they needed to record a different CD.

Melodically, Fever is by far a better song to me too, but in this case, I don't think it would matter even if it was the best song ever. If radio was objecting to FYE for being sexual (which is what Adam said the problem was), then there's no way they're going to say okay to Fever which is both sexual and homosexual. I remember Z100 playing a snippet of this song after Adam's AMA performance and the DJs were saying that it was their favorite. However, literally five minutes before that, one of the DJs was saying that "girl on girl is perfectly okay, but two guys...that's a little gay." If Adam has a few radio smashes, then he may have the luxury of pushing the envelope a bit more. Even Gaga started out with "Just Dance" and "Poker Face" before singing about riding disco sticks in "LoveGame."

Out of the 14 tracks on Adam's album, only FYE, Fever, and Strut have blatant sexual overtones. Everything else is much less provocative. His last two singles are pointedly gender-neutral. In WWFM, the love interest is behind the camera. In IIHY, the love interest is "all of Adam's friends." However, if everything on this album fails, then yes, they record another album. RCA Mod says as much:

...the sooner the FYE project is deemed "ended," the sooner we'll be pushing him back into the studio to record more music.

FYE was barely promoted to radio, but I'm wondering if RCA really just didn't want it to be Adam's first true radio single. It's possible that FYE was just meant to be the promotional single for the album (as "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" was for Lady Gaga's album and she filmed a music video for that as well). Before FYE was announced as the single, a fan found announcements of WWFM as the single on Adam Official (we laughed at her because she had no real proof). It makes sense to do FYE as Adam's closing AMA performance, because it's more high energy and they could make a big production out of it. Maybe they meant to just create general awareness of Adam by releasing FYE to radio and create hype for the album, but weren't going to spend the big bucks on promoting it until WWFM. Right when Adam had the max attention on him then with the AMA performance and the release of the album, WWFM was already released and climbing on radio with Z100 spinning it like crazy. In addition, they had the glamorous FYE music video to show online. I mean, I don't know, that's just my crazy theory. :P To be honest, I'm actually very happy that FYE went away. It wasn't amazing, and Adam sucks at singing it live.

ITA that Xtina's album is a bust too. NMT was a horrible lead single (provocative and hookless), and Woohoo is almost as bad. She's only projected to sell 120k in her debut week. I wouldn't be surprised if Lee outsold that come November!

PrincessLeppard
06-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Just got back from the Adam show. Mostly amazing, with a slower middle section that would work much better in a more intimate venue, but overall, highly recommended.

More tomorrow when I'm stuck in the airport....

PeterG
06-11-2010, 06:55 AM
More tomorrow when I'm stuck in the airport....

Can't wait!!! :respec:

Allskate
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
ITA that Xtina's album is a bust too. NMT was a horrible lead single (provocative and hookless), and Woohoo is almost as bad. She's only projected to sell 120k in her debut week. I wouldn't be surprised if Lee outsold that come November!

I would be surpised if Lee sells that his first week, even if it is during the holiday shopping season. Even without the burden of "No Boundaries," Lee's Itunes sales are significantly lower than Kris's. Plus, at least Xtina will get international sales. Lee's already going into the studio apparently, and they probably have been finding material for him for months, but I still think he's going to have trouble getting even 120K his first week. Crystal's sales will be even lower.

Can't wait to hear about the concert PL. Please give us a little info on Allison too.

cailuj365
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I would be surpised if Lee sells that his first week, even if it is during the holiday shopping season. Even without the burden of "No Boundaries," Lee's Itunes sales are significantly lower than Kris's. Plus, at least Xtina will get international sales. Lee's already going into the studio apparently, and they probably have been finding material for him for months, but I still think he's going to have trouble getting even 120K his first week. Crystal's sales will be even lower.

Yeah, I was only half-kidding about Lee's sales. If Kris can't get 100k, then I doubt Lee or Crystal will... Who knows though, one huge lead single and it may be okay for them. I heard Lee's album actually comes out in October. That's a month earlier than last year's group, and their singles will probably come out even earlier.

Whoops, Adam's video is coming out next week instead, not today as planned. Apparently, they are still working on special effects. When it is released though, VH1 is putting it on gung-ho rotation (http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=16025)! Whee! Less than two weeks left before my concert!

Allskate
06-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I was only half-kidding about Lee's sales. If Kris can't get 100k, then I doubt Lee or Crystal will... Who knows though, one huge lead single and it may be okay for them. I heard Lee's album actually comes out in October. That's a month earlier than last year's group, and their singles will probably come out even earlier.

It was pretty clear that, for months, they've been planning on Lee to be in the finale and signed to a deal. So, they've at least had more time than they did with Kris to gather good material. And Lee's voice is suited for what you hear today on many radio stations. But, even with an early and good lead single, I just can't see him selling a ton of albums his first week. These days, one huge single sells single downloads, not huge numbers of albums.

I assume Crystal's sales will be even smaller, but I think that she'll be able to make a pretty good career for herself if even half the album is the kind of material she likes to write and sing.

I wonder when Casey will record and release his album.

cailuj365
06-11-2010, 11:58 PM
But, even with an early and good lead single, I just can't see him selling a ton of albums his first week. These days, one huge single sells single downloads, not huge numbers of albums.

Very true. Sometimes, I wonder if it is better to have one huge single that everybody knows and gets played a lot than to have an album that does well. In the long run, it's better for the label and the artist to have a better-selling album, but in the iTunes age, singles are more important now for public perception, I think. That just may be me and my radio-centered mind though.

I hadn't thought of Casey as a country artist, similar to how I had never thought of Gokey as a country artist. I hope that country is something that he becomes really inspired by and wants to do. Otherwise, I don't know if he'll find much success.

Allskate
06-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Patiently waiting for the review of Adam's concert.

I hadn't thought of Casey as a country artist, similar to how I had never thought of Gokey as a country artist. I hope that country is something that he becomes really inspired by and wants to do. Otherwise, I don't know if he'll find much success.

I definitely wouldn't put him in the same category as Danny, who had no interest in, knowledge of, or experience with country. Casey has said that the kind of music he wants to do is rock and blues with a bit of country. Although he has listed Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pearl Jam, and Lynyrd Skynyrd as his biggest influences, he also has listed some country artists among his favorites. Casey has performed a wide variety of music in the past, from country to heavy metal. Although most of the music he's done before seems to be more blues and rock, he has done country and bluegrass. In fact, I think he started out doing country with his mother and brother. Based on Idol, I suspect they saw Casey doing Keith Urban kind of country. Rumor is that he was not excited about the Sony Nashville offer because he wanted to do more blues and rock, but he said he was excited after his meeting with them. So, maybe now they have more country rock in mind or at least a mix. My guess is that someone has seen the videos from his homecoming and earlier stuff and saw the potential for doing more than cheesy acoustic country. It would be such a waste if they gave him the kind of material and production they've given Danny.

I'm curious to see what he performs on tour. I'm really hoping he takes this opportunity to show people the kind of music he loves to perform. Something like "Pride and Joy" or "Texas Flood."

He's been tweeting with Orianthi, who has a bit of a blues rock history, too. They've talked about jamming together. I'd love to see that. Maybe they can record a duet. Now that's a duet I'd love to see. Though TPTB probably would come up with a way to suck the blues and soul out of any arrangement.

Allskate
06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Did PL become a groupie and decide to follow Adam's entire tour? :lol: I want to hear about her experience at the show.

MJ has a bunch of videos of Adam from MTV UK:

http://mjsbigblog.com/adam-lambert-mtv-uk-sessions-video.htm

There's really not another Idol in history who even approaches his showmanship and stage presence.

I really like the new video for IIHY. I'm not sure what exactly it has to do with the song, but it's such a cool look.

It turns out that Xtina sold only 110,000. :eek: I know that's just in the U.S., but that's really low for someone of her star power.

It's sounding more and more like Casey is going to be signed with Sony Nashville. From his Yahoo interview, at least it sounds like he thinks they're going to let him play guitar and include some rock and blues:

http://mjsbigblog.com/casey-james-is-excited-to-go-country-on-the-scene-at-idol-tour-rehearsals.htm

I can kind of hear a little of a country influence on some of his old music, especially on Swamp:

http://www.myspace.com/caseyjamesandcrossover

But, the country is much more apparent on his mother's CD, where he played guitar and mandolin:

http://www.myspace.com/bybeedjames1

If he really is playing guitar on the album, then it will take more time to complete it and it will be a little more of a challenge to record while on tour. So, I doubt we'll see an album from him by November. But, it doesn't sound like it's a done deal yet anyway.

numbers123
06-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Did PL become a groupie and decide to follow Adam's entire tour? :lol: I want to hear about her experience at the show.

I'll let her describe it in detail, but the concert was fab. Including the drunk guy who shook his booty during the warm-up for the opening acts.

There were two women who were world class hula hoopers. I couldn't decide if they were part of venue's staff or the concert staff/dancers. Eventually, the concert staff/dancers was my decision.

And I tried really hard to get a picture of the woman who had on a Hormel Spam shirt. :screaming: But she kept turning away from me and I wasn't brave enough to ask her to let me take her picture.

BigB08822
06-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Over the weekend Kelly Clarkson was in Nashville, probably working on her next album. She decided to go out for some karaoke and actually went on Twitter to let her fans know so they could show up and have some fun if they were in the area. I've always loved Kelly because of how down to earth she is, who else would do that? Quite a few fans showed up and some got to sing a song with her! There are videos on youtube if you want to do a quick search.

cailuj365
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM

MJ has a bunch of videos of Adam from MTV UK:

http://mjsbigblog.com/adam-lambert-mtv-uk-sessions-video.htm

There's really not another Idol in history who even approaches his showmanship and stage presence.

I really like the new video for IIHY. I'm not sure what exactly it has to do with the song, but it's such a cool look.

Thanks for the link! Holy 1980s lighting, Batman. I could barely see him. Killer vocals but I think the performances/choreography are vastly improved for the tour. I haven't watched many tour performances (trying not to spoil it for myself), but I love this performance of "Fever" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9UDSyYHIs) from the tour. :smokin:

I'm kind of indifferent to the IIHY video. It was definitely crazy but a little one-note. That video should come with a warning for epileptics. Fun though and I love the mad hatter look.

ETA: Since the video is a bunch of Adam's friends and him partying and dancing together, it's supposed to represent that no matter what race, sexuality, background, etc., everyone came come be merry and have a good time. Material things are worthless as long as "they all had each other." I don't think that came across at all, but nice try, Adam, haha.

BigB08822
06-23-2010, 04:13 AM
Kelly Clarkson tweeted that she finished recording the first song for the new album today. She said it was a duet but could not say who with. Everyone is 99% sure it is Daughtry. They recorded a duet for the last album but didn't like it so everyone thinks they found a new song, plus we have the video of them together covering "Fast Car" recently. Thought the Idol fans may find this news exciting.

Kruss
06-23-2010, 04:24 AM
OooooOOOOOoooo, I didn't even think about it being with Chris when I saw her tweet. Hmmm.... Would be cool!

BigB08822
06-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Another big hint is that someone else tweeted just a couple of days ago that they finished in the studio working on drums for Kelly and Chris. This tweet mysteriously disappeared a few hours after it was posted. That is a huge sign that someone said something they weren't supposed to.