PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Rob
05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
And of course the 4th place guy from 3 seasons ago trumps them all!

And not for record sales, but don't forget the 7th place Oscar, Golden Globe, Grammy winner.

skatingfan5
05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
I didn't watch a minute this season until last night when I just watched a little. I didn't even know who the finalists were. When the 6 women came out for a group number, I said "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, oh that one must be a finalist." Then I saw the bit with the 2 finalists and Joe Cocker and I couldn't even hear the guys voice at all. Was his microphone broken? Or just no power and no stage presence. Crystal was the clear stand out from what little I saw.I watched a bit more than that this season -- I think I caught at least two performances by Crystal and perhaps a total of four others over the past several weeks. My FOX channel has been coming in very clear or almost not at all and last night it was alternating between the two states. It came in for the Chicago set, and I was rather underwhelmed by Lee and his inability to stay on key. I can't believe that he won -- and, yes, I would rank him even lower than Taylor Hicks, who, as someone else already posted, could at least sing on key.
I used to watch more often until the season that Melinda Doolittle didn't win. Then I gave it up and I just tune in to see who wins. I am just not getting invested when these blahs win.That was exactly when I pretty much signed off the show. I thought Melinda Doolittle was fabulous and then she didn't even make the finals. :(

Allskate
05-28-2010, 12:19 AM
An interview with Bret talking about performing and about the medical precautions he took:

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/videobeta/d635a15a-5290-4f8c-ae3e-dbd3457c4134/Entertainment/Bret-Michaels-American-Idol-Performance

Didn't the majority of Jordin's radio plays come from her single with Chris Brown? She hasn't tanked, but she hasn't been all that impressive either. I can't see her having a longlasting career.

I wonder if Jordin will ever try making a country album. She was more in that mold when she auditioned for Idol. But, I guess they took her look and age and thought country wasn't her.

My guess is that Carrie's career will last the longest. Not just because of her talent, but because it just seems easier to get radio play, longevity, and loyalty in country music. If Kellie Pickler were a regular pop singer, I don't think she would have done nearly as well.

Meredith
05-28-2010, 12:37 AM
She talked about it in her interview with Ryan this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IedsUetHQ&feature=player_embedded

He couldn't have waited a week or two?

I thought Crystal seemed relieved on performance night. This explains it a bit.

PRlady
05-28-2010, 01:47 AM
I thought Melinda Doolittle was fabulous and then she didn't even make the finals. :(

Uh, yes, that's who I meant. Although the CD she released was "old blues" -- a genre I don't relate to at all. I was hoping she'd be a pop/Broadway/R&B type, but whatever.

Jumped the shark, AI has, and Lee will be the least-known of all the winners.

Cyn
05-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Uh, yes, that's who I meant. Although the CD she released was "old blues" -- a genre I don't relate to at all. I was hoping she'd be a pop/Broadway/R&B type, but whatever.

Jumped the shark, AI has, and Lee will be the least-known of all the winners.

AI didn't just jump the shark -- it jumped an entire tank full of them, plus Fonzie and his stupid motorcycle.

Cheylana
05-28-2010, 02:27 AM
I knew what the results were going to be -- and clearly Crystal and Lee did, too -- but I'm still disappointed. Crystal will be fine. It sucks that her boyfriend broke up with her on performance day this week, though. That's got to be stressful. I hope they let her make the kind of album she wants to make because she's got a good sense of what works for her.
What a total and complete jerk. He couldn't wait a couple more days?!? But that explains why she tweeted on performance day about having had a rough morning.

Crystal should have won but I am so glad she didn't. Now she can go on and be a BIG star like Chris Daughtery and not be contracted to play top 40 musak crap.
I think this is a myth that there is some special advantage to losing American Idol. The winner is guaranteed a contract, but the Idol machine still has first rights of refusal on the runner-up, and they have already exercised them - Crystal will be with RCA. Just like Adam last year. I hope RCA gives Crystal what she needs to succeed.

BigB08822
05-28-2010, 03:14 AM
I go by radio play, and Jordan (her lastest CD is a flop) was not played as much as Archuleta, Cook or even Bo Bice (who is still played). Taylor I heard once and it was awful. Lee is far better than Taylor but will fall somewhere between Cook and Lambert.

Kelly and Carrie have the most radio play, Rubin never made POP 40 stations he made Urban radio stations. Fantasia never made anything. I have never heard Kris Allen on the radio yet, well ok maybe once.

And of course the 4th place guy from 3 seasons ago trumps them all!

I'm sorry but you have a lot of things wrong. Bo Bice had exactly ONE song ever get any kind of substantial radio play. Jordin has had one of the biggest singles with No Air and a few others did quite well, including Battlefield from her latest album. To say she got less radio play than Bo Bice is incredibly wrong and misinformed. Fantasia has also had a lot of critical success and has in fact had quite a successful career on Urban radio. Going back to Jordin, she has actually had more radio play than the Idols you listed, more than all of them, Cook, Archuleta and Bice. She is probably only behind Kelly, Carrie, and Daughtry as far as radio success.

Catherine M
05-28-2010, 03:18 AM
I think this is a myth that there is some special advantage to losing American Idol. The winner is guaranteed a contract, but the Idol machine still has first rights of refusal on the runner-up, and they have already exercised them - Crystal will be with RCA. Just like Adam last year. I hope RCA gives Crystal what she needs to succeed.

Billboard is reporting that Crystal is with Jive, not RCA. Only Lee was signed to RCA.

Here's the article that discusses their deals:

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/exclusive-idol-s-dewyze-bowersox-sign-record-1004094362.story

BigB08822
05-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Not Jive, NOOO! By the way, Jive and RCA are all a part of the same company so it isn't as if RCA didn't want to sign her, they did, they just put her with a different team, effectively. This is bad, though. Jive doesn't promote their artists very much, they usually give them good material and then throw them out to the fishes, hoping for the best. It rarely works. They have done NOTHING for Allison Iraheta except giving her a great album with great songs but what good does it do when no one gets to hear it or know it is even out? Ugh! Isn't Kris with Jive, and he won.

phoenixflamezzz
05-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by BigB08822
Not Jive, NOOO! By the way, Jive and RCA are all a part of the same company so it isn't as if RCA didn't want to sign her, they did, they just put her with a different team, effectively. This is bad, though. Jive doesn't promote their artists very much, they usually give them good material and then throw them out to the fishes, hoping for the best. It rarely works. They have done NOTHING for Allison Iraheta except giving her a great album with great songs but what good does it do when no one gets to hear it or know it is even out? Ugh! Isn't Kris with Jive, and he won.

Jive has always been one of Sony's more profitable labels. Sure it's had some missteps, but so has RCA. Jive's ability to keep costs low while still selling more than enough to make a profit is what put former Jive boss Barry Weiss at the head of Sony. Jive has the ability to turn a profit on an album based solely on sales of singles and ringtones. It's not a super flashy label that is intent on chart placement, and its lower key artists don't always get the credit they deserve, but many of those artists are sitting comfortably because of the way Jive handles things.

I mean with only 300K in album sales, Kris was still their second most-profitable artist in 2009. You get out what you put in. Jive doesn't usually put in as much as RCA does, but they generally always turn a profit, which is why they RARELY drop artists, and RCA does at the drop of a hat.

RCA has the bigger Idol artists i.e. Kelly, Carrie, Cook, Daughtry, Adam, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jive generated more of a profit from Jordin's first album than RCA did with Cook's or Adam's.

Originally Posted by MOIJTO
Crystal should have won but I am so glad she didn't. Now she can go on and be a BIG star like Chris Daughtery and not be contracted to play top 40 musak crap
LOL,what kind of music do you think Daughtry makes? He's been successful, yes, but that doesn't mean his music still isn't mundane, faux-rock pop. And, oh yeah, he is as much a part of the Idol machine as the winners considering he's managed by 19.

BigB08822
05-28-2010, 03:47 AM
I know Jive is profitable, that is what I was talking about when I mentioned how they don't do much in the way of promotion. They don't spend the big money so they make a nice profit off of selling less. This doesn't mean crap for the artists, though. However, I suppose it is nice when they don't go around dropping everyone for selling less than 500,000 albums. It bodes well for getting at least 2 albums from Crystal, I will admit, but I like to see people do well and sell a lot and go on to do nice sized tours, etc.

rjblue
05-28-2010, 03:52 AM
LOL,what kind of music do you think Daughtry makes? He's been successful, yes, but that doesn't mean his music still isn't mundane, faux-rock pop. And, oh yeah, he is as much a part of the Idol machine as the winners considering he's managed by 19.
His music is played on all the pop stations on my Sirius radio - right after Nickelback and Train. It's about in the same category as Chicago would have been in the '70's.

WindSpirit
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
What a boring finale. I thought Simon was going to get a better send-off. Loved seeing many Idols together. Everyone looked great, but Kelly looked awesome, as well as Taylor. They sounded great, too. Well, except for this years Idols group numbers that were still lip synched, I think. Siobhan got confused or got behind at one moment and she was mouthing something different that the words we heard. Alice Cooper at 62 easily outsang the kids.

I liked Janet Jackson's Nasty. She looked hot in that pantsuit, the dancers were great. I also really like the dancers and choreography for the Pants on the Ground guy. I agree most of the numbers seemed so dated. Geez. Good seeing Bret Michaels. Casey seems like such a likable guy. I'm not into pretty guys, but I like the way he plays his guitar.

This year's show was a snooze. I didn't care who won. It was all so anti-climatic. I can't believe people are getting into fits about this season and even threaten to quit watching now. There was only one season (5) when I was emotionally invested and even then I don't remember having that kind of reaction. Just seems a little excessive. Don't worry about Crystal, if she's supposed to make it, she will anyway.

Crystal was the best singer they have ever had. Well, obviously you liked her the most, but the best singer out of Kelly, Kimberley, Carrie, Jennifer, Melinda, Paris, Allison, Elliott, Clay, Ruben, David, Adam and quite a few others? That's stretching it a little.

cailuj365
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Jive may be able to turn a profit for relatively little, but BigB08822 is right in that don't do a great job in giving their Idols promotion. Even though Kris has sold more singles than Adam, his name is still a "Who??" Until I told them yesterday, my friends who don't watch American Idol thought that Adam won last year just based on how much they had heard his name. Allison Iraheta may as well not even exist. :-/

Lee with RCA doesn't surprise me, but I think that label is getting crowded with the formerly-from-Idol Midwest lite-rocker type. I imagine that Cook and Lee will come out with new albums around the same time...I wonder who gets the most promotion. RCA does sell a lot more albums, but they do a horrible job at picking successful singles, which is key to radio success. Not sure if any of these labels are great. I think the best label for an artist to be on these days is Interscope (Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, etc.) but that's unfortunately not an option.

All this being said, if Lee or Crystal sells 150,000 copies of their album in the first week, that's going to be a huge success. It might even be difficult getting to 100,000. Kris didn't even get to 90,000. No one in the media cares that much about either, and neither are even that pretty to look at IMO. They're going to need great lead-in singles or else they'll both fade into obscurity.