PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Finals - May 25 and 26 (All Mediocre Things Must Come To An End)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

PRlady
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
I barely watched AI this year, barely posted here. Crystal was the only one from the top 12 I could foresee as a star, and I did download two of her songs. So AI keeps up its track record of not choosing the obvious star (Daugherty, Melissa, ADAM) and makes a fool of itself again.

Good riddance, one less thing to watch.

IceKween
05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I barely watched this season too. Crystal was the only redeeming part of it. Though Casey made good eye candy. I so do not get Lee, don't think he has a great voice or good looks or a charming personality or anything. How did he get those votes?
First ANTM was a dud, now AI. My television viewing is dropping at an alarming rate.

martian_girl
05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
She talked about it in her interview with Ryan this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IedsUetHQ&feature=player_embedded

He couldn't have waited a week or two?

If this would have come out sooner, the bitter, jilted girlfriend vote would have come out en masse. :P

But seriously, kudos to her for her composure and for not using this for sympathy.

taf2002
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Could this be Lee in 20 years?

PML...I would say probably since he's no stick now.

I barely watched AI this year, barely posted here. Crystal was the only one from the top 12 I could foresee as a star, and I did download two of her songs. So AI keeps up its track record of not choosing the obvious star (Daugherty, Melissa, ADAM) and makes a fool of itself again.

Good riddance, one less thing to watch.

Who is Melissa?

IceKween
05-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Melinda Doolittle?

taf2002
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
If she meant Melinda I agree 100%.

Kasey
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Seeing Bret performing and doing what he loves best absolutely made this finale for me :D

:respec::respec::respec: The absolute high point of the night.

Lee performing with zzzzzzzzzzzzzz Chicago seems somehow appropriate...

And yet, i'm sure that Lee was standing there thinking "Sh*t, this guy makes me sound good". The horns were still good, but the other part of Chicago sounded like they'd all CVA'ed.

Paula is infinitely more enjoyable and entertaining that Kara DioGuardi could ever hope to be.

And she was actually lucid. Not funny, but lucid.

Joe Cocker.. what's up with the voice?

Dude reminds me of a white Redd Foxx....voice....the walk like he has a load in his pants....all of it. I was waiting for "I'm coming, Elizabeth!!"

phoenixflamezzz
05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Lets see:

Kelly Clarkson---good success

Rubin Studdard---dud and gone

Fantasia---dud and gone

Carrie Underwood---very very successful in country, NOT top 40 crap.

Jordan Sparks---dud and almost gone

Taylor---geez can't even remember his name, never got to be dud he was gone before he started.

David Cook---great radio voice the best and good success so far

Kris Allen---Who?

Now---Lee Dewyne--remains to be seen but I suspect about the same as David Cook.

More non-winners have had success, I think!

not really. album sales wise, kelly, fantasia, carrie, jordin, and david all have sold the most from their seasons. reuben sold well, clay just sold better. and while adam is besting kris in album sales, for the amount of hype last season had, they've both been duds. adam is doing as well as archuleta is with about 100X more hype. and it definitely is not a daughtry/taylor situation where he sold 6X as many albums. that's probably the strongest argument for non-winners do so much better. and people talk about hudson's success, but most of that came off the heels of dreamgirls. she certainly has been a more successful actress than singer.

also, i'm not sure how you can call jordin a dud and cook a success when she's sold alot more singles than he did, and they sold about the same amount album wise. plus, she has TONS more radio presence.

also, while i might think lee is certainly the worse technical singer to ever win and crystal laid a smackdown on him, the idea that crystal will go on to mega success is doubtful. either way, with the ratings they were this season, and how lacking these itunes numbers are for crystal and lee compared to the same period in time last year for kris and adam, both of them won't make much of a dent. but they've both secured themselves careers as musicians, and that's probably good enough for them.

caseyedwards
05-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I think that Jordin Sparks had the biggest solo hits with Tatoo and No Air so she was no dud!

cruisin
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37368466/ns/today-entertainment/

Works for me :)!

Allskate
05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Apparently, they've been planning to have Bret in the finale for months. He sounds like he's in denial about the risks, though. Just because he's had three big problems doesn't mean he won't have more:

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/05/27/bret-michaels-american-idol-finale/

I think Casey got some good publicity out of this. I have a feeling 19 is going to sign him. We may hear about an album deal within the next few weeks.

Crystal's recorded version of "Up to the Mountain" is here:

http://www.popeater.com/2010/05/26/crystal-bowersox-up-to-the-mountain-single/

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37368466/ns/today-entertainment/

Works for me :)!

If they give Randy the boot, they won't have any of the original judges left. I think they should give Kara the boot. She's the most annoying, and I think she has a big negative effect on what the contestants sing and doesn't appreciate a broad enough range of music.

Neil Patrick Harris would be fantastic as a judge, but I'm not sure he could do it given his schedule. One of the contestants said they didn't think Harry Connick would be willing to be a judge because he wouldn't want to criticize. Every single contestant has raved about what a great mentor he was. Maybe one way to change up the show is to bring in real mentors and show that. (Maybe they can turn Kara into one.) It sounds like Harry was the only one who spent more than a few minutes of time with the contestants.

I'm also not sad to see Ricky Minor leave. If they could bring in a band with a more modern sound and some vocal coaches who didn't love cheesy background vocalists, that would be great.

MOIJTO
05-27-2010, 10:53 PM
not really. album sales wise, kelly, fantasia, carrie, jordin, and david all have sold the most

also, i'm not sure how you can call jordin a dud and cook a success when she's sold alot more singles than he did, and they sold about the same amount album wise. plus, she has TONS more radio presence.

I go by radio play, and Jordan (her lastest CD is a flop) was not played as much as Archuleta, Cook or even Bo Bice (who is still played). Taylor I heard once and it was awful. Lee is far better than Taylor but will fall somewhere between Cook and Lambert.

Kelly and Carrie have the most radio play, Rubin never made POP 40 stations he made Urban radio stations. Fantasia never made anything. I have never heard Kris Allen on the radio yet, well ok maybe once.

And of course the 4th place guy from 3 seasons ago trumps them all!

cruisin
05-27-2010, 11:03 PM
If they give Randy the boot, they won't have any of the original judges left. I think they should give Kara the boot. She's the most annoying, and I think she has a big negative effect on what the contestants sing and doesn't appreciate a broad enough range of music.

Neil Patrick Harris would be fantastic as a judge, but I'm not sure he could do it given his schedule. One of the contestants said they didn't think Harry Connick would be willing to be a judge because he wouldn't want to criticize. Every single contestant has raved about what a great mentor he was. Maybe one way to change up the show is to bring in real mentors and show that. (Maybe they can turn Kara into one.) It sounds like Harry was the only one who spent more than a few minutes of time with the contestants.

Yeah, I agree about Randy and getting rid of Kara. I'd get rid of Ellen too, she really didn't add anything this year. I would go back to 3 judges, 4 just takes up too much time. I suspect the only reason they did it was to equal out 2 guys, 2 gals.

NPH would be awesome! I don't know if he'd do it, but we can dream :).

Maybe HC Jr. would be better as a mentor than a judge. I can see where he would only be about constructive criticism. But, he was also messing with the contestants too. Maybe they could work out some sort of deal that he mentor the top 10 every year. Maybe they can make an effort to get more mentors as knowledgeable as HC Jr, who are there for mentoring not preening. Or maybe HC Jr. would actually make a great judge :)!

Rob
05-27-2010, 11:03 PM
I didn't watch a minute this season until last night when I just watched a little. I didn't even know who the finalists were. When the women came out for a group number, I said "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, oh that one must be a finalist." Then I saw the bit with the 2 finalists and Joe Cocker and I couldn't even hear the guys voice at all. Was his microphone broken? Or just no power and no stage presence. Crystal was the clear stand out from what little I saw.

I did the same thing last year - just watched a bit of the last show. All I heard was Adam, Adam, Adam all season, and he was good. Then I saw Kris and I was :huh:

I used to watch more often until the season that Melinda Doolittle didn't win. Then I gave it up and I just tune in to see who wins. I am just not getting invested when these blahs win.

phoenixflamezzz
05-27-2010, 11:08 PM
I go by radio play, and Jordan (her lastest CD is a flop) was not played as much as Archuleta, Cook or even Bo Bice (who is still played). Taylor I heard once and it was awful. Lee is far better than Taylor but will fall somewhere between Cook and Lambert.

Kelly and Carrie have the most radio play, Rubin never made POP 40 stations he made Urban radio stations. Fantasia never made anything. I have never heard Kris Allen on the radio yet, well ok maybe once.

And of course the 4th place guy from 3 seasons ago trumps them all!

Jordin's latest album didn't do much, true, but it spawned a very successful single. I'm not sure where you're getting your stats, but Billboard just did a recent Top 24 most successful Idols, and this is the breakdown of the radio plays of the names you mentioned.

Kelly: 4,260,000 plays.
Daughtry: 2,439,000 plays.
Carrie: 2,426,000 plays.
Jordin: 1,146,000 plays.
Fantasia: 624,000 plays.
Cook: 536,000 plays.
Ruben: 434,000 plays.
Jennifer Hudson: 314,000 plays.
Archuleta: 177,000 plays.
Kris: 165,000 plays.
Bo: 121,000 plays.
Adam: 91,000 plays.
Taylor: 21,000 plays.

Obviously, the older Idols have generally had more plays (i.e. Kris has only released one single so far compared to two for Cook and his mega-successful Idol coronation/Olympics song Magic Rainbows), but that Cook, Archuleta, and Bo have been played more than Jordin is just false.

And of course, Ruben never made pop 40 stations. He's an urban singer. As is Fantasia (who has accumulated over 2 million albums sold and has garnered 7 Grammy nominations, hardly what I would call "nothing"). And if Hudson hadn't beaten out Fantasia for that Dreamgirls role, we'd be telling a different story. Regardless, both Fantasia and Ruben have had a lot of success on on urban radio. Just like Carrie's aim is to get played on country radio, theirs is to get played on urban radio.