PDA

View Full Version : Skate for Hope 6/19 Columbus OH (Flatt, Weir, Hughes, SamBates, McLBru, John/Caitlin)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sylvia
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
"Skate for Hope" is an annual skating show held in Columbus, Ohio that benefits breast cancer research -- link to official site: http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HomePage&cvridirect=true

This year's show is on Saturday, June 19 at 5 p.m. and the headline skaters are: Rachael Flatt, Johnny Weir, Emily Hughes, Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates, Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker, and Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin.

For anyone interested, Skate for Hope (breast cancer show June 19 in Columbus, Ohio) has partnered with Figure Skaters Online to give away some tickets in a luxury box: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/contests/skate-for-hope/

HisWeirness
06-07-2010, 04:06 AM
The show organizers have posted a promotional video featuring Samuelson and Bates for the Skate for Hope event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7BSQsj6kz8

Sylvia
06-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Emily & Evan mention Ryan Bradley's name in the promo video but he's still recuperating from his foot surgery last month (Ryan's photo no longer on the "Headliners" poster on the event site).

Anyone planning to attend this show on Saturday and can report back here?

Sylvia
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Columbus (OH) Dispatch 6/17 article: Sisters prove triple threat in fight against breast cancer (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2010/06/17/sisters-prove-triple-threat-in-fight-against-breast-cancer.html)

Artistic Skaters
06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
It's the same day as the Columbus Pride celebration. Things are going to be exciting in that end of town.

kwanette
06-19-2010, 11:19 PM
A friend of mine is there and she did see the Gay pride Parade.

S/B skated to their OD, Rachael Flatt to "A Song For You"..Johnny skated to a beautiful #, piano music..my friend said that it was gorgeous and that Johnny skated beautifully, but she didn't know the song..

Intermission

jlai
06-19-2010, 11:30 PM

Johnny skated to a beautiful #, piano music..my friend said that it was gorgeous and that Johnny skated beautifully, but she didn't know the song..

Intermission

Wonder if it's Richard Clayderman's A Comme Amour

mmscfdcsu
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Johnny skated to a beautiful #, piano music..my friend said that it was gorgeous and that Johnny skated beautifully, but she didn't know the song..

Intermission

Yay! Johnny skated to something other than a kiddy number.:) I'm sure he is saving the gaga stuff for the second half :scream:

aftershocks
06-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Perhaps Johnny skated the most recent number he choreographed: Heartbroken -- which is performed to piano music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1Dk-NxfaM

jlai
06-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Then it is A Comme Amour

kwanette
06-20-2010, 01:36 AM
John and Caitlin skated to "Brickhouse", John was wearing "pleather"..she said it was a great #

Johnny did Gaga #2...and the crowd loved it.

Emily Hughes did a medley including "Big Girls Don't Cry"...

People were filming so hopefully some of the performances will be on youtube..

shan
06-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the reports! :cheer2:

aftershocks
06-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Then it is A Comme Amour

Yes, it must be. Thanks, jlai.

Yay! Johnny skated to something other than a kiddy number.:) I'm sure he is saving the gaga stuff for the second half :scream:

I love Johnny's Lady Gaga numbers (Poker Face, more than Bad Romance). I agree with the poster on youtube who said that adults too enjoy both sides of Johnny, the Lady Gaga routines which exhibit the sexy, fun side of Johnny, and the lyrical performances which showcase his elegance and grace. In the Heartbroken performance, we may be seeing yet another side of Johnny, more mature, expressive in an even more dramatic way, yet with simplicity, thoughtfulness, power and grace. I could watch this number over and over, and I have, seeing something new every time. The sleeveless unitard displays Johnny's muscular arms. He is wearing white gloves, and heavy eye makeup, which combined with his eloquent arm and hand movements and facial expressions reminds me of mime theater, and of the performances by actors in silent films.

Thanks for the reports, kwanette!

ryanbfan
06-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Did Ryan skate or not, because fsonline's twitter wished him good luck but he just had surgery... :confused:

I doubt he did, but I want to be sure.

igniculus
06-20-2010, 08:00 AM
In the Heartbroken performance, we may be seeing yet another side of Johnny, more mature, expressive in an even more dramatic way, yet with simplicity, thoughtfulness, power and grace. I could watch this number over and over, and I have, seeing something new every time.

I disagree with that. Hearthborken is IMHO the style that Johnny represented in the past, during the 04-06 era that had won him so many fans and admiration. It's a raw and beautiful, soft skating style with great posture and musicality, and a wonderful step towards the resurrection of that old style of his. It's a flourishing attempt among all the :yawn: Lady Gaga weirdness. IMO, there was no need for a second Lady Gaga number, because the first one was already really popular. Bad Romance number took away the Poker Face's originality, and reduced both programs to a cheezy attempt of appealing to a non-skating, Gaga-loving audience.