PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26

BigB08822
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Most people I know who are mad at the finale think that they were dead the ENTIRE time. Some people are such idiots!!! (sorry if anyone here thinks that, but...well, you're an idiot!)

Bev Johnston
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Most people I know who are mad at the finale think that they were dead the ENTIRE time. Some people are such idiots!!! (sorry if anyone here thinks that, but...well, you're an idiot!)

:rofl: You are so funny!

He doesn't want to accept what was put out there for us. I haven't heard the better idea, though.

Satellitegirl
07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Of course I didn't say anything about how I still get sad thinking of Jack laying there and dying on the Island while the plane flew overhead.....

Ugh I know! Tears me up still :(

lmarie086
07-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I miss LOST as well! I've solved the problem, however, by starting the series over and have watched almost all of season 1 the last two days (ohhhh happy, rainy days off from work). My brother has all the seasons so I'm burning copies so that my friends and I at school can still continue our LOST tuesdays!

Fergus
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Ugh I know! Tears me up still :(

Tears welled up watching that, but the minute Vincent ran up and laid down next to Jack, fuhgeddaboudit, the waterworks started. :dog:

genevieve
07-16-2010, 05:09 PM
The knucklehead that sits next to me at work was just complaining yesterday about the Lost finale and how mad he *still* is about it.
There are 2 guys in my office who followed LOST and they both HATED the finale. I haven't talked with them about it since right after the finale, but one was convinced that they were dead the whole time, but just overall they both felt gypped by the ending.

Jenny
07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
(((((joins in all the Lost nostalgia))))

It's unfortunate that one of the greatest things about this show, that made it so successful, also caused a lot of dissatisfaction as we edged closer to the conclusion, and then the finale itself. It was mysterious, and it invited and encourage speculation, which was hugely fun, but then as all our theories died one by one, inevitably they lost some fans and left others feeling unfulfilled or frustrated.

Perhaps over time, Lost will be appreciated for its entire story. I recall that many fans were very dissatisfied with Seinfeld's ending, me included, and it was only upon reflection and further viewing that I came to appreciate what they had done.

Lost DVD coming out next month!

tarotx
07-16-2010, 06:33 PM
There are 2 guys in my office who followed LOST and they both HATED the finale. I haven't talked with them about it since right after the finale, but one was convinced that they were dead the whole time, but just overall they both felt gypped by the ending.

Probably SKaters* :lol: Just joking. A fair amount of people on the internet didn't like the "Oh their lives were unhappy but it doesn't matter because in the end Heaven awaits" ending. I loved it. Having an afterlife doesn't negate the pain and loneliness of death and separation from loved ones. It was very bittersweet to me.

*Those into the Sawyer/Kate relationship.

Fergus
07-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Another two cents: IMHO, Josh Holloway was so hardcore robbed of an Emmy nomination this season.

genevieve
07-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Probably SKaters*
*Those into the Sawyer/Kate relationship.
No - that was me!! :P

The only Kate-related complaint I had about the finale was that they made it out like people still cared who Kate chose, when they finally went away from that storyline for most of the season. I mean, I'm sure someone still cared about the Sawyer/Kate/Jack triangle, but it felt to me like they just jammed that into a story that had already moved beyond.

Another two cents: IMHO, Josh Holloway was so hardcore robbed of an Emmy nomination this season.

Word.

ETA: forgot to say that I remembered my office mate LOSTies were livid because the show didn't answer Every.Damned.Question. That's an area where I felt very satisfied, but these two were quite upset that they did not get to know exactly what the island was and why it had the electromagnetic properties and who were the first people to live there and who built the statue and why were there dead people trapped on the island whispering and what was MIB's name and and and and...

I had a hard time understanding how they got interested in the show to begin with if they needed that level of detail.

Jenny
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
re the so-called triangle - I stopped fretting about that ages ago, because it was so clear to me that it was Sawyer and Juliet, and that it was Kate and Jack from the very beginning, and that had to come full circle. I actually found Kate and Jack's story very satisfying in the end.

re questions and answers - I'm actually glad they didn't answer everything, and at this point, it would have annoyed even more people whose theories would have been blown. When we look back at great stories of the past - plays, books, movies - much is often left to interpretation, and the study, scholarship and debate continues decades or centuries later. I can imagine that in years to come, one might study Lost in the way we study novels of the 19th and 20th centuries, or Shakespeare's plays, even Beatles lyrics.

Satellitegirl
07-16-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree, I found Kate and Jack's ending satisfying as well. Kate actually wasn't annoying and had warm quality in the finale...which was refreshing. Most of the time I had been rooting for her to be killed off lol. I didn't feel like that during the finale though...I was glad she was there for Jack.

And Sawyer and Juliet are one of my favorite couples in television history :) I just loved how they recognized one another.

Certainly don't regret starting up this thread again...this has been fun with all the nostalgia hehe.

genevieve
07-16-2010, 07:35 PM
re questions and answers - I'm actually glad they didn't answer everything, and at this point, it would have annoyed even more people whose theories would have been blown.
That was my point to them - that it was a great mix of answering a ton of questions along the way, but leaving lots of them up in the air for viewers to create their own answers. There's no way that ANY explanation of how the island came to be would be satisfactory...just see how viscerally poeople reacted to the Jacob/MIB episode. I also think it was very consistent with the show's main theme of faith vs. science that ultimately, you just needed to accept that the island IS.

Jenny
07-16-2010, 07:59 PM
That was my point to them - that it was a great mix of answering a ton of questions along the way, but leaving lots of them up in the air for viewers to create their own answers. There's no way that ANY explanation of how the island came to be would be satisfactory...just see how viscerally poeople reacted to the Jacob/MIB episode. I also think it was very consistent with the show's main theme of faith vs. science that ultimately, you just needed to accept that the island IS.

At the risk of getting all philosophical, the fact is we don't know all that much in RL either. Sure, people have theories about things, and science has answered many questions over the centuries, but there's still so much that we don't know or understand.

Therefore the idea that we must know exactly how the island came to be, who was there first, how its properties work etc is actually quite a stretch. We're all living in a world we don't fully understand, but we're getting on with it, just like the Losties did.

Indra486
07-16-2010, 09:53 PM
No - that was me!! :P

The only Kate-related complaint I had about the finale was that they made it out like people still cared who Kate chose, when they finally went away from that storyline for most of the season. I mean, I'm sure someone still cared about the Sawyer/Kate/Jack triangle, but it felt to me like they just jammed that into a story that had already moved beyond.

I always thought it was clear that Kate chose Jack during the Oceanic 6 years of their life. Even though, the only male in Kate's life post-freighter was Aaron. There were people who legit believed that Kate and Sawyer probably spent the rest of their off-island lives together before the died but it was pretty clear the Kate would be there for Aaron and Claire (and possibly be in jail for violating her 10 yr. stay-put parole).

That's an area where I felt very satisfied, but these two were quite upset that they did not get to know exactly what the island was and why it had the electromagnetic properties and who were the first people to live there and who built the statue and why were there dead people trapped on the island whispering and what was MIB's name and and and and...

I thought Ben and Locke (together and not together) briefly talked about this. On various occasions, Locke had said the island was a place of miracles. From there, Ben, in s4, said to Locke that the island needed to be protected because of the miracles it produced, like Locke recovering from his paralysis. Ben made the analogy that 500 flocked to Florida to see moss(?) that looked like the face of the virgin Mary and that if people knew about what the island can do, the same thing would happen and the island would be exploited.

I believe even Jacob mentioned something along the lines of how he brings people to the island, not only to prove MIB wrong, but to also give them a chance to let go of the baggage they had in the real world. Everyone there, except for flight attendant Cindy, had some serious issues to deal with.

Sure, none of what I said sounds anything like a tangible answer, other than just spirituality. There are a bunch of people who think the spirituality and the supernatural part of the series was a cop out but I'm not sure what people were expecting after they watched season 1. It was pretty clear that the element of spirituality was going to be a big part of the series; from black horses, "reincarnated" boars, a giant smoke monster, a four-toe statue, and several medical miracles. In the end, there are no definite answers, other than Locke was right (as declared by Jack, who was a man of science).

ETA: I just remembered that Jacob explained to Richard that the island was a cork to hold in the evil, which adds more to the supernatural aspect of the island. Okay, I need to stop now. :lol: I will say that I still think Nestor Carbonell wuzrobbed of an emmy nod.