PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26

Satellitegirl
05-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah I actually thought that after I typed it. Knew it was a symbol for a religion, just couldn't remember which. Thanks :)

tarotx
05-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Matthew Fox has retired from acting, owns a winery in Modesto, California, and is moving (with his family) to Portland, Oregon, where his mother and two brothers live.

Foxy hasn't actually retired from acting though he is moving to Oregon. He just wants to do movies. We'll see what happens with that.

PeterG
06-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I've finally caught up on reading everybody's posts. I had lots to say in response, but figured someone else would respond before I got a chance to, so I'm only responding to a few things from the last page or two of posts.

Was it Jimmy Kimmel who said that Lost was Jack's story? For the most part, the series covered events which had an impact on Jack and those he cared about. The finale was about Jack coming to terms with things that happened in his life, so the church scene was Jack's version of him moving on.

The church was not anyone else's story. It wasn't Sawyer's...his would have happened outdoors or at a truck show or something. Juliet's story would have concluded at some harmonious spot like a spa retreat centre. Sayid's story may have concluded in a mosque.

Everyone's story would have happened when they had resolved whatever was necessary for them to move on to...somewhere more peaceful. I was going to say that everyone's story would have happened at a different time, but once a person dies, time has no meaning or relevance any more. Things just happen when they happen and have no relation to any other person, time or event.

The reason Dr. Shepard, Sr., was in the series, even though he was dead almost from the beginning, was because he and Jack still had issues they had to resolve......

Wasn't Christian Shepard in very few scenes? Only the finale and the rare flashback scene? And most of the time we saw Christian, it was really the smoke monster/MIB?

It's been a long time since I went to Catholic school but in a nutshell purgatory, for my understanding, was basically a holding tank for people who died "in a state of grace" and once they atone or amend their sins/mistakes/wrongdoings they can move on to Heaven ie.. these lost souls need to deal with and come to terms with their shit before they move on and find peace/happiness with harps and singing angels :)

I don’t see the sideways world as purgatory at all and....

I think Vincent should have been in the church. This is my one disappointment with that scene. Dogs go to Heaven, too, and Vincent was one of the original characters.

...I don't see "the light" seen at the very end as heaven.

Perhaps it's just the atheist in me! :lol: To me, sideways world was simply a resting place where people had as much time as they needed to bring about a resolution to their lives. And when they were ready, they moved on to a place where their worldly burdens had all been released.

Frankly I found it a little sappy that after playing mix and match with several of the characters for six years, they put everyone together in supposedly it-was-meant-to-be-all-along major meaningful romances. Some of them I'll buy, but others - like say Sayid and Shannon or Hurley and Libby whose romances were barely days long, as opposed to Sayid's decades long devotion to Nadia - didn't seem on par with the deeper connection that Sawyer and Juliet, or Rose and Bernard had.

If Lost actually was Jack’s story…then Nadia would not be in the church as she was not part of Jack's experience (Shannon was, however). I would expect in "Sayid's ending" that both women would have been present. :)

I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. I enjoyed every single episode and will miss it this fall. I don't understand why some people wanted it to be over in half the time.

Lost to me was like people telling REALLY good stories around the campfire at night. Why would anybody want that to end?? :D

There were some episodes in Season 2 and 3 that were pretty bleh not necessary to the grand scheme of things (like where Jack got his tattoos, Sawyer's daughter, and Kate meeting up with Sawyer's ex-girlfriend), but they didn't have an end date and they were trying to stretch things out. The pacing of the series improved dramatically once they decided 3 more seasons and we are done.

I never saw Lost as a race. Just great storytellers entertaining us. In the middle of the series, the public started complaining about not getting enough answers, so the producers realized that they could not continue to tell more stories about all of the characters (not to mention the stories of some of the 48 Losties we never met - that was scrapped after the public outcry in regards to the couple everyone hated - who ended up getting buried alive).

So instead of getting who knows how many extra years of stories from all of the character's pasts, the producers cut out all the things we could have experienced about these people and instead the producers changed their focus to ending the show. I will always be a bit angry that an impatient public robbed us of extra storytelling. :( :mad:

Apparently Mr. Eko was supposed to be in the church, but the actor demanded 5 times what the show was offering and they did not come to terms.

What an ass! I'm so glad they decided he wasn't worth an extra cent.

Bostonfan
06-02-2010, 03:23 AM
I can't remember where I read it, but Mr. Eko was intended to be a more sizable role. However the actor playing him didn't ultimately like being so far away from England and wanted out - so the creators decided to expand Ben's role beyond what they originally envisioned. And what a stroke of luck that was for all the viewers. Michael Emerson made that role iconic!

manhn
06-02-2010, 07:34 AM
So instead of getting who knows how many extra years of stories from all of the character's pasts, the producers cut out all the things we could have experienced about these people and instead the producers changed their focus to ending the show. I will always be a bit angry that an impatient public robbed us of extra storytelling. :( :mad:

That's an excellent way of looking at things. I suppose someone will argue that without an end date, the show would've continued to meander and to produce "meaningless" episodes, and the audience would've left in such droves that the show would've been cancelled prior to a sixth season (or before the writers would've been able to write a decent finale). I do not subscribe to such thinking.

My favourite aspect of the show was how each episode focused on one character. You really got to know the character and the actor was able to show off their chops. Most shows tend to have their episodes divided into various subplots. Some people go on and on about how they hate a specific character (usually, Jack or Kate), but while that character may be the focus of one episode, there are stretches of episodes where they are barely given any lines.

Skate Talker
06-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Apparently Mr. Eko was supposed to be in the church, but the actor demanded 5 times what the show was offering and they did not come to terms.

What an ass! I'm so glad they decided he wasn't worth an extra cent.

I can't remember where I read it, but Mr. Eko was intended to be a more sizable role. However the actor playing him didn't ultimately like being so far away from England and wanted out - so the creators decided to expand Ben's role beyond what they originally envisioned. And what a stroke of luck that was for all the viewers. Michael Emerson made that role iconic!

Reading between the lines and coming up with my own conclusion this says to me that the actor didn't want to make such a long trip to do the final show but rather than just saying no decided to place a very high value on his time and if they decided to accept at least would have found it worth while and if they didn't - that would be fine too - sort of let the chips fall where they may so I don't see him as an ass at all. I can't see that his appearance in the finale would have made this show any different quite honestly and I'm sure he was probably aware of this too rather than thinking he could just name his own price and they would fall all over themselves to agree to his terms.

I so totally agree that if this actor's leaving the show early was in any way responsible for the expansion of Michael Emerson's role then Hallelujah for that. I really loved to hate Ben - such a complex character played to a "t".

skatingfan5
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but Mr. Eko was intended to be a more sizable role. However the actor playing him didn't ultimately like being so far away from England and wanted out - so the creators decided to expand Ben's role beyond what they originally envisioned. And what a stroke of luck that was for all the viewers. Michael Emerson made that role iconic!You may have read it a week ago in this very thread (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2770214&postcount=247).

I so totally agree that if this actor's leaving the show early was in any way responsible for the expansion of Michael Emerson's role then Hallelujah for that. I really loved to hate Ben - such a complex character played to a "t".That's the producers' story -- see NYT's article linked in the post referred to above.

Skate Talker
06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
So last night I saw Evangeline Lily on Craig Ferguson (maybe a repeat?). The interesting thing is that she did not like living in Hawaii either for the first 3 seasons. Obviously she decided to stick it out though, or maybe just had fewer opportunities elsewhere. Whatever - just trying to say it's more than understandable that some of the actors didn't like being so far from home for such long periods of time.

Also caught a repeat of Josh Holloway on a talk show the night before. Thought the bit where he explained being alert to not being easily seen in the crowd shots so he wouldn't have to stand there all day, or at least finding a spot with a tree to lean against or something was pretty :lol:

Jenny
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Also caught a repeat of Josh Holloway on a talk show the night before. Thought the bit where he explained being alert to not being easily seen in the crowd shots so he wouldn't have to stand there all day, or at least finding a spot with a tree to lean against or something was pretty :lol:

:lol: Reminds me of story about the filming of We Three Kings with George Clooney. I think it was Mark Wahlberg who, when they filmed a scene where a tanker of milk exploded, jumped out of the way so he wouldn't have to spend the next several days soaked in milk to shoot the rest of the scenes.

Peaches LaTour
06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Wasn't Christian Shepard in very few scenes? Only the finale and the rare flashback scene? And most of the time we saw Christian, it was really the smoke monster/MIB?

No, actually, Christian was in the show quite a bit, in the beginning, with Jack's flashbacks; he also had quite a long scene in the bar in Sydney with Sawyer who later related to Jack what Christian had said that day (about being proud of his son, blah, blah).

Remember, too, that although the smoke monster took the form of Christian a couple of times on the island, Christian appeared to Jack several times off the island as well. Once, I believe, he even told Jack that he wasn't supposed to raise Aaron.

Satellitegirl
07-16-2010, 02:09 PM
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b190306_next_up_losts_michael_emerson_true_blood.h tml

E! talked with Michael Emerson....he says he'd love to be on True Blood(where his wife is) in a part, if they had the right part for him. Alan Ball apparently said he'd like to have him on the show somehow.

He also talks about Emmy nominations and how happy he is that Lost was recognized.

Anyone else still get teary when thinking about the finale? :( *sigh*

Jimena
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Anyone else still get teary when thinking about the finale? :( *sigh*

Me. :( Everytime I see a picture of Jack with Vincent I get all sad.

stanhope
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm still sad that it is over. No more LOST, ever. :(

BigB08822
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I didn't know Arlene from True Blood was his wife! Neat!

Bev Johnston
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
The knucklehead that sits next to me at work was just complaining yesterday about the Lost finale and how mad he *still* is about it. Geez. I told him he needed to let it go and move on.

Of course I didn't say anything about how I still get sad thinking of Jack laying there and dying on the Island while the plane flew overhead.....