PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Lorac
05-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I honestly don't see how anyone can think it ended how they figured. This was not the type of ending anyone suggested early on. The whole early purgatory theory thing applied to the island itself, and that isn't how it turned out. They all lived their lives as long as possible, some getting off the island even. The only similarity was where they all went when they died, which was purgatory-esque.

Also you missed a lot of great scenes and acting and storyline by not watching 2-5. I'm happy I went on the journey. These are some of the richest most moving characters I've encountered on TV.

Exactly - I have a friend who has been bragging that she called it in season one as well - but her idea was exactly as you stated - that the Island was purgatory and that they had all died in the crash - throwing the final scenes of the deserted crash site (which we now know was ABC not the producers) as confirmation of her theory!!

I am also pleased I went on the journey - I grew to love these characters and I think that was why I felt so empty on Monday - as if I had really lost close friends - people I cared about!!! It was a great ride and I'm glad I was there for it!!

Jenny
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
In addition to the show itself, I really enjoyed thinking about it, researching it, and talking it over with people throughout the series. I can't remember any show or movie or book that I've ever experienced like this, and it was great while it lasted :)

marbri
05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I didn't say I didn't watch seasons 2-5. I said I didn't spend seasons 2-5 trying to figure it all out. :P

And I'm not bragging about anything. It had purgatory-esque written all over it in season one and all over the finale. I am one who believes they dragged this shit out for far too many seasons because it was such a huge hit. I think we could have gotten where we were going in at least half the seasons it took us to get there and still gotten all those great personal storylines.

manhn
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
What's more annoying than not watching seasons 2-5 is not reading pages 4-13 of this thread.

Jenny
05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
My understanding of purgatory is a place where people are caught between worlds, in limbo, unable to do much but sit around and wait.

IMO there is nothing about Lost that equates to that - the sideways world, the island, and certainly not any part of season one, when all the main characters were quite clearly alive and living on present day Earth.

marbri
05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
It's been a long time since I went to Catholic school but in a nutshell purgatory, for my understanding, was basically a holding tank for people who died "in a state of grace" and once they atone or amend their sins/mistakes/wrongdoings they can move on to Heaven ie.. these lost souls need to deal with and come to terms with their shit before they move on and find peace/happiness with harps and singing angels :)

And children (unless they weren't baptized) skipped purgatory and were fast tracked to Heaven.

Bev Johnston
05-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I didn't say I didn't watch seasons 2-5. I said I didn't spend seasons 2-5 trying to figure it all out. :P

And I'm not bragging about anything. It had purgatory-esque written all over it in season one and all over the finale. I am one who believes they dragged this shit out for far too many seasons because it was such a huge hit. I think we could have gotten where we were going in at least half the seasons it took us to get there and still gotten all those great personal storylines.

Well, sure, they could've made it a two hour movie of the week, and then all of those who complained about wasting years would've only wasted two hours. I guess then those angry time wasters could've gone about using their time much more valuably, like in finding the cure for cancer or something. But no, darn Lost made them waste years.

I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. I enjoyed every single episode and will miss it this fall. I don't understand why some people wanted it to be over in half the time.

Yehudi
05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
There were some episodes in Season 2 and 3 that were pretty bleh not necessary to the grand scheme of things (like where Jack got his tattoos, Sawyer's daughter, and Kate meeting up with Sawyer's ex-girlfriend), but they didn't have an end date and they were trying to stretch things out. The pacing of the series improved dramatically once they decided 3 more seasons and we are done.

One thing I liked about Lost is they didn't hand everything to the audience on a silver platter. A lot of the so-called questions were things one could figure out for themselves and even if it is not completely answered, you have a pretty good idea of what it is.

marbri
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, sure, they could've made it a two hour movie of the week, and then all of those who complained about wasting years would've only wasted two hours. I guess then those angry time wasters could've gone about using their time much more valuably, like in finding the cure for cancer or something. But no, darn Lost made them waste years.

I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. I enjoyed every single episode and will miss it this fall. I don't understand why some people wanted it to be over in half the time.

:lol: If I sound angry then let me correct that. I'm not angry. I laugh and say bravo ABC and Lost writers for stringing me along. I do worry about your emotional involvement into this show though when you resort to bringing that curing cancer cliche into this discussion. May God, Jacob, MiB, Jack, Hurley, Ben and whoever else rocks your world be with you and give you the strength to get through future seasons Lostless :D;)

skatingfan5
05-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I've never understood why people say that they wasted 6 years by watching/following L O S T -- was that the major focus of their being for that time span? The show was less than 140 hours of the 52,560 hours that make up 6 years. Seems a bit of an over-reaction for less than 1/4 of 1 percent of one's time. Unless, of course, one was obsessive about the show -- as obsessive as some of us on FSU are about figure skating. :lol:

BigB08822
05-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Several times this season, we heard Jacob and MIB making promises to people - supposedly granting them wishes in exchange for doing what they wanted them to do (ie Dogen - I'll save your son, but now you must serve me). MIB offered Sayid anything he wanted - and I think he wanted Nadia to be alive, safe and happy.

I think Jacob and MIB were simply tapping into their psyches, the same ones that "created" sideways world as a way of resolution. Therefore, I do think that Sayid was always meant to be with Nadia, the great love of his life, and that they only put him with Shannon at the end because they could get Maggie Grace for the finale.

If she really was his great love, then surely they would have mentioned her a bit more often in the years since she died, or had her on the plane at the start of this season, or in Sayid's sideways, or something.

I don't think the point is that everyone was with their "true love" or their "biggest love" during their lives. They were with the people who were with them during the most important times of their lives. They were all together but we saw Sayid and Shannon more closely together because they had the strongest connection and intimacy with each other. The most important thing is the group as a whole, you can't focus on pairings. Some of them did not have a pairing, such as Boone.

manhn
05-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Sayid never mentioned Nadia's name. For all we know, he really meant Shannon. On the Island, he told MIB that the woman he loved died in his arms. Shannon died in Sayid's arms, not Nadia.

Shannon's death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgGwhdnp4-g

Nadia's death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTC9L3GooU

walei
05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Rewatched the finale last night, and I think I changed my mind regarding whether or not the writers had this planned all along. Up until now I really had doubts whether the writers really knew where they were going with the story. But one scene last night changed my mind: When Kate said "Christian Shepard, seriously?!" :D

Although I am still disappointed that a lot of the island mysteries and mythologies were deemed unimportant by the writers because they stated over and over again this show is about the characters.

I guess my problem was during each hiatus the show promotions were totally going viral and feeding the fan base all the mythologies and got the fan base into analyzing in bitter details all those web sites like the Hanso Foundation, compare to next-to-nothing regarding Jack & the gangs. Then in the end the writers tell us this is a character show so don't worry too much about all the mysteries. I respect that so I still love the finale and think it's one of the best series finale I've ever watched but wished we were given a bit more of the mythology behind it.

screech
05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I was rewatching it yesterday and was wondering if any other fans of Alias (also by JJ Abrams) were reminded of Sloane being immortal and trapped in a cave when all the stuff in the cave of light was going on. I half expected Jack Bristow to show up and blow up the cave.

I did like the Titanic-ish aspect of the finale, but the whole purgatory thing, needing to 'move on', however it's to be interpreted, just kind of irritated me.

I also kind of wish we had seen how Boone became enlightened (probably through Locke).

In good news, Michael Emerson promises there will be an epilogue on the DVD (http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/05/lost-michael-emerson-promises-an-epilogue-on-the-dvd.html)

"It's a lot. It's 12 or 14 minutes that opens a window onto that gap of unknown time between Hurley becoming number one and the end of the series. It's self-contained, although it's a rich period in the show's mythology that's never been explored."

He put the kibosh on the idea of a spin-off, but there could be so many great spin offs of the show. Miles and Sawyer in a buddy cop show. Richard trying to get used to living in the 21st century. Anything having to do with Desmond. A high school drama with Locke, Ben, Arzt and Alex.

Yehudi
05-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Richard trying to get used to living in the 21st century. Anything having to do with Desmond. A high school drama with Locke, Ben, Arzt and Alex.

Richard has spent time off the island. He seemed to know how to run a web cam and a powerpoint presentation. And don't forget the Others have several real world fronts. I imagine he's off somewhere running his biotech corporation or working at that butcher shop where they kept Locke's body.

The spinoff I'd like to see is "My Two Moms" starring Kate and Claire, and recurring appearances from Uncle Sawyer, Uncle Miles, Uncle Frank and his 150 year old uncle Richard.

BTW, the Ben and Hurley epilogue is in the complete collection and not the Season 6 set. I'm hoping the complete collection has a very detailed commentary track or pop up scheme that will explain things in earlier episodes.