PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Yehudi
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Accidentally wrote this in the wrong thread but anyway....

I kind of view the sideways world as being like Narnia. There, time passed much differently than the real world. The kids spend 15 years there and then come back and find out only 15 minutes passed since they went into the wardrobe. Conversely, in the last book, Tirian calls for help and a few minutes later, Eustace and Jill show up. But it took them about a week or two in their own time to actually get there.

The ending is also somewhat similar with Diggory and Polly, both elderly by that time, finding themselves returned to the state in which they first entered Narnia.... as well as everyone being dead

tarotx
05-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Live together or die alone. It's living, searching&finding our way in life and the people we form important lasting relationships with and/or the ones formed during the most important times in our lives that is our constants.

Shannon was the first relationship that Sayid had while others (and in result himself) thought him a good guy. Plus Sayid was her only grown up romantic relationship.

DianeO
05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
IMO, what triggered everyone's memory in the sideways world and allowed them to move on was LOVE--the feeling the Losties got when they saw their loved ones or touched them. It was so powerful. If the love of your life is also your constant, then I guess "constants" were important, but I never 'got into' that whole theory with Faraday that one season.

stanhope
05-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Upon re-watching the finale, one thing struck me. How was Desmond aware of the "sideways" world (or purgatory) when he was on the island in "real" life? In the episode where Widmore put him through the test in that machine, that is when Desmond saw the sideways world. He then tells Jack that "none of this matters," right before Jack and NotLocke lower him down to the light. Desmond tells Jack that he knows of a place where they can all go and be with the ones they love. Desmond doesn't seem to know this place is where you go after death. Thoughts?

tarotx
05-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Des got a glimpse of the afterlife and all it's potential. He knew that he would go on to another life with Penny. He was ready to die. Kind of a call back to him trying to prevent Charlie's Death and then accepting that he couldn't (especially now that there was a chance to see Penny again;))

Lorac
05-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Des got a glimpse of the afterlife and all it's potential. He knew that he would go on to another life with Penny. He was ready to die. Kind of a call back to him trying to prevent Charlie's Death and then accepting that he couldn't (especially now that there was a chance to see Penny again;))

I don't think he was aware it was the afterlife however - not in his Island persona. That's why he though he could get there when he uncorked the source. Which in fact he could - but not until Jack re-plugged it and Desmond could go on to live his life and then get to the afterlife to set up the "awakenings" - his own included!!

Oh and did anyone else notice that between Kate stepping out of the jeep at the church and Jack re-joining her she had changed from the LBD to a more practical top and pants - better to "move on" in I assume :D

figurefan
05-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Shannon was the first relationship that Sayid had while others (and in result himself) thought him a good guy. Plus Sayid was her only grown up romantic relationship.

I also think Sayid was never meant to be with Nadia. They got together when he was part of the Oceanic 6 but then she was killed. In the sideways reality she was with his brother.

I think he was always meant to be with Shannon, they were soul mates, constants or whatever you want to call them.

Jimena
05-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I think island-Desmond didn't really understand what the sideways world was.

One thing that has stayed in my mind: didn't Desmond say that Claire would get rescued and that in order for that to happen Charlie needed to die? And that she would get into a helicopter? And whatever happened with Desmond's ability to see the future? Could he only see Charlie's death?

I honestly don't remember.

walei
05-26-2010, 03:27 AM
This makes total sense to me.

Not directed at you dear Satellitegirl, but when will fans give up this theme of constants? It was a minor thing in Faraday's head that he later said wasn't even the most important thing - he said it was not the constants but the *variables,* the human element, that mattered most.

But isn't the finale telling us Daniel was wrong the whole time? There was no variable, the jughead blowing up didn't cause a new time line to occur. Like Miles said, whatever happened happened.

They were always meant to travel back to the 70's -> detonate the jughead -> contain the EM energy -> Dharma build the Swan Station to monitor the EM -> need someone to press the buttons every 108 minutes -> Desmond fail to do so -> 815 crash. Daniel wasn't the variable like he proposed, his action was always part of what suppose to happen.

manhn
05-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I think island-Desmond didn't really understand what the sideways world was.

One thing that has stayed in my mind: didn't Desmond say that Claire would get rescued and that in order for that to happen Charlie needed to die? And that she would get into a helicopter? And whatever happened with Desmond's ability to see the future? Could he only see Charlie's death?

I honestly don't remember.

The Oceanic Six (and Desmond and Lapidus) were in the helicopter, not Claire. I like one theory that Desmond really only saw Aaron with a woman holding him. He assumed that woman was Claire, when it was actually Kate.

Desmond's flashes stopped when he was on the phone with Penny in "The Constant."

Someone asked me where I read that Josh Halloway wanted to focus on movies. I read it in Entertainment Weekly--the Lost special edition from a few weeks ago. I think you can now borrow it from the library.

Yehudi
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Turns out, the wreckage scenes were ABC's doing and not the Lost producers'

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b182886_lost_more_proof_they_did_not_all_die_in.ht ml

Satellitegirl
05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/25/geek-out-five-unanswered-lost-finale-questions/?hpt=Sbin

I like what this says about Rose telling Jack to "let go" at the beginning of the season basically. She already knew and was trying to get him to let go so he could move on. :) Gives me chills.

And reading Damon Lindelof's final tweet made me cry again. http://twitter.com/DamonLindelof/status/14609826836 I'll miss it more than I can ever say as well.

Good to know the wreckage was added by ABC and not Damon and Carlton. I never thought it meant they all died. I thought it was just a way for people to reflect on it all at the end. As they said, to transition better into watching something else.

Jenny
05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Oh and did anyone else notice that between Kate stepping out of the jeep at the church and Jack re-joining her she had changed from the LBD to a more practical top and pants - better to "move on" in I assume :D

I noticed! Perhaps she messed up her dressing delivering Aaron, but then one does wonder where she got the second outfit!

I also think Sayid was never meant to be with Nadia. They got together when he was part of the Oceanic 6 but then she was killed. In the sideways reality she was with his brother.

Several times this season, we heard Jacob and MIB making promises to people - supposedly granting them wishes in exchange for doing what they wanted them to do (ie Dogen - I'll save your son, but now you must serve me). MIB offered Sayid anything he wanted - and I think he wanted Nadia to be alive, safe and happy.

I think Jacob and MIB were simply tapping into their psyches, the same ones that "created" sideways world as a way of resolution. Therefore, I do think that Sayid was always meant to be with Nadia, the great love of his life, and that they only put him with Shannon at the end because they could get Maggie Grace for the finale.

If she really was his great love, then surely they would have mentioned her a bit more often in the years since she died, or had her on the plane at the start of this season, or in Sayid's sideways, or something.

But isn't the finale telling us Daniel was wrong the whole time? There was no variable, the jughead blowing up didn't cause a new time line to occur. Like Miles said, whatever happened happened.

Faraday's science was always a work in progress. He thought detonating Jughead would blow up the island and reset the future, when it fact it contained the energy and reset everyone to 2007, without changing anything that had happened in the interim.

I think he did prove that the most important force in nature (for the purposes of this story anyway) is the human element, or the variable - because in the end, the show told us that all the "rules" could be broken, and that human free will and faith prevails over all.

marbri
05-26-2010, 04:43 PM
:rofl: Finally caught the finale and it ended pretty much the way I thought it would when watching season One. Glad I didn't spend seasons 2-5 trying to figure out what it was all about. Those little buggers :lol:

Satellitegirl
05-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I honestly don't see how anyone can think it ended how they figured. This was not the type of ending anyone suggested early on. The whole early purgatory theory thing applied to the island itself, and that isn't how it turned out. They all lived their lives as long as possible, some getting off the island even. The only similarity was where they all went when they died, which was purgatory-esque.

Also you missed a lot of great scenes and acting and storyline by not watching 2-5. I'm happy I went on the journey. These are some of the richest most moving characters I've encountered on TV.