PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

dbell1
05-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm going with my 'find a happy place' theory and believe that Rose, Bernard and Vincent, the eville :dog: o' doom lived out their life on the island. Vincent went for long walks with Hurley while Rose & Bernard stuck to their 'we are so NOT getting involved' plan. Maybe Vinny drank the 'eternal life' water and never died?

Satellitegirl
05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
haha, someone else that I was talking to mentioned that too....Vincent could have drank the water from the eternal life fountain and lived forever on the island :) I like that thought.

Jimena
05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
So I guess Juliet was just confused, when she died, thinking that the bomb had reset everything, when in fact she was already in the place where time didn't exist, "living" waiting for the others to join her. So she probably had a glimpse of it right as she was dying, and thought the bomb had worked.

I thought that when Juliet was dying she said some of the things in her conversation with Sawyer in their reunion in the Sideways world- so she kind of went there as she died. She said "it worked" when the vending machine dropped the candy bar, she said "we should get coffee some time", "we can go dutch", etc.

I thought that was really neat.

Bev Johnston
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
So I guess Juliet was just confused, when she died, thinking that the bomb had reset everything, when in fact she was already in the place where time didn't exist, "living" waiting for the others to join her. So she probably had a glimpse of it right as she was dying, and thought the bomb had worked.

I don't know, but that had to be my favorite scene of the finale.

Satellitegirl
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20313460_20387498,00.html?hpt=C2

I just read the best/worst moments, and seeing the Desmond/Penny "constant" picture made me realize that's what the producers were trying to tell us then. And we saw what everyone's constant was, throughout the series. Kate and Jack were each other's constants. Sawyer and Juliet. Jin and Sun. Hurley and Libby, etc etc.

Also, they showed where Miles dug up Nikki and Paulo's diamonds....maybe when he got off the island he was rich as can be :)

Picture of Sawyer dripping wet coming out of the water? That always kept me watching through the slower episodes :swoon:

Rob
05-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Apparently Mr. Eko was supposed to be in the church, but the actor demanded 5 times what the show was offering and they did not come to terms.

skatingfan5
05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Apparently Mr. Eko was supposed to be in the church, but the actor demanded 5 times what the show was offering and they did not come to terms.According to this NYT's interview (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/arts/television/16weblost.html?pagewanted=1) with Lindelof and Cuse, Mr. Eko was supposed to have a much larger presence in the show, but Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje didn't like being in Hawaii away from his friends in London. Mr. Eko's loss was Ben's gain -- and Michael Emerson's. :)

On the other hand, we had all these fantastic intentions for this character Mr. Eko, played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. But the guy got down to Hawaii, his whole crew that he rolled with was in London, he was 8,000 miles away, and he hated being there. So we were forced to completely cut bait on Mr. Eko. Itís not like J. K. Rowling; we donít control every aspect of our world. We work and collaborate with many other artists, and he didnít want to be on the show. Now, by pruning that branch, that ended up giving us room and space to do more with Michael Emersonís character, and so suddenly Ben sort of blossomed forth, perhaps sooner and maybe to a greater degree than he would have had we been servicing Mr. Eko.

genevieve
05-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Apparently Mr. Eko was supposed to be in the church, but the actor demanded 5 times what the show was offering and they did not come to terms.
That's really unfortunate.

But yes, the loss of Mr Eko was the show's gain, since Ben was one of the best things about the show.

Jenny
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
When Juliet said "it worked," it could be that she was already in Sideways world because I think she said "it worked" when the candy bar dropped in the vending machine. Followed, of course, by the coffee-dutch part.

This makes total sense to me.

I just read the best/worst moments, and seeing the Desmond/Penny "constant" picture made me realize that's what the producers were trying to tell us then. And we saw what everyone's constant was, throughout the series. Kate and Jack were each other's constants. Sawyer and Juliet. Jin and Sun. Hurley and Libby, etc etc.

Not directed at you dear Satellitegirl, but when will fans give up this theme of constants? It was a minor thing in Faraday's head that he later said wasn't even the most important thing - he said it was not the constants but the *variables,* the human element, that mattered most.

If constants mattered that much then surely it would have come up again in the subsequent seasons, no?

:wall:

In a way I almost think that the producers did the whole thing to tell fans that you can try and figure this thing out (like Faraday) and make it all fit together, but it's really about the people, and you can't keep trying to cram square pegs (ie your theories) into round holes (ie our story) because if you do, you won't be satisfied in the end.

According to this NYT's interview (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/arts/television/16weblost.html?pagewanted=1) with Lindelof and Cuse, Mr. Eko was supposed to have a much larger presence in the show, but Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje didn't like being in Hawaii away from his friends in London. Mr. Eko's loss was Ben's gain -- and Michael Emerson's. :)

Good riddance. I never got into that character anyway, or any of the Tailies for that matter, but found Ben fascinating from the moment he arrived as Henry Gale.

Satellitegirl
05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I dunno, I just thought it made sense with all of them being together again. Not having much before, then having a sort of constant. Maybe not so much in the time travel sense, but just another way of saying "soul mate" type of thing. Also I haven't read other boards much, so I didn't realize it was a horse that had been beaten to death lol

skatingfan5
05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Not directed at you dear Satellitegirl, but when will fans give up this theme of constants? It was a minor thing in Faraday's head that he later said wasn't even the most important thing - he said it was not the constants but the *variables,* the human element, that mattered most.

If constants mattered that much then surely it would have come up again in the subsequent seasons, no? :wall:

In a way I almost think that the producers did the whole thing to tell fans that you can try and figure this thing out (like Faraday) and make it all fit together, but it's really about the people, and you can't keep trying to cram square pegs (ie your theories) into round holes (ie our story) because if you do, you won't be satisfied in the end.But the constants WERE important -- and they WERE the people. From that same NYT article that I linked to above:
LINDELOF The thing about that episode is itís very simple storytelling, but very, very complicated storytelling at the same time. The simple part is that this episode is called ďThe Constant,Ē and the whole point of it is, is that there is somebody else out there that is your other half. And again, it plugged into, in this very sort of obvious way, this theme that we were discussing earlier, which is: Nobody can do it alone. Desmond was unhooked or lost, he was a castaway bopping around through time, and his only possible salvation was finding the woman that he loved and telling her so and saying, ďI need you to rescue me because Iím lost.Ē This fundamentally tapped into every single theme of the show.I suppose you could view Desmond as "the constant" but it really was his connection to Penny that was the constant. At least that's my view.:)

Jenny
05-25-2010, 08:40 PM
See, I interpret Lindelof's comments as saying that many fans missed the point of The Constant. Many fans took it far too literally - wanting to join every character to another one and have that be their connection through all the time travel. Many others just wanted Desmond to be the one and only constant, ie the centre of the Lost universe and the answer to all questions. Also, the fans I'm talking about didn't associate constants with romance or love - it was all technical, like Desmond being Faraday's constant (as opposed to what it ended being, that Charlotte was the apparent love of Faraday's life).

I think he was saying there what we saw in the end, that it's our relationships that mean the most in the end - whether it's a romantic soulmate relationship, or perhaps in the broader sense of the word.

Frankly I found it a little sappy that after playing mix and match with several of the characters for six years, they put everyone together in supposedly it-was-meant-to-be-all-along major meaningful romances. Some of them I'll buy, but others - like say Sayid and Shannon or Hurley and Libby whose romances were barely days long, as opposed to Sayid's decades long devotion to Nadia - didn't seem on par with the deeper connection that Sawyer and Juliet, or Rose and Bernard had.

I should say that this isn't directed at anyone here - I spent a bit of time at Lost Forum over the years, and a bunch of the posters were like dogs with very annoying bones. For awhile it seemed every thread came back to Desmond and the damn constants, and it got in the way of a lot of other interesting discussions.

Phew, thanks for letting me rant y'all.

Satellitegirl
05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
lol @ the damn constants.

skatingfan5
05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Guess I'm glad that I never got involved with or even visited any LOST forums -- sounds like they took stuff very, very, VERY seriously. I just enjoyed the show -- whatever episodes I managed to catch. I didn't even see any of Season 5, until I caught the summary show preceding this last season. :shuffle: That's why I probably have a lot of views that don't mesh with more confirmed devotees. :lol: I did see enough episodes to be royally pissed that Sun and Jin had such little real life time together.:mad:

trv2000
05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
When Juliet said "it worked," it could be that she was already in Sideways world because I think she said "it worked" when the candy bar dropped in the vending machine. Followed, of course, by the coffee-dutch part.

But Juliet did not say "it worked", she said she had something very important to tell Sawyer, then she died without saying those 2 words. It was Miles who passed along the message to Sawyer. Who knows whether those were really Juliet's final words.

I see this as a way for the writers to intentionally mislead the audience into thinking the Sideways world was what would have happened if the plane hadn't crashed. But they could argue that they didn't lie to the audience, Miles did!