PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

poths
05-24-2010, 11:37 PM
"all that happened was real". "some died before you, some long after you". "the most important time of your life was spent with these people". "you all made this place so you could find eachother".

yes, there were some unanswered questions, but these were not them.But obviously they could have been real experiences within an unreal context.

Ultimately, your answers are just that. Your answers, and even with evrything that has been told to us - there's always room for different interpretations. I for one believe all of the questions posed above are valid and any answers are speculation.

allezfred
05-25-2010, 12:17 AM
le sigh, there are so many what about x,y,z moments from seasons past that just seem irrelevant and a waste of time now.

Kind of like the entire series. :P

canbelto
05-25-2010, 01:35 AM
I wrote this note on facebook:

So I was talking to a woman at work today and we were discussing the finale. We both loved it, and then we were discussing the by-now accepted theory was that everything on the island was real, but Sideways-verse was purgatory, and that the finale was really showing how each character left purgatory and went to heaven. When you look at it this way, the finale really answered all the questions.

So here is how I think each character left purgatory:

1. Kate - I think the moment she went to heaven was when she delivered Claire's baby. I haven't really liked Kate as a character but this to me made perfect sense. The first time she delivered Claire's baby Aaron, she then ended up with the baby and passed it off as her own. This was typical Kate -- goodhearted but wrong and deceitful at the same time. She was unable to get the baby back to Claire either in island life or life afterr the island (if she did indeed live a life after leaving the island). So in the afterlife, she finally gave Claire back her baby, and thus did the right thing. She went to heaven.

2. Sayid - his entry to heaven explained a couple episodes ago, when he let himself be blown to bits by the bomb. By doing that he uninfected himself, and proved his worth as a man, despite all his evil actions. He goes to heaven.

3. Sun/Jin - Sun and Jin were perhaps the most sympathetic characters of the whole series, but I think their entry to heaven happened in sideways-verse when Jin finally saw his baby with Sun. The family was reunited. They went to heaven.

4. Juliet - Juliet's entry to heaven happened when she delivered Sun and Jin's baby. Juliet was a good doctor who was forced to use her medical knowledge for evil purposes. Her work for Ben on the island put her in purgatory. When she finally was able to deliver a baby, her entry to heaven was guaranteed. And then she met up with Sawyer, her soulmate.

5. Sawyer - This one is fairly simple too. I think Sawyer entered heaven when he was finally able to reunite with Juliet. In the series we saw that Juliet was the one woman whose influence on Sawyer was completely good. This is the one that had me bawling like a baby, when they reunited. But Sawyer was able to go to heaven when he found the woman he loved.

6. Locke - Locke could enter heaven when Fake-Locke (MiB) was finally killed. Fake Locke was obviously not actually Locke himself, but I do think he was Locke's alter ego. He was everything Locke couldn't be in real life --athletic, strong, decisive, ruthless. But Fake Locke's death freed Locke's spirit. Locke realized he did not HAVE to be athletic, decisive, ruthless, and evil like his father. He accepted Jack's help and whether or not he could walk in Sideways-verse or heaven was irrelevant -- the point is he did not feel that he HAD to be like Fake Locke anymore. He accepted himself as he was, he made his peace with Jack, and he went to heaven.

7. Hurley - Hurley could enter heaven when he realized he had a purpose, and that was to lead the island. From the dialogue with Ben, it seems as if Hurley and Ben were benevolent leaders of the island, and did things "differently" than Jacob. I really liked this part of the series, the idea that Hurley and Ben lived for many years on the island in peace.

8. Desmond - they never showed what happened to Desmond, but it's implied that Hurley and Ben let him off the island. But Desmond's entry to heaven (with Penny) is clear. He has always put others ahead of himself, and the finale again showed that he was a selfless hero. In Sideways-verse (purgatory), he also forced Locke into accepting the surgery to walk again.

9. Ben - he wasn't ready to go to heaven yet. Of course Ben has done the most "evil" in the series, but the series finale gave Ben several acts of redemption. He saved Hurley. He decided to lead the island in a good and benevolent way. So it was clear from the ending that maybe he had to make his peace with Alex and Danielle, and then he'd go to heaven. But it wasn't clear. It's fitting because the character has always been so ambiguous.

10. Jack - Jack's death was the final scene of the show, and the episode was very Jack-centered. But I think Jack's entry to heaven was multistaged. Of course he killed the MiB, and thus saved the island. He also made Locke able to walk again. But I think Jack's entry to heaven ocicurred in the last seconds of the show, when Vincent laid down next to him (the other part of the show that had me crying). In Jack's case, his entry to heaven wasn't so much in what he did, but in that he was finally at peace with himself. He died not really knowing what would happen to the island, what would happen to his friends, but the control freak just realized that he had done all he could and that his time was up.

And that's why I ultimately really loved the finale. I'm not a religious person by any means, but I do believe in the idea that people should die at peace with themselves and their actions. I like that LOST didn't tell us exactly what happened to Sawyer or Kate after they left the island, or how Ben and Hurley lived on the island. The important thing the finale emphasized was the importance of their experience together on the island, and that even after death they were still searching for each other. I don't think it "cheapens the whole six seasons." In fact I think it is a tribute to the all the fans, the writers made sure that every character's entry to heaven (or inner peace) was related to what happened on the show. And the ideas of redemption, dying with honor, making peace with both yourself and other people, those have been the big themes of LOST and that's what the finale was about. So I got all my questions answered.

elka_sk8
05-25-2010, 01:38 AM
BTW, the look on the Sun and Jin's face when Sawyer introduced himself as a detective made me :lol:

That was awesome. :lol:

This may have been mentioned already, but WTF was up with the amount of commercials last night? :rolleyes: It was totally annoying and distracting- every time there was a sad or intense moment- BAM, more commercials. BF and I started our watches and we were only getting 6-7 minutes of Lost between commercial breaks. They could have easily finished in 2 hrs.

That said, I liked the finale. Maybe a bit sappy, but I enjoyed seeing everyone together one last time.

BigB08822
05-25-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm kind of shocked at all the talk about how they must have died in the original plane crash. I can only assume people were so shocked when it was revealed that Jack was dead that they quit listening to all the important dialogue that followed. This dialogue told us rather plainly that they did all exist, the island was REAL, they all died on the island during the time we saw or later and they all created this sideways world as their own type of purgatory to wait for each other and to move on. Christian told us all of this and it wasn't done in a foreign language without subtitles.

The only valid reason to question if they died in the crash is because of the ending credits. However, to me those were just an homage to the show and to say it is all over. I don't think it was used to continue or add to the story or mystery. It was supposed to be a nice moment, but as usual, Lost fans read way too far into everything! This season was all about LISTENING and watching. They didn't try to trick us this year, they didn't try to fool us, they were very straight forward.

HeatherC
05-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I took the final scenes of the crash debris to be similar to what Friends did in their series finale. The last shot of that show was the camera panning around Monica & Rachel/Chandler's apartment showing you that whole area where most of the series happened for the last time. That's how I interpreted those final scenes for Lost last night and I definitely don't understand how anyone could think it meant that the Losties all died in the original crash. That's like going from point A to point Q with no directions. :yikes:

I am completely exhausted from staying up too late last night (and from all the crying, LOL) but I still feel extremely satisfied from the show's ending. I feel kind of sad that I won't get to go on the journey with those characters anymore but I also feel happy knowing they all found happiness together in the end. I think the show was more about the characters and their journey for me than it was about the mysteries so I'm perfectly fine with those remaining mysteries. It's fun to think about what certain things could mean and I actually enjoy the fact that we can all speculate and guess about those things long after the show is over. :)

There seem to be two distinct camps forming about the finale. There's one camp that was always more about the characters and loved the ending of them all being together again and then there's the other camp that was more about the mysteries and are all honked off because they didn't explain everything. I feel kind of bad for that second camp of people because I don't know if they really 'got' the show over the last six years. Yes, the island has a lot of special qualities and yes, some of the mysteries would have been fun to get answers to, but how can you discount the entire series and journey simply because YOU didn't get certain answers? End results are great but life has always been more about the journey for me and I guess their unhappiness about it is something I'll just never understand. Oh well. I'm still a happy fan today although the sadness is going to hit me again when the Fall Preview TV stuff comes out and Lost isn't featured in it. :fragile: (Thank goodness V and Friday Night Lights will be back next season!)

I swear I'm going to bed as soon as possible tonight. I am SO exhausted and very surprised I actually survived my day at work, LOL :lol:

Carmen Ovsiannikov
05-25-2010, 02:15 AM

And, YES! the passengers did survive the original crash! They told us that over and over in the the Christian/Jack discussion.

Serious Paraphrasing...
"all that happened was real". "some died before you, some long after you". "the most important time of your life was spent with these people". "you all made this place so you could find eachother".

yes, there were some unanswered questions, but these were not them.

This exactly.

The Christian/Jack discussion clears up many (IMO) of the questions. In fact going back to some of the other scenes before the Christian/Jack scene they make more sense now. For example the reaction Sun and Jin had to Cop Sawyer. Especially Jin being so amused by Sawyer being a cop and Jin telling him that she was safe.

Add me to the group who interpreted last nights finale as Jack & Co. surviving the original plane crash, some of them escaping the island then having to return. As Jack died (:wuzrobbed) he was looking up at the sky and saw the plane carrying Lapidus, Kate, Sawyer, Claire fly by. Once again referencing the Christian/Jack discussion, the six who escaped and were able to return to civilization were alive and probably lived their lives before passing on.

Lost was heavily rooted in sci-fi so I believe that everything that happened to the castaways did happen. I don't believe they all died in the original crash (I was afraid the writers would go that route) and were in hell or purgatory.

The final scene with Christian/Jack and everyone coming together once more in order to move on together happened at some point in the future.

genevieve
05-25-2010, 02:24 AM
There seem to be two distinct camps forming about the finale. There's one camp that was always more about the characters and loved the ending of them all being together again and then there's the other camp that was more about the mysteries and are all honked off because they didn't explain everything.

I can see that - although I think I'm just as much about the mysteries as the people and I felt totally satisfied with the way the questions have been answered. Many of the "honked off mystery people" I've spoken to seem to think a lot more was left on the table than there was. I don't know if they simply have forgotten some of the answers we've been given or what. Maybe it's the same thing about folks who think they weren't given the answer to when people died - it was all but spelled out for us. But I'm really glad that we didn't get every single question answered, and especially that some of the biggest questions got answers that were snuck in between larger plots instead of given to us on a silver platter. The producers and writers realized that there's far more power in leaving some things to the imagination, and that giving pat answers to every little thing would never satisfy anyone completely and would probably leave everyone feeling let down.

figurefan
05-25-2010, 02:29 AM
I was sobbing then started crying like a baby when Vincent came to comfort Jack in his final moment. I was so glad my husband was in bed, I hate crying during tv/movies when people are around.

The finale was very emotional with some incredible acting. Count me in as one of those who believe the sideways was purgatory and the island was reality.

Great show, I will miss it. It is amazing that something on TV kept me entertained for 6 straight seasons.

Well done!

mindy74
05-25-2010, 02:39 AM
The producers and writers realized that there's far more power in leaving some things to the imagination, and that giving pat answers to every little thing would never satisfy anyone completely and would probably leave everyone feeling let down.

I feel the same way. For example, in Star Wars, you had this Force that was mystical and magical. Then, in the Phantom Menace you heard about midichlorians and all this other stuff and I have to say it took a bit of the romance out of the whole idea. Sometimes it's nice to be able to ponder something mystical or surreal and just let it be.

I had to take off work today to recover from the absolute bawling I did last night and lack of sleep. There are a few personal issues I had with the finale (I was always a Kate/Sawyer fan for one), but overall it was probably the best series finale I've seen besides Six Feet Under.

genevieve
05-25-2010, 02:48 AM
I feel the same way. For example, in Star Wars, you had this Force that was mystical and magical. Then, in the Phantom Menace you heard about midichlorians and all this other stuff and I have to say it took a bit of the romance out of the whole idea. Sometimes it's nice to be able to ponder something mystical or surreal and just let it be.

I refuse to see any of the later (er...earlier) 3 Star Wars movies. The original trio is so excellent, the other movies can only do harm to the mythology. Plus the idea of seeing Darth Vader as a chubby cheeked tow-headed moppet and then as hormonal teen with pouty lips makes me :scream:

Satellitegirl
05-25-2010, 03:16 AM
I just watched the youtube clip, and sobbed some more.

HeatherC I think you hit the nail on the head with the two camps thing. It's funny, because I thought I was in the mystery camp, but when it came down to it, I don't care about that at all. I just loved the characters.

I so wanted to give Jack a hug when he was all alone in the woods. And I'll say it again, the fact that Vincent came to be with him makes me bawl still. Animals certainly are helpful and there for us in trying times.

genevieve
05-25-2010, 03:19 AM
I also appreciate that fans have been clamoring for Vincent for a while, and not only did we get to see him (and Rose/Bernard), but Vincent got to play a significant role at the very end. Nice shout outs to the fans were strewn throughout the episode, and that's one of the things I think has made LOST such a great show.

Jimena
05-25-2010, 03:21 AM
And I'll say it again, the fact that Vincent came to be with him makes me bawl still.

You know, I can't even think coherently about the finale or have any sort of intelligent opinion about it. That scene with Vincent just makes me lose it and I still haven't recuperated.

Satellitegirl
05-25-2010, 03:38 AM
I with you Jimena....It really is hard to process why I'm hit so hard emotionally by it all...and there are a variety of reasons, not just one. Will be thinking about it for some time.