PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Satellitegirl
05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree about that kiss. When they were standing there I thought to myself "you'd better kiss her!" and was relieved when he did, and what a kiss it was :swoon:

I admit I am still sad a bit. I didn't want it to end with Jack dying like that...and with them all being dead so to speak. I realize they all eventually would die anyhow. Glad they were all together again though, regardless. And glad Vincent was with Jack.

Trying to get through the day now without thinking about it too much and crying at work :P Funny how stories, not even real, can affect us so much. Guess it's the concepts and attachments..and just seeing things we value in these characters.

Bostonfan
05-24-2010, 03:02 PM
In retrospect, Desmond's comment about Ana-Lucia, "She's not ready" makes sense. Ana killed Shannon and I forget who else on the island. She died with a lot of unresolved anger issues. So she needs to remain in the limbo area.

So in thinking about it some more:

Jacob threw his mortal brother into the light cave that "Mom" told them never to go down. Brother dies in a state of anguish in the light cave - thus releasing angry spirit that became the MIB and any other dead person he chose to embody. Because he couldn't "uncork" the island before dying in whatever power source was surrounding the cork. But Desmond could withstand going to the cork (albiet it incapcitated him for a while afterwards), thus making him the only person that we know of that could render MIB vunerable.

Fight between Jack and MIB ensues - with the bullet Kate fires finally making an impact and ultimately killing the now-vunerable MIB. Problem #1 solved. Now to save the island, Jack goes back into the light cave, puts the cork back in, gets a deadly blast of whatever it is that surrounds the light. Somehow ends up outside the cave and stumbles to his original spot when he first landed to finally die. With Vincent by his side. It was only fitting that the first two people (well 1 person and 1 dog) that started the series are the two who ended it.

Do I have that right?

Loved how Miles pointed out Richard's grey hair. Nice touch. I suspect that once Jacob's fire went out, it lifted whatever "magic?" that kept Richard from aging.

Bev Johnston
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
When the finale first came to an end I was a bit confused, but the more I think about it, the more it all makes sense and honestly, I can move past all that doesn't make sense (or questions I still have) because none of those little details really matter in the end. I think the point of the finale was to bring everything full circle for these characters we've grown to love and Lost did that fabulously!

Yes. This. I don't really care if anything wasn't completely answered, because, really, the big things were wrapped up as far as I'm concerned.

Jack finally seemed to work out his issues with Christian. There seemed to be much mutual respect, something that has been missing all this time, there in the church.

I think Hurley's confidence in Sideways World came from his time as leader on the island.

I wonder how Richard made a living after he left the island. He's really old and has been living on an island all this time, lol.

I didn't find the ending too "religious-y" but it was definitely spiritual.

On watching the pilot, I couldn't help but think how different Claire looks from the first season. I don't know if she had some work done between S1 and S2, or if it was the lighter hair, but she definitely looks lot different.

Matthew Fox looked like he was going to cry when he first came on stage on the Jimmy Kimmel show. Awww. Love that.

Bev Johnston
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Trying to get through the day now without thinking about it too much and crying at work :P Funny how stories, not even real, can affect us so much. Guess it's the concepts and attachments..and just seeing things we value in these characters.

Just wanted to add that I had the hardest time putting on my makeup this morning!! I had to keep waiting for my eyes to be dry to get the eyeliner and mascara to stay.

Lost was an amazing show. I had all but quit watching television in the late nineties, save for the Disney Channel, which I watched with my kids. I stumbled on Lost and I think it's the best thing I've ever seen on tv. Very amazing and so well done. I don't think there will ever be anything as good.

Jimena
05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Trying to get through the day now without thinking about it too much and crying at work :P

Jesus, yes. I'm still a weepy mess. It's not helped by the fact that I'm so tired.

Satellitegirl
05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
So in thinking about it some more:

Jacob threw his mortal brother into the light cave that "Mom" told them never to go down. Brother dies in a state of anguish in the light cave - thus releasing angry spirit that became the MIB and any other dead person he chose to embody. Because he couldn't "uncork" the island before dying in whatever power source was surrounding the cork. But Desmond could withstand going to the cork (albiet it incapcitated him for a while afterwards), thus making him the only person that we know of that could render MIB vunerable.

Fight between Jack and MIB ensues - with the bullet Kate fires finally making an impact and ultimately killing the now-vunerable MIB. Problem #1 solved. Now to save the island, Jack goes back into the light cave, puts the cork back in, gets a deadly blast of whatever it is that surrounds the light. Somehow ends up outside the cave and stumbles to his original spot when he first landed to finally die. With Vincent by his side. It was only fitting that the first two people (well 1 person and 1 dog) that started the series are the two who ended it.

I agree about it being fitting that they were the first 2, and the last two who ended it. I hope that Bernard and Rose had a wonderful long life together on the island with Vincent before they passed. I sort of wish there was more of a wrap up or "post script" type of thing, with maybe a voiceover telling us how their lives ended up and THEN going to the church thing. But I guess that would have taken away they "whoa they're all dead" moment. Still would have liked some more explanation just for story's sake...maybe it'll be in the 20 min on the DVD.

Is it weird that the thing that makes me tear up most is Vincent coming to be with Jack when he died? I'm such a sucker for animals. Part of me is still annoyed Vincent wasn't there either(at the Church), but i guess it's harder for a dog to coordinate his soul with a bunch of humans hehe.

manhn
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
So, was this sideways reality "real" at all? If not, what's with Jack's son, and Alex being alive, etc.? None of that was real? If it wasn't real, what was it for? What was the purpose of any of it?

We know that Alex had already died on the island. She is still in purgatory. We don't know if, when and how she will remember her time on the island and then move on. Danielle and Ben are not her constant (I have to rewatch the penultimate episode; was being with Danielle when Ben truly figured out what it all meant?). Maybe when she meets Karl at college?

I like one theory that David in real life never had a father, so in purgatory he has one in Jack.

I have been thinking about why Ana-Lucia is not yet ready to go. Maybe she has to wait until she becomes pregnant and gives birth, as she miscarried in real life.

Lorac
05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow - I was totally emotionally exhausted by the finale and happy with how it was ended!! I figured Jack had to die to "complete" his soul's journey in this incarnation - and I think re-incarnation is where they are all heading at the end - I know - totally out of left field but it makes sense to me!!

The scenes of reconnecting were beautifully done - especially the Sawyer Juliet one which had me sobbing!! The "do you want to go for coffee" line was awesome and Sawyer telling Juliet it was him seems to imply he has lived a long life before re-uniting with Juliet in the sideways world!! And when she asked him to kiss her - I was a wet rag!!

But back to re-incarnation - and this is totally my own theory and makes sesne to me. There are some spiritual paths that believe each soul picks its life before coming into the world - but forgets it when they are born. Thus they have to go through many journeys to discover their true life purpose. Once done they are ready to move on. Also the theory is that we are incarnated with certain other souls who are part of our journey - and this happens over many incarnations. It makes sense to me that when these souls pass on they need to "wait" for the other souls on their journey to pass on as well before they are all ready to "move on" to the next incarnation!! I believe that happened here but that some souls have been in the waiting world for a while and need longer to recall before being ready to move on.

It also explain's why some people in the sideways world - Myles, Charlotte, Daniel, Ben, Danielle and Alex - did not move on with this group even though they are dead. They "crossed paths" but their soul connections are others - Myles, Charlotte and Daniel one group and Ben, Alex and Danielle another.

OK totally wacked out theory but as I said it works for me and helps me get over the loss I am feeling at the end of this show - I don't recall ever being sucked into a show so completely and caring so much about the characters.

BTW I missed the Jimmy Kimmel special - will it be streamed online does anyone know - and not just the alternate endings (which I saw already and which are really funny). I would love to see the interviews with the cast and producers!!

Rob
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I really liked the ending - it was moving. My husband also thought they had been in purgatory the whole time, but he was saying that all 6 years so he was just clinging to his theory. I had to explain to him that no, the island really happened, the people died on the island when we saw them die, the rest lived out their lives on or off the island and died later, and the sideways world was their purgatory where they were all collecting until they were ready to become aware and move on together.

I am going to go back and watch again, but I didn't notice if Richard or Lapidus were in the church. Also, what did Desmond say to Eloise when she asked if he was going to take her son? Daniel and Charlotte met, but they didn't have flashbacks, did they?

Ben was aware, but he wasn't ready to move on with them. So perhaps he was going back to Rousseau and Alex and would move on with them later?

Ben said to Hurley that it was Jacob's rule that they couldn't leave the island and Hurley could have different rules. I wonder what they did for all the intervening years.

I do wish they could have pulled in Michael, but I understand it was difficult to deal with a 6 year older Walt.

I assume all the kids - Claire's, Desmond/Penny's, Jin/Sun's are all living on somewhere.

tarotx
05-24-2010, 03:47 PM
My theory on David is one of Jack's big big hang ups was Daddy issues and rather or not he could have been a good father. So David was Jack's way of realizing both. He now believes that from all that has happened to him that he is a good person and would've made a great dad. He also knows he did and would make mistakes and so was able to just be happy to see his own dad again. Jack's a different person then the broken man who got on flight 815. IMO of course.

Jimena
Part of me is still annoyed Vincent wasn't there either(at the Church), but i guess it's harder for a dog to coordinate his soul with a bunch of humans hehe.
I'm thinking Vincent would be with Walt in the afterlife.

stanhope
I think the "sideways" world is purgatory and that the island was the "real" world. The purgatory theory makes sense, because from what I understand about the "sideways" world is that time is irrelevant. That is how everyone ended up there even though they all died at different times in the real world. This is sort of how I have always thought about purgatory, and to see it come together on this beautiful show was so rewarding to me. This is one satisfied fan! :)

Garden Kitty
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I am going to go back and watch again, but I didn't notice if Richard or Lapidus were in the church.

I don't think they were.

Satellitegirl
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Richard would be with his wife :)

And good point, Jimena, about Walt being with Vincent.

Ugh! what a great show!!! *dabs tears*

And again, Jack/Matthew Fox totally underrated in this show. He was awesome. I just wanted to give him a hug when he was wandering through the forest after having made it out...going to his final resting place.

walei
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow... back in the first page of this thread I said I'm not going to focus on getting the answers but focus on the resolutions of the characters... and the finale paid off big time!

Although I was still a bit... disappointed that a lot of the mysteries were never answered. However I read on another LOST forum that people who still focus on seeking answers even in the grand scheme of things when the answers are not important, are acting like the MIB of the story. I thought this was a very apt comparison so I was very satisfied upon reflection.

I love Jack, always rooted for him even back in the first two seasons... One of the best hero of any story ever created.

The complete LOST DVD/BD is coming out on my birthday August 24th! That is so going to be my birthday present for myself!! Best yet, there will be 11 minutes extra for the finale episode!

Phew I need to stop rambling...I love LOST so much, six years well spent!

ETA: I don't think everyone in sideways are 'real'. Alex, David, Danielle... etc, I don't think they are real. As Christian said, sideways was created by those that needed to be together reunited in order to move on, because their time on the island was the most important event in their lives. Those other characters and minor ones are just created by the Losties into this grand purgatory so they will have a chance to meet together, reflect, and move on.