PDA

View Full Version : LOST FINALE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

genevieve
05-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Just got home from the LOST party, which was totally fun :cheer2: We were on the news, and I ended up sitting with another chick who came alone.

Haven't read any of the thread yet and need some time to process, but first and foremost:

I do believe that I heard an aggravated scream cross three time zones and the US/Canada border during that last scene :lol: (((Jenny)))

General consensus at the showing was that the ending was a ripoff, but I was not disappointed. Something that I've often said at the end of a LOST ep is that I could see the twist a mile away, but the way they got there was so well done that I didn't mind, and I think I'd say the same about the overall series. The heaps of schmaltz as our key Losties learned their truths was more than a bit overboard, and the white light at the end was totally Ghost Whisperer, but it was also reminiscent of Titanic, and I gotta say that's one of the few movies that will get me to cry every damned time.

My only real complaint is that there was no excuse to not have at least Michael there at the end (if not Walt). We did see him in an ep this season, so there should have been no problem getting Harold Perrineau on board.

Oh, and several of the people who felt gypped by the end seemed to think it mean they all died in the Oceanic crash and the whole show had been the purgatory that the producers have sworn it wasn't. I thought they made it QUITE clear that each character died when we saw them die (or later in some cases), so I don't feel it's a cop out.

more tomorrow!

tarotx
05-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Micheal's a whisper on the island. He's not ready to move on...

manhn
05-24-2010, 08:15 AM
My only real complaint is that there was no excuse to not have at least Michael there at the end (if not Walt). We did see him in an ep this season, so there should have been no problem getting Harold Perrineau on board.

Michael is still on the island whispering as a ghost. He has not left the island, so is not in this purgatory. I think the writers made a point of using HP on the island as a guest instead of in the alt reality. One can also argue that his "constant" is Walt, who is either still alive in the real world (perhaps the new Candidate as Hurley has now since passed) or "not ready" to move on.

genevieve
05-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Point taken, thanks for the reminder :)

I then have no real complaints about the ending.

DBZ
05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Just got done watching the finale.

Um, I enjoyed the reunions and character moments, but I'm still utterly confused.

I don't understand...at all.

So, was this sideways reality "real" at all? If not, what's with Jack's son, and Alex being alive, etc.? None of that was real? If it wasn't real, what was it for? What was the purpose of any of it?

And, maybe it completely went over my head, but did we ever get an answer to any of the big questions: what is the island, the "light," what was Widmore's motive, who built the statue, etc?

Nothing?

Had poigant moments, but I'm starting to think this was the biggest cop-out in history. :lol:

DianeO
05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
When the finale first came to an end I was a bit confused, but the more I think about it, the more it all makes sense and honestly, I can move past all that doesn't make sense (or questions I still have) because none of those little details really matter in the end. I think the point of the finale was to bring everything full circle for these characters we've grown to love and Lost did that fabulously!

The sideways reality wasn't "reality" at all...it was purgatory. Matthew Fox had a great explanation of this idea on Kimmel (I wish I could remember exactly what he had said, but when he explained, it all clicked in my mind).

There are many things that were left unanswered, probably intentionally, but I'm not going to complain about it. Any show that can get me so emotional so many times because they've gotten me SO attached to these characters has done it's job in my book. I couldn't have asked for more. It has been a wonderful ride, and I will miss it terribly.

Bostonfan
05-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh, and several of the people who felt gypped by the end seemed to think it mean they all died in the Oceanic crash and the whole show had been the purgatory that the producers have sworn it wasn't. I thought they made it QUITE clear that each character died when we saw them die (or later in some cases), so I don't feel it's a cop out.

more tomorrow!

I know. I can't even listen to my morning radio show this morning. I tune into Kiss 108 in Boston and the morning guy is ranting about how much he hated it because they were all dead the whole time. He refuses to talk to callers that are obviously trying to set him straight. I finally turned him off.

I didn't LOVE the ending, but I understood it for the most part. There were lots of questions never answered, but I can live with that. But there is one that either was answered and I missed it, or wasn't answered: Why did the Ben-led Others need children? Why were children unable to be concieved on the island?

DBZ
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Why did the Ben-led Others need children? Why were children unable to be concieved on the island?

And, for the matter, what the hell happened to them? Did they stay on the island with Hurley and Ben. Did they become Hurley's "others?"

Bostonfan
05-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Here is one universal truth that simply can't be argued:

"I don't believe in a lot of things. But I believe in duct tape."

Amen! :)

sk8sue
05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
My biggest question is if sideways was a gathering place of the dead, why were people like Jack and Hurley, who were still living on the island, there from the beginning? I don't think they gained enlightenment as their island selves died, did they, or Hurley would have been one of the last?

Also, it was a nice touch that Juliet was saying "it worked" about the vending machine (as opposed to the bomb?).

I'm not so sure that I like that after Jacob was the defender of the island for centuries, all this leads up to Jack being in the role for less than a day. It was an important day, though.

Bostonfan
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
My biggest question is if sideways was a gathering place of the dead, why were people like Jack and Hurley, who were still living on the island, there from the beginning? I don't think they gained enlightenment as their island selves died, did they, or Hurley would have been one of the last?

I don't know if I am going to get this right, but it all centers around Christian's explanation that there is no "now" now in the sideways world. Time had no meaning there. So while Hurley, Ben, and presumably Claire, Kate, Sawyer etc all died AFTER Jack in the real world, Jack was apparently one that had to spend a long time in the sideways world before he was ready to move on. By then, all of them had died in the real world.

On a different note, I get a hoot thinking about Hurley and Ben governing the island. While there was no more smoke monster to deal with, they still had to protect the island from future interference. I get a kick thinking about future candidates seeing Hurley and recieving his Jedi-inspired guidance.

Jimena
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I intend to pull out a DVD and watch something fun, upbeat and mindless without any deaths in it. As brilliant as the series ender was, I don't think I could sleep with it being the last thing I watch tonight.

I wish I had done that. I had the hardest time sleeping last night. I kept dreaming of Jack dying with Vincent next to him.

I'll definitely watch something ridiculously silly last night.

I'm glad I didn't watch this with other people. I would've been self conscious about crying so I would've detached myself from the episode through sarcasm and cynicism. I know there are a few lose ends but I'm glad I "felt" the episode rather than "thought" it.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch it again, though. It was way too painful.

Satellitegirl
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I think I was crying more happy tears for them than painful tears.

Here's all these people, who had gone through *so* much in their lives, dealt with so much, and they became their own family there on the island, and even after they all died, they found and waited for one another, because they needed one another. It's just beautiful to me. And yes, I sobbed like crazy everytime I thought about Vincent coming to lie down next to Jack. And great now I'm tearing up at work again lol.

Funny, but I don't care about the other questions about the island now.

ETA: I agree about being glad I didn't watch it with anyone else, too, Jimena. I was crying waaay too often lol.

ETAA: Also wanted to say I've heard some people thinking that it was Jack creating that place so that it was easier for him to move on....and I don't think that's possible, or they wouldn't have shown all the people arriving separately and Ben staying outside, etc.

dbell1
05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
It's the morning after the end?! :yikes:

Not a lot of sleep last night, but I'm more okay with the ending now.

I don't think any ending would been capable of satisfying everyone, so this one worked for me on some level.

I'm still okay with the second theory that Jack died on the island, after protecting it from MIB and Hurley and Ben were the caretakers after him. Reinfored by the Hurley/Ben "number one/number two" conversation. Does 'Jacob water' need that mumbled thing to work? Oh, and that conversation about 'we can't leave the island', 'well, that was Jacob's rule' to me said that Ben was still caring for it years later.

I'm also okay with Sayid meeting up with Shannon in his afterlife, rather than Nadia. Well, sort of. Maybe. Eh, not really. Unless Nadia gave him her blessing to go? :shuffle:

Things I loved - Rose & Bernard (and Vincent!! :cheer2: ) breaking 'their rule' of being involved with island life.

I loved Sawyer and Juliet in the hospital. Apollo bars!! :lol:

Totally loved how Jack defended Locke to Smokey.

I really wanted cliffed Flocke to go back to MIB shape and get out of our Locke's body.

Didn't love how everyone got up and left David at the party. But, then again, if the theories are that David was really Jack as a kid or a dream of Jack's, then it's okay that he sort of vanished. I'm still confused about what that meant. :confused:

ETA - to add that I also had cable/box problems last night - wonder if it was because of the feed from our local Dharma ABC affiliate? :P

Jenny
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I do believe that I heard an aggravated scream cross three time zones and the US/Canada border during that last scene :lol: (((Jenny)))

I enjoyed it, and can't imagine how it could have been done any other way.

After thinking about it (and dreaming about it) all night, at this point I think that everything happened as we saw it, and that Jack died at the end, in 2007, on the island.

The gathering at the church was all those who died, and those who lived after the point where Jack died, coming to terms with what happened. Somewhere out there, Frank, Kate, Claire, Sawyer, Miles and Richard flew away, Hurley and Ben either stayed or left eventually, and Rose, Bernard and Vincent are still there. And Cindy, the kids and a handful of Others apparently.

I don't think Hurley is actually The Chosen One - I think Jack faked it to give Hurley confidence and make him OK with the fact that Jack was dying. I don't think anyone was the Chosen One - Jacob was stuck, wanted to get out of it just as MIB did, and invented the whole thing. Might have even believed it.

And no one has said this yet, but I thought the kiss between Jack and Kate on the rock was super hot.