PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crab Assistance

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Cyn
05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
My sole experience with Hermit Crabs was back in '87, when I was 20. While I was at the beach with my best friend and her family (all 22 of them - in two beach houses), her 15 year-old sister decided to get some (4 fairly small, but not too small, ones).

My friend and I left a two days early to come home, and her sister asked us to take them (in their cute little crabitat) home with us as their van was going to be packed to the rafters. She, unfortunately, hadn't fastened the top very well, and the little buggers got out.

About four hours into the drive, one of them crawled on my friends foot, which was on the gas pedal. She damn near wrecked the car (and I nearly went deaf) from the resulting freak-out and case of the willies when that happened.

It was at that time I decided that I would never have hermit crabs as a pet :shuffle: .

bobalina77
05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I didn't know hermit crabs were this popular :lol:

gkelly
05-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I didn't know hermit crabs were this popular :lol:

They may be introverts, but they've got personality?

agalisgv
05-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Does anyone know how to keep the humidity level up inside the crabitat? We've been pouring dechlorinated water inside every few hours, and the humidity goes up for a bit. But then it goes right back down :(.

We don't want them to suffocate :wuzrobbed

I'm thinking there must be a better way to do this

SmallFairy
05-27-2010, 02:14 PM
this must be the best thread ever, what fun, and I've learned so much!! I didn't know it was common to keep hermit crabs as pets, in Norway I don't know anyone who does. You can't buy them from the pet store or anything...

Yesterday, I was at a new mall in one of our suburbs, they had a huuuuuge salt water tank, with all kinds of beautiful fishes, and it was supposed to have hermit crabs as well, but I couldn't spot them, maybe they were hiding?

Best of luck with your new crabs**

danceronice
05-27-2010, 02:51 PM
O.o You can dump them in a marine tank? I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Now, I've always wanted FIDDLER crabs (which do require both sand/dry land and brackish water) but I don't have the space and time to set up a tank.