PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crab Assistance

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

agalisgv
05-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Well, the hermit crabs came home today.

Unfortunately just as my son was getting into the car with them, he dropped their cage :yikes:. They seem to still be alive. He spent an hour afterward redoing their crabitat so it could be all spiffy :cool:. We also bought more stuff for them to climb on ;).

Their crabitat had purple sand in it--I thought that was cool :shuffle:. I bought some glow in the dark sand to go with it :D

rfisher
05-24-2010, 11:51 PM
(((((traumatized little crabs)))))))

numbers123
05-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Add me to the ones thinking now about getting a hermit crab....(and I wonder what the kitties would think?)

Supper?

genevieve
05-24-2010, 11:59 PM
((Tickles and Pinch)) hope they are settling into their new home and don't think they've been dosed with LSD (with the tres groovy purple and glow-in-the-dark sand) :P

Jayar
05-25-2010, 12:39 AM
I want a tiffin' hermit crab. I already have a cat named Miffy, why can I have a hermit crab named BYTCH? BTW, isn't having a crab named Prancer a bit redundant?

Southpaw
05-25-2010, 03:10 AM
BTW, isn't having a crab named Prancer a bit redundant?

Heh, yes, it's one of those modern ironic names like when you name a dog Fido or a cat Fluffy.

michiruwater
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I love this thread :rofl:

And I want pictures of the LSD crabitat!

rfisher
05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Heh, yes, it's one of those modern ironic names like when you name a dog Fido or a cat Fluffy.

Must warn agal not to invite you over to visit since you'd probably bring an octopus and they eat crabs.

Southpaw
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Must warn agal not to invite you over to visit since you'd probably bring an octopus and they eat crabs.

Sadly, I don't live in sin with an octopus so I'd have to borrow one from PL, who borrowed it from Plushy. His octopus only eats silver medals so agal's little friends will be safe from eville.

FGRSK8
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Get 24 of them and we can have Hermit Crab synchro team...The Hermitettes...:lol:

Ajax
05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
This thread is killing me :lol: I didn't even know what hermit crabs were!

numbers123
05-25-2010, 08:49 PM
This thread is killing me :lol: I didn't even know what hermit crabs were!

or that hermits could get crabs. :eek:

:shuffle: :P

OlieRow
05-25-2010, 08:54 PM
So I've been reading up, and I've read in a few places where hermit crabs that molt need to be separated or it will be eaten alive by the others (in my case other). So it's been recommended to have an isolation tank handy.

Have people had issues with this where the crabs needed to be separated so as not to cannibalize each other?

Is this why my hermit crabs never successfully changed shells?! :eek:

And I'll second the request for pictures of the LSD Crabitat!

Theatregirl1122
05-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Add me to the ones thinking now about getting a hermit crab....(and I wonder what the kitties would think?)

My cat almost never noticed the hermit crab.

My one warning is that hermit crabs have a tendency to appear dead. Usually if they are holding themselves in their shells, they are probably not dead. They get out of their shells to move shells or to molt. I had a crab that was determined to live in this tacky rainbow shell. Didn't matter what else I put in there. He was going to live in that rainbow shell.

silverstars
05-26-2010, 03:16 AM
I think that their lifespans can vary quite a bit. One of mine lasted more than a year, another a few months, and then the last one sadly did not survive the trip home from the pet store (I clearly remember crying as my dad dug a grave for Spikey).

Also, it's when they're hanging out of their shells for a long period of time that you should worry if they're not alive (they seem to almost always be entirely in their shells). I remember one of mine was sort of halfway out of its shell for about a week before I made my parents take a look at it and realized that it was dead :shuffle:. That one took awhile to get over...

Come to think of it, my hermit crab experience was probably slightly traumatizing for both me and the crabs.