PDA

View Full Version : Job advice, please!

Pages : 1 [2]

BigB08822
05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Getting ready to head to the interview. My interview is set for 8:30 so I will leave here at 7:45 to give me plenty of time. I would rather have to sit in the parking lot for 15 minutes than to even be a minute late. I am a little nervous but I will be taking all of the great advice with me and that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for the good lucks, hopefully I will be coming back to post good news. :)

Aceon6
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
This is setting off a few alarm bells for me. An interview over the phone is still an interview, so how she asked isn't the issue - it's that she asked in the first place. If what she wanted to know was how available or experienced you are, that has nothing to do with age, and I'm concerned that she seems to be confusing the two.

Late to the party, but working at a dry cleaner is one of the jobs where the employer has to verify that the person is over 18. While it would have been better if she asked "Are you 18 or older?", the owner was getting information required by law.

MOIJTO
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
A good employer will take you back if they like you and you let them know you want to explore other job avenues for a while.

Not all the time, but worth asking anyway.

I work 3 jobs, its difficult but it can be done.

El Rey
05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe El Rey can answer this, was it hot in there, were there chemicals, was there good ventilation? I noticed a "green" dry cleaner in my area and was going to investigate, but am sure that it is expensive. But my dry cleaner is surely hot and smelly...

This dry cleaners had five locations, but the cleaning was done at only one store. The others were just drop off locations. It wasn't hot at the cleaning location. There was AC and all the ironing ladies had an AC duct blowing lots of air over their stations. We were considered an eco-friendly cleaners so I don't remember any smells.

BigB08822, the only other job duties we had were taking out the trash. Which wasn't much. Basically just papers and stuff we found in pockets. We would also take out trash from the bathroom, but since bathrooms were only for employee use it wasn't that gross. We had a cleaning service so we were never required to clean them.

You're probably having the interview as I'm typing this, so hopefully you got all your questions answered.

BigB08822
05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Well I think it went well. The pay is such that I am completely torn on what to do. The pay really isn't enough to pay all my bills and have enough left over but I didn't expect to get that working part time, the only way to really make all my bills is a full time job. However, I have been averaging the same amount at the restaurant so I would rather take a job I don't hate if the pay is the same. The restaurant has higher potential, you can always have a great night and make great money but I've seen 2 weeks worth of tips to feel like I know what is average.

The only red flag I got was that she is clearly very conservative. She had a picture of the Pope on her desk, a ProLife sticker, Support the Troops sticker, etc. Being gay, it is a potential warning but I have no idea what her opinion is on all of that, not that I plan on ever sharing that information with her anyway.

I do think I am going to take it. The downside is I will be working 6 days a week but then again, I might be working 6 days a week at the restaurant.

BigB08822
05-22-2010, 12:58 AM
I called and accepted the job. I hope I made the right decision! 6 days a week will be a little tough to get used to but I will really enjoy that even with a full class schedule I will be done every day by 6pm which is not very different from most people with an 8-5 job. I only have to work on Saturdays from 8-2 so my day is not completely taken. I will also be working with another girl in the afternoons and on Saturday so that is nice, won't be all alone. I hope it is nice, haven't met her yet, haha.