PDA

View Full Version : Why Tonya Harding Is The Greatest Skater Of All Time

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Ziggy
05-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Joannie Rochette? Not comparable in terms of jumping ability (who is?) but her technique is top class

Her jumps have nowhere near as much height and she has neither a 3axel nor any (consistent) 3/3 combinations.

Yes her jumps are usually of a very nice quality when landed, but she's light years away from Tonya.

robinhood
05-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Tonya didn't have a 3/3 either, al least consistent. I have only seen her landing it at the 91 Nationals and it was a toe/toe. Rochette had that combination too back in 2005 or 06, I think. Her sequences of toe/sal are impressive too
Of course, I agree Harding was way ahead in jumping ability

robinhood
05-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Her basics are strong, but I don't find anything all that amazing about her jumps. They are nowhere near Tonya's.

Well she's the most complete and well rounded jumper at the moment. Bar the triple axel she's got all the other ones consistent and with great quality, too

gkelly
05-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Rochette was falling on triple axel attempts in practice at 2003 Worlds. So at least she was close enough at that time to show the attempts in public.

iarispiralllyof
05-30-2010, 12:54 AM
did i step into the twilight zone or sth? I do respect that she was an amazing jumper

judgejudy27
05-30-2010, 02:38 AM
Of the current women the one who would come closest to Harding in jumping quality would be Yu Na Kim but she not only doesnt have a triple axel she doesnt even really have all 5 other triples since she isnt doing the triple loop anymore. Asada is right up there in difficulty but not in jump quality.

museksk8r
05-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Asada is right up there in difficulty but not in jump quality.

And even Mao doesn't attempt the 3Lutz nor the 3Salchow. Midori and Tonya in their primes attempted the 3Axel AND all the other 5 basic triples that the other ladies attempted. I think of today's ladies skaters, if you combined the technique and quality of Kim's and Rochette's jumps with the 3Axel attempts of Asada, then we'd have an Ito/Harding caliber skater in terms of ladies' jumping.

Coco
05-30-2010, 03:46 AM
I added up the base value for Tonya's jumps in her famous '91 Skate America performance, and even though she does one of each triple (6 total), it's not that impressive of a number. Makes you go hmmm....

judgejudy27
05-30-2010, 04:03 AM
And even Mao doesn't attempt the 3Lutz nor the 3Salchow. Midori and Tonya in their primes attempted the 3Axel AND all the other 5 basic triples that the other ladies attempted. I think of today's ladies skaters, if you combined the technique and quality of Kim's and Rochette's jumps with the 3Axel attempts of Asada, then we'd have an Ito/Harding caliber skater in terms of ladies' jumping.

Yeah that is true, but I give Mao credit for doing 3 triple axels over the 2 programs, making her first women who is actually doing more triple axels per competition than Ito and Harding ever were (that is not a knock on Ito or Harding of course, it has taken 18 years for this to finally happen) but yeah she isnt doing a full compliment of triples most times either and getting a 3/3 in which isnt downgraded is a challenge as well for her.

Coco
05-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Well, if Ito and Harding could have gotten away with only showing 3-4 kinds of triples, they probably could have done 3 triple axels over the course of an SP & LP.

judgejudy27
05-30-2010, 04:29 AM
I wonder how much a skater would have been hurt under 6.0 in the post Trenary era not doing all the other triples, even if they did something like the triple axel.

skateboy
05-30-2010, 04:37 AM
I wonder how much a skater would have been hurt under 6.0 in the post Trenary era not doing all the other triples, even if they did something like the triple axel.

Well, I think that very thing cost Tonya the '91 World title... ;)

bardtoob
05-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Tonya didn't have a 3/3 either, al least consistent. I have only seen her landing it at the 91 Nationals and it was a toe/toe.

We do not know that. Between 1989 :puppet: Nationals to 1991 Nationals, about half the footage of Tonya's skating is unavailable. In that time, Tonya at least won the 1990 Nations Cups (a former GP event in Germany later known as Sparkassen Cup and Bofrost Cup) and she was the first American to ever win the Moscow News Cup (later known as the Cup of Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union) in 1989.

bardtoob
05-30-2010, 05:24 AM

Well, A LOT, considering under the technical score there was no metered level of value, so the:

first 3A (1 first rate jump)= first 3Lz (1 first rate jump)= first 3F (1 first rate jump)= first 3Lp (1 first rate jump)= top quality layback spin (1 first rate spin)

IceKween
05-30-2010, 06:46 AM

She made two major errors. The 1toe-2toe, and then the doubled salchow at the end. I think she might have gotten a few ordinals at least had she nailed her 3salchow at the end, but it just seemed her program fizzled. And ending a program to Wild Thing is kinda iffy to begin with, especially without a final punch.