PDA

View Full Version : Why Tonya Harding Is The Greatest Skater Of All Time

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18

IceJunkie
06-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Do remember than Michelle idolized Tonya back in the day.

MR-FAN
06-23-2010, 06:51 AM
I think they would have still left the title vacant no matter when Harding confessed.

Didn't they offer Michelle the title and she and Frank decided that's not the way they wanted to win their frist nationals?

skateboy
06-23-2010, 07:26 AM
LMAO.

Maybe nobody cared.

I do remember Tonya speaking about MK once, and she had high praise for her.

bardtoob
06-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I think that the story was that Team Kwan was satisfied with USFSA's decision and therefore would not protest. Team Kwan thought that there would be many more titles available for Michelle.

neptune
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I also remember reading an interview with her

You and Tonya read the interview together? Cool. Was she polite? ;)

where she was totally negative about Kimmie's triple axel at the 2005 Nationals. She said she didn't watch the competition but she doubts that Kimmie's triple axel is better than her's or Midori's.

Going from memory, I think she said something like this: "I didn't see her triple axel, but I heard it wasn't as good as mine. So, go back, keep practicing, and keep on working until you get it right! But obviously this girl has guts, because it takes guts to go out and do a triple axel, and that's how I wanted to be as a skater."

She and Ito were on a totally different league altogether.

Apparently they're going to make a new movie starring Ito and Harding called A League of Their Own. Rumor has it that Madonna might even show up again too. ;)

It actually gives Kwan more notoriety to be part of the vacant podium.
Notoriety? Wait, isn't that Tonya's cup of tea?

"No, no....notorious..." ;) (That one may not make much sense unless you listened to '80s music. :))

bardtoob
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
"No, no....notorious..." ;) (That one may not make much sense unless you listened to '80s music. :))

Or watched Donnie Darko . . .

judgejudy27
06-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Didn't they offer Michelle the title and she and Frank decided that's not the way they wanted to win their frist nationals?

No it was not offered as I recall reading a quote from Frank making reference to how they didnt move Kwan and the others up after Harding's disqualification.

dawnie
06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Going from memory, I think she said something like this: "I didn't see her triple axel, but I heard it wasn't as good as mine. So, go back, keep practicing, and keep on working until you get it right! But obviously this girl has guts, because it takes guts to go out and do a triple axel, and that's how I wanted to be as a skater."

Here's the exact quote...

"I heard about it," she says. "And you know what? Unless it's as good as mine or [Midori] Ito's, then keep practicing. I heard she spun around when she landed it. If you don't land it and follow out, it's not clean. So I'll be anxious to see it. How big, how high, how she took off. Did she cheat the takeoff? Did she cheat the landing? We'll see."

MR-FAN
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
No it was not offered as I recall reading a quote from Frank making reference to how they didnt move Kwan and the others up after Harding's disqualification.

Thanks!

MR-FAN
06-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Going from memory, I think she said something like this: "I didn't see her triple axel, but I heard it wasn't as good as mine.

Ain't that the truth :smokin:

neptune
06-24-2010, 01:08 AM

Thanks, dawnie. Maybe Tonya gave more than one interview. Here's the quote that sounds a little more like the one I heard:

From http://www.oocities.com/colosseum/stadium/1190/port61.htm:

As for Tonya's opinion, her comments were "I didn't [see it]. I'm really glad to see that somebody finally had the guts to actually pull it off. I heard it wasn't as good as mine, so she still has some work to do."

I seem to recall actually hearing Tonya give the interview on TV, rather than reading it, but I could be wrong.

Or watched Donnie Darko . . .

Since I had to Google that, I guess it's something I never did. :lol:

bardtoob
06-24-2010, 02:54 AM
Since I had to Google that, I guess it's something I never did. :lol:

"Sometimes I Doubt Your Commitment to Sparkle Motion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouFnQTq6gNQ)"

=> This is Sparkle Motion. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsdk7q08lIc)

Marco
06-24-2010, 03:25 AM

"I heard about it," she says. "And you know what? Unless it's as good as mine or [Midori] Ito's, then keep practicing. I heard she spun around when she landed it. If you don't land it and follow out, it's not clean. So I'll be anxious to see it. How big, how high, how she took off. Did she cheat the takeoff? Did she cheat the landing? We'll see."

Really want Harding to say something about Asada's 3axels. :EVILLE:

miki88
06-24-2010, 05:51 AM

Lol. But the funny thing is Tonya didn't land her triple axels that often either. I think only Midori earns the right to judge 3As done by other ladies. :P

VIETgrlTerifa
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
It's not whether or not she was able to do it often, it was the fact that when she was able to do them, they were a thing of beauty.

I think out of any ladies skater (not that one has to do be able to do them to be able to judge them objectively), Tonya and Midori are the two who have true bragging rights when it comes to that jump.

Anyway, Meissner's 3Axel would not have been ratified if it wasn't for the fact that the people just so excited to see a skater attempt them 14 years after Tonya landed hers at Nationals.