PDA

View Full Version : Why Tonya Harding Is The Greatest Skater Of All Time

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

bardtoob
06-22-2010, 06:48 AM
^ Lipinksi spoiled Kwan and Slutskaya's party. When ever I hear their three names together, I think of an anecdote from 1996 Worlds when Irina says to Lipinksi in an elevator in their hotel, "You are not supposed to be here," and Tara responds, "Yes, I am!!!"

Kwan and Slutskaya had their strengths and weaknesses, but it ridiculous to say that one is "better" than the other.

judgejudy27
06-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Irina spoiled her own party in the late 90s by letting herself get out of shape and inconsistent. It was Irina's slump (and Chen's problems) that allowed Tara to emerge as Kwan's biggest rival in 97 when Kwan herself was having problems. I am pretty sure Irina would have won the 97 Grand Prix final and Worlds over Tara if she just stayed consistent. Tara became a last resort option when Kwan, Chen, and Slutskaya, all were having problems, and in fact most of the top from the 96 Worlds were off the radar in some way. 1997 was a really weak year for womens skating, a perfect time for a consistent 7 triple Tara to make her splash.

Marco
06-22-2010, 08:35 AM
^ Lipinksi spoiled Kwan and Slutskaya's party. When ever I hear their three names together, I think of an anecdote from 1996 Worlds when Irina says to Lipinksi in an elevator in their hotel, "You are not supposed to be here," and Tara responds, "Yes, I am!!!"

Kwan and Slutskaya had their strengths and weaknesses, but it ridiculous to say that one is "better" than the other.

Did that really happen :lol: Slutskaya herself was just 16 herself at 1996 Worlds. :lol:

Slutskaya didn't really have a party until after the millenium when she supposedly improved her artistry :shuffle: and started beating Kwan based on harder jumps. This didn't happen at 1996 Worlds sp, 1997 Worlds lp, and 1998 World lp (the pre-transformation period). I mean she was always in world medal contention back in the mid to late 90s but never title contention over Kwan. She was in Euro title contention since 1996 but neither Kwan nor Lipinski could affect that. :lol:

scootie12
06-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I happened to be looking at some random Tonya vids last night, and here are a few interesting ones I've never seen before.

This one is from Inside Edition where she does the triple axel (not perfect though). She also does a beautiful triple salchow, and actually looks to be in great shape here. Almost looks in better shape than she was in 1994 (at least much more slender than what she looked like in Lilliehammer, which was more muscular). This video says the last time she landed a triple axel was 5 years ago, so I'm assuming it was filmed circa 1996/1997ish?? Based on her appearance, it looks to be within a year or so of when she appeared on "Breaking The Ice," which was in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvtCU2BHSE

PS - Love how the anchor says "triple crown" at the end instead of triple axel...way to do her research :)

I also found this one, which is a day in the life of Tonya, which appears to be filmed in 2010...no earlier than 2009, for sure, and interesting to see her try a triple salchow after being off the ice for a long time (in her words).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhifzGajs0g

MR-FAN
06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
interesting to see her try a triple salchow after being off the ice for a long time (in her words).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhifzGajs0g

The guts!

I can't believe the idiots banned her for life. Our loss.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I remember Entertainment Tonight was interviewing Tonya during the 2002 Olympics and after the ladies SP where Michelle Kwan was sitting in first, ET said they the next day they were going to "reveal" what Tonya thought of Kwan.

I always wanted to know, but I didn't get to see the interview and ended up being majorly depressed that night. I know it doesn't really matter, but I would have liked to see if Tonya had a positive or negative opinion on the Kween.

MR-FAN
06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I know it doesn't really matter, but I would have liked to see if Tonya had a positive or negative opinion on the Kween.

I'm assuming if it was negative, we wouldn't have heard the end of it on this board :P

VIETgrlTerifa
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
LMAO.

Maybe nobody cared.

bardtoob
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I always wanted to know, but I didn't get to see the interview and ended up being majorly depressed that night. I know it doesn't really matter, but I would have liked to see if Tonya had a positive or negative opinion on the Kween.

During the 2007 season, Tonya said on one of those shows (Inside Edition, Entertainment Tonight, etc.) that she missed Michelle Kwan (which mirrored everybody's sentiment).

I think Tonya knew Michelle was good . . . Besides, Michelle admired Tonya pre-wack and asked for her autograph, etc. during those two years they competed against each other at Nationals.

DORISPULASKI
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Tonya will turn 40 in November.

dawnie
06-23-2010, 01:10 AM
I remember Entertainment Tonight was interviewing Tonya during the 2002 Olympics and after the ladies SP where Michelle Kwan was sitting in first, ET said they the next day they were going to "reveal" what Tonya thought of Kwan.

I remember reading a transcript from ET's website during the 2006 Olympics where Tonya was a "special correspondent" or whatever. Tonya said something like how she was sad that Michelle Kwan had to withdraw and that she was looking forward to watching her skate. I'd say she most likely has a positive opinion on the Kween.

I also remember reading an interview with her where she was totally negative about Kimmie's triple axel at the 2005 Nationals. She said she didn't watch the competition but she doubts that Kimmie's triple axel is better than her's or Midori's. :lol:

I am very curious to find out what she thought of the most recent Olympics. What did she think of Mao landing 3 triple axels?

Marco
06-23-2010, 04:14 AM
I also remember reading an interview with her where she was totally negative about Kimmie's triple axel at the 2005 Nationals. She said she didn't watch the competition but she doubts that Kimmie's triple axel is better than her's or Midori's. :lol:

I am very curious to find out what she thought of the most recent Olympics. What did she think of Mao landing 3 triple axels?

She and Ito were on a totally different league altogether.

And Asada's is probably about here.

And Meissner's about here. :P

Marco
06-23-2010, 04:20 AM
I think Tonya knew Michelle was good . . . Besides, Michelle admired Tonya pre-wack and asked for her autograph, etc. during those two years they competed against each other at Nationals.

I can't imagine what would have happened if Kwan had been more of a threat to her Olympic spot in 1994 :yikes: so I guess I am kind of glad she didn't become more of a threat until 1995.

However, if Harding had confessed before Nationals, Kwan would finally have become a 10 time US champ, and would have gone to Lillehammer with Kerrigan.

A lot of Kwan's earlier moves were inspired by Harding: the big lasting ina bauer and the pivots/ edge pulls. But then ofcourse Kwan wasn't able to get that arch or deep edge going. :lol: Even in 2001, Kwan's crescent moon layback was inspired by what Harding did with her layback back in the days (arms and foot positions).

judgejudy27
06-23-2010, 04:39 AM
I think they would have still left the title vacant no matter when Harding confessed. It would have seemed disingenuous to award anyone the title when nobody else would have been able to come close if the attack on Kerrigan that ended up taking out both Kerrigan and Harding (eventually) had happened. And I am sure Kwan is happy with her U.S title count brought up without "and the first of the those U.S title attained when Kerrigan got clubbed in the knee and Harding got disqualified" attached to it.

bardtoob
06-23-2010, 06:06 AM
It actually gives Kwan more notoriety to be part of the vacant podium.