PDA

View Full Version : Kid Cons Way into Harvard (and Out of Bowdoin)

Pages : [1] 2

GarrAarghHrumph
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Adam Wheeler falsified his transcripts and etc., to get himself accepted as a transfer student at Harvard... after having been dismissed from Bowdoin due to academic dishonesty.

Harvard only realized what he'd done in his senior year, when he applied for Fulbright and Rhodes scholarships by listing someone else's work as his own. One of the profs reviewing the scholarship applications recognized the listed work as being that of a fellow professor, and thus not the student's.

Wheeler is being brought up on charges, including larceny, due to having, basically, stolen the over $45k in financial aid he'd received in order to pay for his schooling.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100517man_accused_of_falsifying_documents_from_h arvard/

Interestingly, he was denied an internship at McLean Hospital because they found that he'd lied on his application. See, McLean did a background check. But for Harvard, the kid somehow was able to falsify and submit fake SAT scores, MIT transcripts, Phillips Academy transcripts, false professor references, etc, and got in without a second glance.

rfisher
05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
He'll probably write a book, make a million dollars and be hired by some big corporation as their CEO.

Angelskates
05-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree with you rfisher.

He's obviously intelligent. He's just not channeling it in the right direction.

pilgrimsoul
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
This reminds me of the guy in the movie "Catch Me If You Can." Sounds like he would be useful to the CIA, NSA or some other similar organization.

susan6
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
This reminds me of the guy in the movie "Catch Me If You Can." Sounds like he would be useful to the CIA, NSA or some other similar organization.

Or Goldman Sachs.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Yeah... if they could actually trust him. Which they cannot.

Or Goldman Sachs.

I hate to laugh, but :lol:

danceronice
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah... if they could actually trust him. Which they cannot.

Yes. Remember, Frank Abagnale (subject of "Catch Me If You Can") only went straight and started teaching the FBI to catch check-forgers after he discovered there are worse things than US prisons (like French prisons.) And all he did was teach them how to get people doing what he did--the CIA and NSA do not want someone they can't trust.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Wheeler has plead not guilty.

He'd applied to transfer to Yale when he first got caught at Harvard. His Yale application was denied because Yale had called his parents to check up on some things, and his parents told them he'd been booted from Harvard, and why.

skatingfan5
05-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Wheeler has plead not guilty.

He'd applied to transfer to Yale when he first got caught at Harvard. His Yale application was denied because Yale had called his parents to check up on some things, and his parents told them he'd been booted from Harvard, and why.I guess he likely didn't learn about lying from his parents. Good for them exposing his lies.

MOIJTO
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
He'll probably write a book, make a million dollars and be hired by some big corporation as their CEO.

Only in America!

Tony Wheeler
05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
No Adam in my family, luckily :)

GarrAarghHrumph
05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
No Adam in my family, luckily :)

Whew!

Angelskates
05-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Why would he plead not guilty, when it seems obvious there's a lot of proof he did it?

IceAlisa
05-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Hey, whatever happened to that girl who plagiarized a book to get into Harvard?

susan6
05-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Why would he plead not guilty, when it seems obvious there's a lot of proof he did it?

Ten bucks says he claims some kind of addiction and goes into rehab. It works for celebrities.