PDA

View Full Version : Kim Comments on Her Future

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sk9tingfan
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=473126.html

In a new article on Universal Sports' site, Kim indicates the following:

"It's only been three months after the Olympics, and to think of four more years down the road is just horrendous," the carefree Kim told Reuters in an interview last week.

"I am not thinking of the next Olympics yet because I haven't yet made a decision on next season"

She also communicates some interesting stuff on her relationship with Brian Orser and the whole issue of trust.

lise
05-17-2010, 05:38 PM
thanks! I have a strong feeling that she will turn pro.

screech
05-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm thinking she'll do another season to try to re-claim the world title, but retire once that has been accomplished.

haribobo
05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
For some reason my first thought was of Kim Navarro. :p This thread is about Yuna Kim, in case anyone was wondering....

hanca
05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
thanks! I have a strong feeling that she will turn pro.

Very likely she will, because the new proposed changes are now going to help to Mao and Miky and disadvantage Yu-Na. Yu-Na won't be getting those crazy high GOEs anymore and her 3 double axels won't count for as much. Mao will not be risking as much if she underrotates 3A, and if the rule passes that she can replace 2A in SP for 3A, she will have her option open to go for 3-3 again (the second jump may be UR, but it won't be counted as double with minus GOE). Which means that Yu-Na would have to work much harder now to keep ahead. I think it is too high risk for Yu-Na.

igniculus
05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
and if the rule passes that she can replace 2A in SP for 3A,

That rule should have been passed ages ago. It was so unfair not letting the ladies go for the 3A in the SP instead of the 2A.

IceJunkie
05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I think she'll stay in another year and then retire, but even then I really worry about her keeping the motivation up. I imagine its hard to stay focused when you've already won the big prize.

MikiAndoFan#1
05-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I want Yu-Na to stay, but, for now, I just want her to decide what's best for her!

:saint:

tarotx
05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
If she can't find the motivation she should not compete next season no matter how hard it is or not for her country to keep it's worlds spots.

Also please it's not like she has a weakness the new word highlight-they just don't penalize other skaters flaws as bad. Yu Na is a great skater and would be so under any of the rules skating has had (figures aside since she hasn't had to train them so we have no real idea).

JamieSix
05-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I can't ride bicycles," Kim said.

Don't worry, Yu-na. I don't know how also. :)

ali_dorate
05-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Yu-Na, you were born to skate!!
Though it's nice to see her smiling, laughing and singing(!), I sincerly hope her to stay. I miss her eyes when she was on.

But may be it's too much for her right now.
Take your time, Yu-Na. I look forward to hearing from you.

Doubletoe
05-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Very likely she will, because the new proposed changes are now going to help to Mao and Miky and disadvantage Yu-Na. Yu-Na won't be getting those crazy high GOEs anymore and her 3 double axels won't count for as much. Mao will not be risking as much if she underrotates 3A, and if the rule passes that she can replace 2A in SP for 3A, she will have her option open to go for 3-3 again (the second jump may be UR, but it won't be counted as double with minus GOE). Which means that Yu-Na would have to work much harder now to keep ahead. I think it is too high risk for Yu-Na.

Why do you say she won't be getting the high GOE's anymore? The GOE guidelines haven't really changed since last season and that's where YuNa's big scores tend to come from. If she skates clean (which she often does), she can still beat Mao, even under the new jujmp rules. She would just have to be motivated to do it, and that's where the real problem lies.

kwanfan1818
05-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Why do you say she won't be getting the high GOE's anymore? The GOE guidelines haven't really changed since last season and that's where YuNa's big scores tend to come from. If she skates clean (which she often does), she can still beat Mao, even under the new jujmp rules. She would just have to be motivated to do it, and that's where the real problem lies.
The point values for each level of GOE (-3 to +3) have changed in addition to the adjustments in base value:

From HisWeirness' post (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2753940&postcount=2) in the "Changes to Jump base values and GOE in Communication 1611" thread:

Double Axel
Base value
2A: 3.3, 3.5 (-0.2)

GOE (+++, ++, +, -, --, ---)
New: (1.5, 1.0, 0.5, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5)
Old: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -0.8, -1.6, -2.5)

Triples (toe through axel)
Base Values
3T: 4.1, 4.0 (+0.1)
3S: 4.2, 4.5 (-0.3)
3Lo: 5.1, 5.0 (+0.1)
3F: 5.3, 5.5 (-0.2)
3Lz: 6.0, 6.0 (no change)
3A: 8.5, 8.2 (+0.3)

GOE (+++, ++, +, -, --, ---)
Triple toeloop through lutz
New: (2.1, 1.4, 0.7, -0.7, -1.4, -2.1)
Old: (3.0, 2.0, 1.0, -1.0, -2.0, -3.0)

For what she did in her Olympic FS, for jumps Kim would have received a total of 5.5 points less based on changes to GOE scale and base values, including losing 2 points but would have recovered a little over 2 points back from the combination bonus, with the following caveat:

The program included three 2A's, which won't be allowed, even though two were in unique combinations and the third a solo 2A, and the solo and one of the combos were preceded by a move in the field. (But I digress). She did two 3Lz's and two 3T's, which means she'd have to replace one of the 2A's with another double or with a 3Lo.

I'm not sure if her spins, all called 4's in Vancouver, meet the new level requirements. She would have lost 1.9 more points in base value for the spiral sequence, which changes to a choreo spiral in the FS. On the other hand, her closest competitors also had L4 spirals and would be in the same boat.

Her closest competitor Asada has every incentive to do 3A, 3A/2T, and a 3/3 combination in the FS, knowing that she'd get at least intermediate credit for all of the triples, in addition to 30% more GOE on the two 3A's than for any other triples for the same -3 to +3 grade.

riveredge
05-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Take your time Yuna. Just follow your heart. But I hope she will continue competing.

Norlite
05-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Take your time Yuna.

But not too much time.

Please be ready by October and Skate Canada. ;)