PDA

View Full Version : Kim Comments on Her Future

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

miki88
05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I find it amusing how some people manage to dig out negativity from whatever Yu Na Kim says.

I find it amusing you are saying this when all you do is to find negative things to say about Mao and her fans. :rolleyes:

bek
05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I think you are just keeping your eyes closed and your ears stuffed about how much the old rules were made to benefit Yuna highly and disadvantage other ladies and made them sunken. And did you forget the fact there were actually some rule changes in the past (from Torino to Vancouver) that nearly ruined Mao's jump arsenals and almost killed her?

Most of the rules were in place before Yu-na was a Senior. The only thing that was not in place was the edge rules, but that's something people were clamoring for awhile, and Yu-na also had to make changes due to those rules as well.

miki88
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Most of the rules were in place before Yu-na was a Senior. The only thing that was not in place was the edge rules, but that's something people were clamoring for awhile, and Yu-na also had to make changes due to those rules as well.

But the edge rules were a big disadvantage to Mao, and probably led her to make the changes to the layout that we see currently. I don't believe they were made to target Mao specificially but couldn't we say the same for the new rules? These are also changes that people have wanted for awhile. I just don't understand why these rules have to be seen as favoring one and disadvantaging another skater.

bek
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
But the edge rules were a big disadvantage to Mao, and probably led her to make the changes to the layout that we see currently. I don't believe they were made to target Mao specificially but couldn't we say the same for the new rules? These are also changes that people have wanted for awhile. I just don't understand why these rules have to be seen as favoring one and disadvantaging another skater.

But the edge rules were only fair, and should have been instituted a long time ago. And Kim was essentially hurt by the edge rules herself.

RumbleFish
05-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I think you are just keeping your eyes closed and your ears stuffed about how much the old rules were made to benefit Yuna highly and disadvantage other ladies and made them sunken. And did you forget the fact there were actually some rule changes in the past (from Torino to Vancouver) that nearly ruined Mao's jump arsenals and almost killed her?

I firmly belong to the purist camp in regards to jumps.
Rule changes leading up to Vancouber were perfectly fair and I strongly believe it has restored some decency back to sport of figure skating.

Ando and Joannie fixed their flip, and Rachel and Mirai fixed their lutz.
Many ladies like Laura Lepsito, Elena Glebova, worked hard to achieve solid triple-triples, not to mention girls fresh off the junior circuit like Ksenia Makarova and Sarah Hecken.
I don't know what Asada was doing while all this was going on, but she certainly had plenty of time to fix her jumps.

Having said that, I want to point out that I'll have no choice but to deem you as a conspiracy theorist unless you could come up with credible evidence to back up your statement saying;

"how much the old rules were made to benefit Yuna highly and disadvantage other ladies"

miki88
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
But the edge rules were only fair, and should have been instituted a long time ago. And Kim was essentially hurt by the edge rules herself.

I am not saying the rules were not fair. I am just saying a similar case can be made for the new rules, which don't just affect one skater either.

Also, this not to you bek, but I just wanted to say for those who keep on saying that Mao did nothing to correct her flutz. She spent a whole season (2008-2009) correcting it. I believe she would have continued had the next season not being an Olympic season. Also, just because a skater doesn't use it in competition doesn't mean she is not practicing the jump.

RumbleFish
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
I find it amusing you are saying this when all you do is to find negative things to say about Mao and her fans. :rolleyes:

I will ridicule stupid conspiracy theories regardless who says it.
Likewise, I will show my displeasure for skaters being held up unfairly via bad judging and/or manipulation of rules.

Let me also make myself clear that I find your comments extremely offending.
By alleging that I only post here to saying negative things about Asada and her fans, you are unfairly trying to discredit me and opinions I have.
You have completely failed to come up with any grounds, and I find your post no different from any other cheap-shot like PR stunts certain group of people in this board like to pull.

BTW, I can promise to be one of the first one to praise Asada if she manages to land a clean 3Lz, 3S, and a well rotated triple-triple.

Lookingood
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Go mao! Go mao! I hope Mao RULES! new season!

riveredge
05-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Goodness. This is about Yuna's future. And now we're heading to another Mao vs. Yuna debate.

kwanfan1818
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM

But the edge rules were a big disadvantage to Mao, and probably led her to make the changes to the layout that we see currently.
The edge rules have been there from the beginning of CoP; it was in this cycle that they decided to enforce them by making the call the responsibility of the technical team instead of the judges, who weren't taking the deductions for blatantly wrong edges.

If anyone thinks this was an anti-Asada crusade, talk to Joubert and Weir.

On the other hand, it's hard to see how a rule that allows the 3A in the SP for Ladies isn't specifically to address the old rule that helds one specific Ladies' skater back, but I think the rules for Ladies and Men's FS's should be the same: same length, same jump rules, same step/spiral rules.

key65man
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Staying ahead of a rival is no longer to be as good a motivational factor after some point. Nevertheless, people will constantly bring it up or even go so far as to create it out of thin air as it sells. Competition is competition. So, the pressure will be there all over again.

Yuna doesn't appear to appreciate winning/beating a rival as much as a fierce competitor would. I can understand it and like the perspective. If Yuna continues on in order to win a medal and beat a rival, the frame of mind will eat her skating away, especially after winning the Olympic gold.

People remember a rivalry as an anecdote and admires a medal count in passing moments. But, it is a body of work that ultimately measures one's achievement and contribution, and leaves a lasting legacy.

I hope she comes back for the love of the art of figure skating. In so doing, she will be able to create a bigger library of great performaces. That may be the only way she motivates herself and still is able to find the whole process meaningful and enjoyable.

smarts1
05-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Some skaters (i.e Kwan) can stay motivated to win repeated world titles, especially if they love skating and competing - though that seems to be becoming less the case under CoP.

I do agree though that it might be hard for Yunah to keep the motivation up - but because of the huge amount of pressure and expectation she has to bear. Her use of the word 'horrendous' was telling. And so was her comment (sad in my opinion) that she would like to not worry about eating too much because if she gained weight her face looked bloated in her pictures - but she didn't even know what she wanted to eat. It was if she is not really allowed to be just human. .

Perfection and brilliance were expected of Yunah at the Olympics and she delivered. She is certainly the best in the world at the moment, but I question whether she was motivated more by a true love of the sport of by her sense of obligation to her nation as its 'queen' (Orser has emphasized that obligation). Or, if the burden that came with her huge celebrity and wealth at such a young age dwarfed and perhaps undermined her love of the sport.

I expect she will stay in a year because she feels obligated to do but wonder if we will ever again see the same fire and perfection we saw at the Olympics.

I would really be sad to see her go. Mao is my favourite and in contrast to Yunah, she has plenty of drive and for her, the best (or better) may still be yet to come. But she thrives on competition (before Worlds she said she just wanted to beat Yunah one more time).

Without Yunah, the field would definitely deflate. Miki and Mao need to be pushed, Mirai is not yet ready IMO to move up a full level. Kostner's best days are behind her and Rochette will likely not return to competition. That leaves. . . well, Markova is one bright light I guess.

Mirai's getting there. In one or two seasons, she'll get up there for sure. But of course, we don't what surprises will be up next season... (like the transformation Joannie went through between 2007-2008 and 2008-2009)

ratatouille
05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
The article above (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/9081653) was released by Reuter.

The photos by Reuter during the interview with Yu-Na.

photo 1. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na looks at her mobile phone during an interview with Reuters in Seoul May 14, 2010. (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100517/i/r403949863.jpg)

photo 2. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na smiles during an interview with Reuters (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100517/i/r1379266321.jpg)

photo 3. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na smiles during an interview with Reuters 2 (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100517/i/r3158546433.jpg)

photo 4. South Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na reacts as she speaks to the media during an interview with Reuters (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100517/i/r3888772253.jpg)

OMG! looks like she's had her eyes done. Am I wrong ? I really liked the way she was before

ros01
05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Looks like it's an eyeliner line drawn in. No doubt if she actually ever had plastic surgery, there would be even more ridiculous internet articles!

hanca
05-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I wholeheartedly advice you to learn how to better manage your anger.

What do you mean? I am not angry at anyone.... :confused: