PDA

View Full Version : Inoue & Baldwin & World Professional Championships

Pages : [1] 2

cryptick
05-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Just wondering firstly if Inoue & Baldwin have retired. Also do they still have the World Professional Championships? It used to be on tv years ago.

tarotx
05-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Not yet
and no :(

Tony Wheeler
05-16-2010, 04:43 AM
I heard about a month ago that Scott Hamilton was planning on trying to revitalize the pro competition scene, aiming on holding six competition in the winter of 2011. He had apparently just gotten a major investor to jump on board when I heard the news, but I haven't heard anything since. I'd imagine at least one of the planned competitions would be a "serious"-type format like the former World Pros and Ladies Pro Championships.

tarotx
05-16-2010, 04:56 AM
A new pro worlds would rule!

PEKINGMOO
05-16-2010, 05:26 AM
I miss World Pro's. In the late 80's - early 90's that comp was more interesting than most anything going on in the amature world. Brian B. & G&G in their primes ...even Midori Ito throwing her 3x.

Nostalgia...I think this would be an amazing platform to see Kwan return to public ice...if she ever chose to. Sort of like Janet Lynn kicking off the original in the early 80's.

attyfan
05-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Nostalgia...I think this would be an amazing platform to see Kwan return to public ice...if she ever chose to. Sort of like Janet Lynn kicking off the original in the early 80's.

From your post to G-d's ears! Seriously, it would be a great platform for renewed matchups between classic rivals -- Kwan/Slutskaya; Yags/Plush, etc.

BigB08822
05-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I think some new pro comps would be great, especially if you got someone like Kwan in on the action. For the competitions to have any shot there needs to be BIG names. Try to get a line up of Kwan, Cohen, Yamaguchi (she can probably still outjump the current world bronze medalist, just saying...), Arakawa, etc. etc.

The problem to me would be television interest. We don't even get to see the World Championships or anything at the moment. The only competition aired on Network television right now is Nationals and Skate America LP's, right? If they wont even air other major competitions it may be really hard to get them to air a professional competition.

mmscfdcsu
05-16-2010, 01:47 PM
I think some new pro comps would be great, especially if you got someone like Kwan in on the action. For the competitions to have any shot there needs to be BIG names. Try to get a line up of Kwan, Cohen, Yamaguchi (she can probably still out jump the current world bronze medalist, just saying...), Arakawa, etc. etc.

I think that you need more than names. You need great skating. Pro competitions were really lame until Boitano came along and kept his technical skills so strong. He WAS Pro skating. The thing that I fear with Scott involved is that it will turn into a bland Disson like show with mediocre skating to putrid kiddie tunes. I want real competition. No appearance fees. Rewards for real quality skating.

jlai
05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I think that you need more than names. You need great skating. Pro competitions were really lame until Boitano came along and kept his technical skills so strong. He WAS Pro skating. The thing that I fear with Scott involved is that it will turn into a bland Disson like show with mediocre skating to putrid kiddie tunes. I want real competition. No appearance fees. Rewards for real quality skating.

Amen!

kwanfan1818
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Pro competitions were lame because they were by invitation, not by qualification.

alchemy void
05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Yamaguchi (she can probably still outjump the current world bronze medalist, just saying...), Arakawa, etc. etc.

Cute. :rolleyes:

Anyways professional skating is dead in the United States, thanks in part to Hamilton. I can't imagine it making a comeback anytime soon.

Jubak
05-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Cute. :rolleyes:

Anyways professional skating is dead in the United States, thanks in part to Hamilton. I can't imagine it making a comeback anytime soon.

Totally wrong statement, sorry. ProComps are dead due to a greedy ISU wanting a piece of it. The last "Landover" comp had pros with amateurs who were skating their regular ISU-type programs. It was beyond boring.

Hamilton was a star in ProComps. He didn't kill it, he was one of the golden gooses. If anyone can bring it back, it will be him. (and I'm not a huge Scott fan, esp. of his commentary-yuck!) He just is a skater who has a pretty good business acumen.

Jayar
05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
It was stuff like Phillipe Candeloro's 30 minute programs that beat an exquisite Rudy Galindo that killed pro skating.

Frau Muller
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I would love to see a World Pros come back but NOT if it's bankrolled by Scott/Stars on Ice, which would not be fair to skaters not affiliated with SOI.

Willowway
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
they were by invitation, not by qualification

How does a professional skater who, by definition, is not competing regularly 'qualify'?