Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

pinky166
05-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Brezina, Rippon, Hanyu for sure
Ten, Amodio, Fernandez likely
Song, Schultheiss, Borodulin maybe

Jaana
05-16-2010, 08:06 AM
If I had to put my money on any of the young guys its Brezina.

Its just he's a great jumper, and a lot of the other guys are not great jumpers. And I think he does have artistic potential too, even though his choregraphy especially needs work. If he can do those quads consistently, and manage to get the type of levels he got at worlds, I think he will start winning competitions quickly..

Four years ago after the Torino Olympics I had same kind of feelings about Tomas Verner´s success and predicted him for the 2010 Olympic champion, LOL...

In this point now I think that Ten working with Frank C. would have great chances to become something. Of course it depends on whether he is a really hard worker and has self-discipline and drive.

To me, dominant means more than "successful"; it applies to skaters whose place on a podium is close to a sure thing -- as with MK or Yags or Plush during the 6.0 era. While Evan was successful, there were also enough guys capable of beating him to prevent any one of them from dominating in that sense.

Evan dominated in 2009-2010, because he was the one who beat others and won Worlds, GPF and Olympics. After 1984 there has been no reigning World champion managing to win the Olympics in men´s discipline.

Zokko!
05-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Amateur Lysacek :yikes: :scream: was just lucky 'cause the judges had a "favour" :bribe: for him ... he'll still remain as one of the most ridiculous ..."... Olympic ... "Champion" ..." ... for decades.

As for the question, the talented guys, I'd say Rippon, Ten, Amodio, Borodulin.

briancoogaert
05-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking about what happens in the next quad leading into Sochi. There is a lot of talented men coming up. Kozuka, Rippon, Brezina, Florent, Fernandez, Denis Ten, the Japanese men.
I agree with your list. Those guys are amazing.
But I didn't see very good ones at 2010 Junior World. We'll see next season.

MOIJTO
05-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Four years is a long time and all kinds of things can happen. As far as the "IT" factor. I would say that there are a few who have it now even though they haven't seen a senior world podium.

bek
05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Chan also places a premium amount of jumps in the second half of his free skate. He basically does two short programs and then the second half of his free skate is jump time. It is probably much smarter for him to get those triples consistent. It's not like he has major problems doing any jumps-no bad technique there but to try to get a quad now that is risky.At this point he could probably ease up on transitions and still get high marks because of his rep. That is really cynical but he can start winning if he got those jumps and of course doing less stuff before them would help.

Chan has problems with the triple axel (it may be getting better) but its clearly still an issue jump for him. Also, I brought up Brezina because I think with his quads, (if he does them consistency) and he can continue to get the decent levels he was getting, I think that he could become very dangerous for everyone. He was 3rd in the free skate without a 3/3 and without his quads, if he puts them in his TES will shoot way up, as will his PCS. Plus with the new rules about being able to do two quads in the short (although I don't think he's ready for it now...)

judgejudy27
05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
4 years ago who would have ever predicted Lysacek to be the 2010 Olympic Champion though.

Jaana
05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
4 years ago who would have ever predicted Lysacek to be the 2010 Olympic Champion though.

Maybe one should have watched his "Carmen" fs from 2006 Olympics with more thought? Anyway, that was a clear indication of his huge fighting spirit (now in hindsight, LOL).

MikiAndoFan#1
05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Takahiko Kozuka, Yuzuru Hanyu, Javier Fernández, Denis Ten, Adam Rippon, Florent Amodio, Patrick Chan, Michal Brezina, etc. I hope Nobunari stays until 2014!

:cheer2:

briancoogaert
05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Talk about Ilia Kulik in 1998, but not about Lysacek in 2010.
Lysacek was already World medalist in 2005 and was already a medal contender in 2006. He bombed his SP but skated very LP in the LP. So, his Olympic Gold in 2010 is not such a surprise. ;)

pinky166
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Lysacek was already World medalist in 2005 and was already a medal contender in 2006. He bombed his SP but skated very LP in the LP. So, his Olympic Gold in 2010 is not such a surprise. ;)

ITA. He was also world champion last year so he was clearly a favorite to win, if Plushenko and Lambiel had not come back he probably would have been the biggest favorite to win OGM.

mia joy
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Amateur Lysacek :yikes: :scream: was just lucky 'cause the judges had a "favour" :bribe: for him ... he'll still remain as one of the most ridiculous ..."... Olympic ... "Champion" ..." ... for decades.

yeah, but who did deserve to be named an Olympic Champion in Vancouver anyway? that men's event was the most disappointing thing in skating for me in years.

as for the guys aiming for Sochi, they're all fresh air, capable of achieving a lot in the future, but to be honest none of them makes me anyhow excited. Well, Fernadez, yes, but I guess he's the only one. I guess it's just difficult for a male skater to win me these days :P I would say none of them stands out yet, not in a way to take your breath away with his own extraordinary style. But that's just my opinion - I'm still waiting for these boys to develop.

caseyedwards
05-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Chan has problems with the triple axel (it may be getting better) but its clearly still an issue jump for him. Also, I brought up Brezina because I think with his quads, (if he does them consistency) and he can continue to get the decent levels he was getting, I think that he could become very dangerous for everyone. He was 3rd in the free skate without a 3/3 and without his quads, if he puts them in his TES will shoot way up, as will his PCS. Plus with the new rules about being able to do two quads in the short (although I don't think he's ready for it now...)

I am sure Brezina is not changing his free skate for next season choreographically to see what happens if he adds a quad or a 3/3 or does more jumps after the halfway point. All of these are possible technical advancements or for more bonus points. I would be surprised if many skaters added quads to the short when so few do quads in the long successfully. Short program seems to be for most the time to be conservative.

bek
05-17-2010, 02:07 AM
I am sure Brezina is not changing his free skate for next season choreographically to see what happens if he adds a quad or a 3/3 or does more jumps after the halfway point. All of these are possible technical advancements or for more bonus points. I would be surprised if many skaters added quads to the short when so few do quads in the long successfully. Short program seems to be for most the time to be conservative.

Brezina has said that he will be adding the quad next season. (maybe both). I don't see why the eventual plan couldn't be to put the quads in the short, but I"m thinking if he does that it won't be next season. As for jumps in the second half, he already does a lot of those...

Lysacek was already World medalist in 2005 and was already a medal contender in 2006. He bombed his SP but skated very LP in the LP. So, his Olympic Gold in 2010 is not such a surprise.

It's not just that, but Lyseck also was one of the most consistent skaters too and one of the better competitors. He struggled with the short early in his career, but he was very good at shooting up in the standings in the long. He was on the world podium for two years in a row before Daisuke. Once Lambiel and Joubert started struggling with consistency/whatever else. It really shouldn't be that surprising that Lyseck started taking advantage. Sure the guy had luck, and no he's not as good as Yagudin. But I think that a guy winning all of the major international competitions from Worlds to the Olympics is pretty darn dominanting. Or its more of a sign that a lot of these guys struggle with consistency/delivering under pressure.

Fandango
05-17-2010, 05:53 AM
yeah, but who did deserve to be named an Olympic Champion in Vancouver anyway? that men's event was the most disappointing thing in skating for me in years.
Agree, it was devastating to watch how my most favourite (Olympic) discipline ended in such a disaster. :(