PDA

View Full Version : Little Girls Dancing; Too Young to 'Put a Ring on It'?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

soxxy
05-15-2010, 01:28 PM
The girls are 8 and 9 year-olds. I think they're talented, but it's all a bit too much, IMO. Then again, I'm not a parent.

The dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dc6u92boyw

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=63572&type=moms

People are outraged by the Orange County dance troupe's risque costumes and sexual moves, and feel that this is yet another example of our culture's tendency to sexualize young girls.

One mom said, "People have made comments about how the music video is inappropriate...Our girls haven't seen the Beyonce music video. What they have seen is the Chipettes do it in the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.

Uh, mom, the girls likely saw more than just the chimpmunk 'Squeakquel' movie.

Norlite
05-15-2010, 01:38 PM
When my daughter was 5 (she's 27 now) , her dance class did a number in the annual recital to "Papa Don't Preach"

I was a little surprised at her dance teacher's choice, but no other parent said a word that I'm aware of.

MOIJTO
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
To much? Uh! Yeah! But its what advertising and marketing breeds! Of course a parent needs to be a parent and I am sure the parents of these girls are as befuddled by the marketing too!

soxxy
05-15-2010, 01:50 PM
When my daughter was 5 (she's 27 now) , her dance class did a number in the annual recital to "Papa Don't Preach"

Hmmm, 1988-ish. Do you remember what they wore?

"I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby!" Did they hold dolls? The mind reels. :lol:

tarotx
05-15-2010, 03:52 PM
I do find that they are sexualizing these young girls. They do it at all these type events-rather it be a pageant or dance competition. Imo It's pretty much because the adults are living their own dreams though their daughters. AND because the young girls see the glam of the adults they are imitating and they think it's all shiny and pretty.

PDilemma
05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Beyonce's video for this features less skimpy attire and less suggestive movement.

This is disturbing. They are dressed like and dancing like strippers. And the parents who think it is okay need some help.

Norlite
05-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, 1988-ish. Do you remember what they wore?

"I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby!" Did they hold dolls? The mind reels. :lol:

There wore a lot more than these girls. Leotards, tights and a skirt.

No, no dolls. But OMG if they had :lol:

Kruss
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I think it's disgusting. I don't care what the girls are aware of and what they're not aware of - this is way too mature for little girls. And I don't care what little kids are exposed to, whether it be in the past or now - doesn't make it right. This is akin to the little girl pagents where they all dress/dance like Vegas showgirls, IMO.

PrincessLeppard
05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I think if the outfits hadn't been so.....slutty.....there wouldn't be as much outrage. There are a couple of questionable moves, but with a cuter, less revealing costumes, they wouldn't stand out so much.

Karina1974
05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I do find that they are sexualizing these young girls. They do it at all these type events-rather it be a pageant or dance competition. Imo It's pretty much because the adults are living their own dreams though their daughters. AND because the young girls see the glam of the adults they are imitating and they think it's all shiny and pretty.

I attended a dance school for 12 years (1986-1998), and I never remember any of the parents being allowed to, or trying to, call the shots on the competition group numbers. The solo competition routines, maybe, and I wouldn't know because those are worked in in private lessons only, but not the groups.

tarotx
05-15-2010, 07:27 PM
I have close friends whose children do competition dance and two nieces who used to do these competitions so I know parents have some influence but I was talking about the adults creating the routines and selecting the costumes.

piano18
05-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Horrible!! Just..terrible!

Auntie
05-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I remember watching a dance recital when my children were little. One of the more accomplished high school girls did a verrry suggestive solo to "All that Jazz". My friend said to me "Oh joy, look what we have forward to. We pay for ten years of dance lessons, costumes, competitions, etc. and then we can watch our daughters dance like strippers in front of all our friends." :scream:

skatemommy
05-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree the gyrations are too much and the costumes look like street walkers. Shame on this instructor. I wonder how she taught them some of that stuff?

Wyliefan
05-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I remember watching a dance recital when my children were little. One of the more accomplished high school girls did a verrry suggestive solo to "All that Jazz". My friend said to me "Oh joy, look what we have forward to. We pay for ten years of dance lessons, costumes, competitions, etc. and then we can watch our daughters dance like strippers in front of all our friends." :scream:

That's about the size of it, unfortunately.