PDA

View Full Version : Little Girls Dancing; Too Young to 'Put a Ring on It'?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

mmscfdcsu
05-16-2010, 01:32 AM
http://www.popeater.com/2010/05/14/single-ladies-little-girls/?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popeate r.com%2F2010%2F05%2F14%2Fsingle-ladies-little-girls%2F

Pathetic. Poor kids. :(

Indra486
05-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Just not liking that pedophiles could watch this and get off to it. It's right up their alley. Gross.

Pedophiles would get off at this regardless of what the girls are wearing.

That said, I've been told this type of attire is normal at dance competitions. I wouldn't know because I've never been to one. The fact is that it would be "more appropriate" if their midriffs were covered. Yes, I understand the need to show body line but a leotard would have sufficed. At the same time, excuse my ignorance, but do little girls even have definitive body lines (ie: leg lines) of adult dancers at such a young age? I figure you develop that as you get older.

The Accordion
05-16-2010, 02:36 AM
I agree with everyone who has said that with different costumes it just wouldn't be that bad since the moves would not come across as nearly as sexual.
At the same time - those costumes combined with different moves and music would not be as bad either.
Such a shame since the girls are quite fantastic.

bobalina77
05-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Well.. they're dressed like mini Pussy Cat Dolls, and they move their hips better than I do. It is a little disturbing.

That said they are amazing little dancers.

cruisin
05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Hideous costumes and tragic makeup aside, I don't see the problem. The girls are really talented dancers.

This is rare, but I agree with you here. :lol:

The outfits are awful, and I agree with those who have said that if the outfits were not so skimpy, probably no one would have a problem with the dance. I can say that sometimes, with dance studios they re-use outfits for routines. These could have been used before with older girls and they just didn't want to spend money on new ones. Not only were they rather tacky and inappropriate, they really didn't even capture the mood of the dance. But I've seen just as bad or worse on young Ice Dancers.

The girls are amazingly talented. This was a family and friends concert, not sure how it wound up on the internet, and while I dislike the outfits, I don't think this deserves all of the public outrage it's getting.

Satellitegirl
05-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Take away the hip thrusts and give them new costumes and it would have been better. they're obviously very talented. It's a shame, and the teachers know better.

Holley Calmes
05-17-2010, 02:50 PM
That made me physically ill.

If they had been the senior girls, it would still have made me ill.

I guess because I am the marketing director for a serious dance non-profit, I see this kind of stuff as so unbearably trashy and getting these kids nowhere in the dance world. The choreography they were doing was not really that challenging. Everybody's got flexibility these days from the age of 5, and this type of pseudo contemporary-pop moves employ a lot more energy than technique. Put them in a real contemporary class, or a real modern class, or a real ballet class, and we'll see if they are getting what they need. Looks like their next step at this studio is pole dancing class.

This is what happens when the lower-end of the competition circuit gets attention. These poor babies! They are being terribly sexualized at too young an age. There's also a difference between "sexy," "alluring," and "provacative" as opposed to being just trash. This is trash. There's nothing wrong with sexy on the right age dancer in the right way. Sexy can be classy.

I feel better now. But not for those poor children.

Rob
05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
That is horrible, and I couldn't even watch the whole thing. Even if they are talented. But I agree with Holley, when young dancers focus on performing and not on technique, they can develop bad habits. Put them in a proper class with some brief age appropriate performing.

I have a friend who has a ballet school and she had very good technique when she was a dancer. But the parents want to see performances and they donate money every year for a really big production. Nice sets and costumes and everything is age appropriate. But they stop classes mid-year and spend all their time rehearsing for this thing and you see the most god awful bad habits on the younger children - sickled feet, supporting leg turned in while they are trying to force the working leg to turn out too much at that age, etc.

barbk
05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Really unfortunate that the dancer's parents quoted in the article see absolutely nothing wrong with the attire or pelvic thrusts. Probably the same kind of folks who when their daughter gets to middle school will see nothing wrong with hugely inappropriate clothing at school either. Not sure what it will be by then, but a half dozen years ago we had a 6th grader with high thong underwear sticking up in the back above jeans cut impossibly low in the front -- her parents couldn't understand what was wrong with that as school attire either.

Stormy
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Hideous costumes and tragic makeup aside, I don't see the problem. The girls are really talented dancers.

I agree. The costumes were awful, but they are great dancers. Are those girls wearing outfits like that to school? I doubt it. You cannot correlate a dance routine to how those girls act in real life. It's completely ridiculous for anyone to assume their parents would let them wear hugely inappropriate clothing in school. You don't know that. I just don't see a problem with this. It's just a dance routine.

Holley Calmes
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
and you see the most god awful bad habits on the younger children - sickled feet, supporting leg turned in while they are trying to force the working leg to turn out too much at that age, etc.

And then when they turn 12-14 and go to audition for big name company summer intensives, they aren't chosen and the parents scream "What have I been paying my money all these years for?" Our company just focuses on Nutcracker, which has some really challenging choreography for every level (it's unique in that way-different from most Nuts) and each year the kids progress up another level to the next "step" if they have advanced enough. So we use Nutcracker for our "spectacle." Then for Spring Concert we focus on a combination of classical and contemporary choreography and emerging choreographers so the girls get to do something more contemporary....and they all have to take tap, modern, jazz and hip hop.

I feel it is our job to shelter, nurture, and yes, even protect our dancers to an extent. We have produced a Princess Grace Award winner, have a principal at NCDT, a soloist at Houston, six dancing in corps de ballet around the country, a young man who just launched his own contemporary company (had been with Ballet Arizona), and we just sent a 14 year old off on full scholarship to SAB year-round. We also had a finalist go to NYC this year for Youth America Grand Prix (the right kind of competition....) So I do feel like I have a position to stand on. This kind of "dance" is just worthless. And I'm not just getting on my soapbox to promote or hold up classical ballet as the only type of dance form! I'd be saying the same thing about keeping the excellence and standards of tap, jazz, hip hop and especially modern, which seems to be becoming overshadowed by contemporary. Pure modern is fabulous.

But I want to know where are the fathers of these little girls? Are they out in the audience hooting and screaming? How sick is that?

Holley Calmes
05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Those girls were fantastic dancers, though, for their age.

No, they are fairly good athletes who can mug to the audience. The tricks they are doing don't require much dance training. Pretty much any cheerleader could any of this with little effort. But I hold cheerleading to a higher standard than this.

NeilJLeonard
05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
really talented girls! :eek: eys, the costumes were a bit in bad taste...
I agree. The kids put their heart and soul into it & can dance up a storm. Still, the whole thing, especially the costumes, was a decade or more beyond them.

NJL

Anita18
05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
My first thought was, "Hey, these girls really CAN dance!" and the other stuff didn't really register for me past that. :lol:

Clearly I'd make a terrible parent. :rofl:

marbri
05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I've seen the Chippettes video. Interesting they claim they are doing that version when it's Beyoncé I hear singing and the moves and look have more in common with her video than the white tees and skirts the Chippettes wear :P

I've seen it time and time again in dance and skating shows. Coaches pick some top 20 song and make a routine to it borrowing dance moves from a completely different age group and sticking them in sexy little costumes. Check out a lot of online clothing store for these sorts of dance classes and they are all bearing their midriff in something I'd expect to see on a NFL cheerleader and not my 8 yo.

Speaking of 8yo when my youngest was that age and they were getting ready for the spring show their coach picked some song. Can't remember the title, was some hit that year roughly 5 years ago, and I sat with my mouth open when I first the song at the first rehearsal and heard them discussing costumes (fishnets, short shorts). So I asked her afterwards whether she'd really listened to the lyrics of that song and did she really think it's a good idea to stick 3 8yos in fishnets and shorts gyrating to a song about masturbation.

Her solution was to let the three young ones do their own separate number and let the rest, average age 11/12, gyrate for the audience.

Find those numbers lazy and unimaginative and are usually the most boring of every show I've been to. There is plenty of music out there and ideas if you take the time to find them. How nice would it have been for those little girls who worked their little butts off on that routine to have had adults give them something that didn't turn their shining moment into a debate topic for tabloid talkshows. Just laziness all around, it is absolutely commonplace and not out of the ordinary but lazy.