PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

MarieM
09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
And now, those kids can't do even the most basic CD.
I am soo soooooo mad.

Cherub721
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Finally had the chance to catch up on some videos...

Leonva's LP looks like a lot of fun. I'd never seen Tut before... she reminds me of Mao. She's good, but didn't wow me.

I was really curious to watch V&T after all the negative comments about their choreo... I was very pleasantly surprised! So they don't have S&S and K&S levels of detail, but their programs would stand up to any other top pairs just fine! They're conservative choices, but every pair I can remember has been conservative with music choice in their first season, including S&S and B&S. You have to respect that V&T are out there after only 4 months. They could have skipped the test due to a lack of preparation, but they came out and showed their "in progress" programs, so of course it's not perfect.

Some of the elements could use work, but when they're just skating sbs, they are sooooo well watched. Maxim is emoting and Tatiana can really present herself and not have it look weird because she's next to a lumberjack (but Stanislav Morozov is still a rockstar!). I do wish she would go back to brown hair so they can be a dark, moody team. :lol:

Also, they seemed to relate to each other well with the smiles at the end of the performance and kind of being like "hey, we did the best we could!"

Gerboldt & Enbert look really nice... she could become one of my faves. Disappointed by Martiusheva & Roganov, considering they skated last year's program and still looked so unpolished! I&M definitely "won" the SP at the test skate for me, they are like an adorable baby G&G (I didn't see K&S' full program, just a clip).

I wasn't that into I&K's SD, but it was the first SD I've ever seen, so maybe I just don't like the format. :P The waltz and the tango kinda looked like the same dance. I preferred Monko & Khaliavin. OTOH I really like what I saw of I&K's FD (as usual, my opinions are the opposite of everyone else :lol:). I luuurve that they wore black for both programs so you could really see their lines... shows confidence! You forget how young they are until the final pose. The FD was very musical, and I loved Elena's flourishes and the constant movement throughout (brought to mind DomShabs Masquerade waltz). Yes, they need to work on lifts; I thought they were boring last year too and was surprised they were level 4s since they don't look all that difficult. You do have to hand it to Zhulin for not making them N&K clones. N&K wouldn't do an FD with so much continuous movement and they preferred highlight moves and lifts with weaker in betweens.

Natasha Miller
09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
What's so sad about Dick Button's hate towards B&B is that he was trashing two of the nicest people in skating. Natalia is just such a gentle little bird - she's quiet, shy, very kind and thoughtful. She has this tiny quiet voice, and you just want to give her a hug. She is beloved by everyone in Russian skating community.

Watching old tapes, it was painful to hear Dick's commentary. He just hated their skating with a passion, and it became personal. He took it to the next level. If he knew them as people, he'd never exude such distaste for them in his commentary.

MarieM
09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Who cares about Dick Button anyway ?

Ziggy
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Who cares about Dick Button anyway ?

Quite. Dick Button is an idiot and his commentary is so moronic, I just try to switch off if I have to watch it.

The problem is that he probably has a lot of influence over American casual viewers. :/

inthemiddle
09-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Dick Button is an idiot and his commentary is so moronic

:confused::drama:

alilou
09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Quite. Dick Button is an idiot and his commentary is so moronic, I just try to switch off if I have to watch it.

The problem is that he probably has a lot of influence over American casual viewers. :/
Me too. He can't string a coherent sentence together. Don't get the love at all.

kwanfan1818
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Back in the day, when he and Jim McKay wore black tie to commentate on figure skating, Dick Button was the Father of Snark.

Ziggy
09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Me too. He can't string a coherent sentence together. Don't get the love at all.

What I find most annoying is how he focuses on some very random details whilst ignoring everything else.

And yes, he doesn't exactly have a way with words. :P

alilou
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Back in the day, when he and Jim McKay wore black tie to commentate on figure skating, Dick Button was the Father of Snark.

Back in the day before his brain injury, and old age. Yes, I've heard. But now I wish he'd just go away :P

And I will see you later!

Ziggy
09-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Back in the day before his brain injury, and old age. Yes, I've heard. But now I wish he'd just go away :P

:rofl:

10/10 snark :D

casken
09-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm confused.

Dick's commentary on B&B during the 88 games was very complimentary.

I believe it was Toller Cranston that used to tear them apart.

kwanfan1818
09-23-2010, 11:57 PM
He did get in the "wait until the FD" snark, but, yes, he was drooling all over their edges, which were truly drool-worthy.

Vash01
09-24-2010, 08:55 AM
What's so sad about Dick Button's hate towards B&B is that he was trashing two of the nicest people in skating. Natalia is just such a gentle little bird - she's quiet, shy, very kind and thoughtful. She has this tiny quiet voice, and you just want to give her a hug. She is beloved by everyone in Russian skating community.

Watching old tapes, it was painful to hear Dick's commentary. He just hated their skating with a passion, and it became personal. He took it to the next level. If he knew them as people, he'd never exude such distaste for them in his commentary.

Dick is very biased (though he cannot compete with Bezic and Hamilton in that regard). If he dislikes a skater, he won't see anything good about him/her. B&B had some very good programs, as eligibles and pros. I liked their exhibition programs better because they suited their passion better. As pros they were very creative, but never got credit for being innovative.

Vash01
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Well, we all know that figure skating is very subjective and judges are after all only humans, so being pretty only helps. ;) Do you think Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze with all their consistency issues would have been as successful as they were had they had the looks of, say, Nina Petushkova and Sergei Sakhnovsky? I don't think so. :watch:

B&S did not get a pass from the judges for having pretty faces. Their skating skills - speed & power, quiet blades, postures, lines, unison were among the best ever. The beauty in their skating was extraordinary, and quite often that overcame their inconsistency because as skaters they were head and shoulders above everyone else they were competing against.