PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67

orbitz
09-22-2010, 04:05 AM
V/T
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMHag_tgRYE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMHag_tgRYE)

Somewhat overbearing, nondescript music. They seem to just be going through the motion. No connection with the music.

Jenna
09-22-2010, 04:39 AM
As much as I hate Kawaguchi (and I hope her arm falls off in competition, eventually)

:huh:

A tasteless remark.

julieann
09-22-2010, 04:47 AM
K/S look almost ... juniorish when viewed right after V/T.

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprtf5Mbkhg

She messed up her first triple jump, the twist may have been high and nice but it was only a double, he messed up his double jump, the lifts were easy, the spins were off, she fell on the throw, 4:00 their only good lift, hand down on the throw, good death spiral for her but he leans too much, old pairs spin from last year, whole thing done in slow motion....

and as far as I know neither one of them had major surgery, groin and ankle injury and wern't off the ice for 7 weeks this summer.

By contrast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QO3J9oaJsI this is K/S first competition together in 06, and their former partners were not Mukhortova and Morozov (world 4th place partners) and they only were with Moskvina for 9 weeks.

V/T should be more polished than they are; I think they look like strangers out there. I hope it doesn't take long for them to find their grove, I really like her. K/S look pretty good considering, if K/S look 'juniorish' V/T and the rest of them look like novices. B/L look the most prepared.

pinky166
09-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Anna Ovcharova pulled out of the JGP in Japan. Anyone know what's up with her? I thought her injury was very minor, but considering she's pulled out of so many competitions recently, it would appear otherwise. Hope she is ok!

sk8gr8h8
09-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Volosozhar/Trankov both have great basics, they look good together and you can see they have "it." Elements are rough but surely will improve with time. Their programs however... No excuse. Two overused pieces of music, two bland boring routines. Morozov messed up big time. (Although maybe I should reserve judgement until they are competition ready).

Agreed completely. They deserve much better programs to really show off what they have out there. Hope he tweaks the long before the big comp.

equatorial
09-22-2010, 06:43 AM
I dunno. I think I/K's SD is very decent but the FD looks very bland to me.

The programs are ok and they will get better with more practice but after the last season's programs, the bar was set very high.

I was expecting amazing from I/K and they didn't deliver.

I actually like their Don Quixote FD better than last year's Schindler's List :slinkaway

MarieM
09-22-2010, 07:43 AM
V&T made IMO one huge mistake : not going with a very well known coach.
This leads to two rather boring programs to music we should never hear again ! Booo.

Jaana
09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
My impressions from Day 2 of the Russian test skate in Odintsovo (September 19).

Gerboldt/Enbert SP. Struggled with some elements and finished after their music, but the impression is still good.

Thanks so much for your impressions, Eislauffan!!! I watched a clip of Gerboldt/Enbert skating and thought they look really great together, such an elegant and handsome looking pair, WOW!!! Enbert looks rather slim for a male pairs skater, but is still able to do all those lifts with a female skater who is not one of the tiniest. They really look like a great pair.

Artifice
09-22-2010, 08:51 AM
But looks does play a very important role, otherwise skaters, male and female, wouldn't spent so much time fussing over their hair, tans, makeup, etc. I think a major reason why the ice dancers Natalia Bestemova and Andrei Bukin (?) were not more popular was because of their looks. It didn't prevent them from winning Olympic and Worlds, but still, they would've been so much more if they were "beautiful". Yes, it's superficial, but that's the way it rolls.

To me a skater / pair is first of all judged on the skating and the performance. That's how they get medals, or not. You said it yourself, Bestemianova & Bukin despite their not so good looking physical appearance managed to be champions. And if the skater / pair is actually good looking, it helps more for the media part, for the public view and maybe can have an impact on their professional career since producers are more willing to hire those whom the public want to see. But I don't really agree that the look has a major impact on how they are judged in competition.

Bestemianova & Bukin are excellent dancers since they are world and olympic champions. But they were a little too much for me, they style was too excentric for my taste, too exagerated. So IMO that's why I never really get them. Maybe other people had the same view as mine.

equatorial
09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
But looks does play a very important role, otherwise skaters, male and female, wouldn't spent so much time fussing over their hair, tans, makeup, etc. I think a major reason why the ice dancers Natalia Bestemova and Andrei Bukin (?) were not more popular was because of their looks. It didn't prevent them from winning Olympic and Worlds, but still, they would've been so much more if they were "beautiful". Yes, it's superficial, but that's the way it rolls.

I think Besti/Bukin were not more popular outside of the former Soviet Union was due to the fact that Dick Button bashed their skating style every single time he was commentating during ice dancing events. He just plainly disliked them.

Domshabfan
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I think Besti/Bukin were not more popular outside of the former Soviet Union was due to the fact that Dick Button bashed their skating style every single time he was commentating during ice dancing events. He just plainly disliked them.

May be it didn't match his concept of elegance... Poor Besti/bukin where subjected to wrath of dark lord himself.

But I have to agree that they where not best looking pair, and I like them for that they won the gold medal in a sport where looks could mean a lot.

Anya
09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
V&T made IMO one huge mistake : not going with a very well known coach.
This leads to two rather boring programs to music we should never hear again ! Booo.

I would not necessarily blame Mozer for their music choices and programs. Last season her Junior team Novik/Kuznetsov had two nice programs, their short to "Figaro" was among my favorite pairs programs of the season and their long has been done to "Dollan's Cadillac"(?) OST, which is hardly a "music we should never hear again" (or, at least, not because others have already done it to death). In fact, I think overall Mozer's students tend to have better packaging than skills.

allezfred
09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
K/S look almost ... juniorish when viewed right after V/T.

OK, I know people have their style preferences and all that, but really? If Kawaguchi/Smirnov are juniorish, I'm hoping the next JGP event with pairs is broadcast online because I really want to see it. :P

Volosozhar/Trankov are obviously both excellent skaters, but even then it takes a while for a pair to gel together. From the videos I've seen they seem to be progressing well. :)

Hedwig
09-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I would not necessarily blame Mozer for their music choices and programs. Last season her Junior team Novik/Kuznetsov had two nice programs, their short to "Figaro" was among my favorite pairs programs of the season and their long has been done to "Dollan's Cadillac"(?) OST, which is hardly a "music we should never hear again" (or, at least, not because others have already done it to death). In fact, I think overall Mozer's students tend to have better packaging than skills.

I agree. Novik/Kuznetsov had some very voidy programs. This telephone call program was very funny.
Problem is - as expected - Morosov. If Mozer had done the programs I think we would have seen more interesting stuff.
The skills they already have (or will have soon as a pair as well). The packaging is the problem at the moment.

pinky166
09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I actually like their Don Quixote FD better than last year's Schindler's List :slinkaway

Agreed. She has such a balletic look on the ice I think with more mileage their new FD could be quite stunning.