PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Eislauffan
09-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I spoke to Elena Ilinykh. They are planning to change their lifts, so I think we'll see something new next time.

Asli
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Now I see why Tarasova went meh re I/K. They are clearly less prepared at the moment than other teams. But I love their programmes, recycled lifts notwithstanding. This is their first year in seniors, no big deal about recycling.

I think their FD is overall beautiful and Don Quixote is a great choice to polish a young team's lines and unison. :) Besides it was high time a top team chose to do a classical ballet other than Romeo and Juliet. Ballet scores are underused in ice dance.

It's not a problem to recycle lifts just for one season - senior teams recycle them for many years - but some of these lifts do not reflect the character of the ballet IMO. Especially the staright line lift from Navka/Kostomarov's Carmen and the rotational low lift from Lobacheva/Averbukh don't fit in at all IMO. The one-hand rotational lift that Pechalat/Bourzat started and now everyone is using is also not really in style. This is a team that is capable of skating very well to a classical ballet, but they must have the choreography for it. It will also look better when their costumes are ready of course.

Methinks we'll see more in-betweens there as the season starts ;)

Why? Transitions are so last decade! :P Their transitions are not inferior to any of last years olympic medalists. It's not as if they would be competing against Del/Schoe or Denkova/Staviyski. The important thing is to do the elements well now - both step sequences could do with more flow. This free dance has no stops, which is very unusual. I admire their stamina.

Their short dance on the other hand! :swoon: The change in format is so radical, yet right away they have come up with something brave and voidy. The waltz is from Schnittke's magnificient soundtrack to the film "Agony". I can't believe how well the music matches the highlights of the Golden Waltz, while giving it a completely different mood to what we are used to. OTOH it is obvious from their performance that I/K have only just learned the Golden Waltz. A real disadvantage for them. :(

I agree that the change to the tango is abrupt, but it would be a pity to discard it as the midline step sequence to the tango is fabulous. The program would not have the same energy if they continued with the waltz IMO.

Doraemon
09-20-2010, 09:25 AM
I spoke to Elena Ilinykh. They are planning to change their lifts, so I think we'll see something new next time.

really?I think that's a good news;)

Asli
09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Thank you very much for your impressions, Eislauffan. :cheer2:

MarieM
09-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Great !! That's all they have to do really to make it work well.
And having Elena as a crazy Ballerina in Don Quixote would do a lot if they do lifts to match their music.
They need to make an impact right now this season.

:encore::encore::encore:

Finnice
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Thank you for all your reports from Russia, Eislauffan!

JerseySlore
09-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Thank you Eislauffan!
I really liked the first two minutes of I/K's fd. It gets little repetitive and boring after that. Hopefully new lifts will inject more dramatic effect to the dance.
I will reserve my criticism on their SD b/c it wasn't skated well, but for now I prefer the Tango part to the Golden Waltz part.

let`s talk
09-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Very COOL videos at http://www.championat.ru/video/other/v/13/13863.html!

Thanks for the link. It is much better quality than that youtube stuff. That always freeze on my computer.

IMO V/T are much slower than I excepted, considering how much noise was around about this new duet. And they are slower than K/S methinks.

bek
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the link. It is much better quality than that youtube stuff. That always freeze on my computer.

IMO V/T are much slower than I excepted, considering how much noise was around about this new duet. And they are slower than K/S methinks.

K/S have been together for years. V/T are a new team who are just getting use to each other. Give it time.

galaxy
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Glad Yuko is back on the ice now.
Maybe we will able to see K/S's new program at Carnival on Ice on October 2.:encore:
Yuko is the most famous pair skater in Japan right now. Even people who don't watch figure skating at all know about her.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
09-20-2010, 05:51 PM

That's good news. :)

and thanks for your reviews. :D

IneZR
09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I am very very impressed with Gerboldt/Enbert, her especially. Obviously they still have TONS of work to do, but Katarina does all those pair elements so fearlessly, it's like she's been skating in pairs for ages. How does she do that?

Kavaguti/Smirnov, Volosozhar/Trankov and other pairs better watch out, because this is the pair to reckon with in the future. Not only do they skate with ease and nice flow, but they also are both ridiculously good-looking people (Elena/Anton anyone?). Pairs competitions are going to be SO interesting in this quadrennial, I can't wait for this season to start! :watch:

kwanfan1818
09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I only saw one of their two programs, but despite the issues, Gerboldt really sells the program with grace, and that she also projects a tangible ease and rapport with her partner is remarkable for someone who has just learned to be lifted and thrown in the last few months.

equatorial
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
I only saw one of their two programs, but despite the issues, Gerboldt really sells the program with grace, and that she also projects a tangible ease and rapport with her partner is remarkable for someone who has just learned to be lifted and thrown in the last few months.

Not to mention that G/E is probably the sexiest pair in ages :saint:

Moka-Ananas
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Not to mention that G/E is probably the sexiest pair in ages :saint:

I disagree, Martiusheva/Rogonov are just :swoon: x 1000