PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

JerseySlore
09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Is it just me, or is Alena starting to look like Emily Hughes?

Stephanie
09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks Doris. Still surprised to see them with only 1 assignment, especially after they finished 4th at Russian nationals and would probably have made the JGP final again. Looks like something must have delayed their season to not get an earlier assignment. Even though they are listed as subs at three events, logistically, I don't see how they'll get a 2nd assignment. Russia still needs to assign Kosigina/Moroshkin, who mathematically should make the final. Guessing Kosigina/Moroshkin will replace Loseva/Lunin in Germany if Antipova/Kudashev are being sent to Ostrava. Looking like Russia will qualify 5 dance teams into the final, wow.

It's not impossible that Antipova/Kudaishev could be assigned to Germany as well. Zenkova/Sinitsin (currently assigned to Dresden) finished 4th in their first assignment and the Russian Fed may feel that Antipova/Kudaishev have a better shot at making the final.

On another note, does anyone have any background on Nikol Gosviani, who will compete at the Japan JGP this season? Her name is obviously very un-Russian. I assume her father is from elsewhere (Italy? USA?)

oleada
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
On another note, does anyone have any background on Nikol Gosviani, who will compete at the Japan JGP this season? Her name is obviously very un-Russian. I assume her father is from elsewhere (Italy? USA?)

She is coached by Urmanov. She's got nice presentation, IMO. She had some issues with her jumps last season but did well at the test skates. No idea about her background, though.

Autumn_girl
09-19-2010, 07:34 PM

I guess Georgia, but I can be wrong

Lexxandra
09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Really? I thought her skating looks rougher and more laboured. Her spins for sure got worse, and her perkiness seems even more forced than before.
Earlier in this thread Eislauffan wrote that Leonova is sick with a cold. It can be the reason for her laboured skating.

nro
09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Their technique is crappy. The twist in the video looked a little worse than they usually do it, which is understandable if they've had limited training time due to injury. I wish the judges would stop giving them +2 GOE on this element though. :rolleyes:

She does a big split though. I'm guessing that's the reason for the GOE. The split increases the difficulty but it's not factored into levels it seems.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any pairs which do a similar-sized split and have a perfect catch?

Autumn_girl
09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Earlier in this thread Eislauffan wrote that Leonova is sick with a cold. It can be the reason for her laboured skating.

But is it me or she really fixed her flutz? Just watched her FS and it was outside edge...

rfisher
09-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Is it just me, or is Alena starting to look like Emily Hughes?

No. That was exactly my thought too.

Eislauffan
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
She is coached by Urmanov. She's got nice presentation, IMO. She had some issues with her jumps last season but did well at the test skates. No idea about her background, though.

I also heard that she has a Georgian background. There are/were other skaters with Georgian names: Nodari Maisuradze, Anton Sikhuralidze come to my mind first.

ainouta
09-19-2010, 07:53 PM
If Leonova can skate her new long clean, with all of the transitions that it has right now, it could be excellent.

oleada
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I also heard that she has a Georgian background. There are/were other skaters with Georgian names: Nodari Maisuradze, Anton Sikhuralidze come to my mind first.

Thanks.

I've only watched the pairs so far. Really like Gerboldt/Enbert (GerBert? ;))'s SP. It's so dance-y. They have a potential to be a really good couple. I/M were wonderful! :cheer: Totally different from yesterday. SkateGods, whatever it is, make them skate like that all the time. I'm not totally sold on V/T's music yet...I think it's a bit too heavy for their style. But I like their look together. I like K/S music choice, but they're just never going to be my cup of tea.

Fashionista
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Gosviyani is a typical Georgian name.

casken
09-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I wonder what the reaction will be to Brobrova and Soloviev's FD considering the new music rules.

No wonder Tat was disappointed when she saw Ilinykh/Katsalapov. The lifts are recycled and the in between choreography is nothing special. It's actually kind of Shpilband-ish. The ending of the program doesn't work at all, imo.

Their skating and performance quality is still amazing though.

Stephanie
09-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Thank you to everyone who answered about Gosviani. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does next weekend.

Kutien
09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
today video from http://fsnews.ru Odintsovo (Russia)