PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jayar
09-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Maria and Maxim are both exquisite skaters IMO. They have excellent basics, beautiful posture and move easily and gracefully on the ice. I loved this pair.

It is not fair to say Maxim blew it when it counted while Maria didn't. At the olympics, in the SP Maria doubled her toe and put a hand down and in the LP she fell in the salchow. So there would have been no medal for them anyway. These were usual mistakes for her. OTOH Maxim's fall in the SP and hand down in the LP are the only mistakes I can remember from him upto that point in their long career. Maybe he made one or two more that I didn't see, but usually he is a fantastic jumper. Probably that's why he had such a strong reaction after the SP. Noone saw this coming.

It is also not fair to say "he blew it when it counted". The Olympics are not the only competition that counts, and most of the time Maxim was the one who delivered.

Hopefully Maria's problem is a confidence issue that will go away with a new partner. It is possible! After all, now she is the more experienced partner and Blanchard has everything to prove. :)

However good Blanchard was several years ago, we don't know what kind of shape he is in now. Plus, a pairs skater is nothing without a partner. So he's lucky to find Maria. :)

He was a trainwreck in the 2008-09 season. He fell consistently that season.

senorita
09-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Although new pair V/T looks great i liked Maria and I want that she do well. How many top pairs russia will have along the new one of Moskvina?

Asli
09-01-2010, 02:49 AM
He was a trainwreck in the 2008-09 season. He fell consistently that season.

In the 2008-09 season he landed all his jumps at the Worlds, Euros and TEB and missed one out of three jumps at the GP Final. I don't know about his remaining GP event.

Autumn_girl
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Another test skates in Novogorsk!
Ladies (Agafonova, Gosviani, Ovcharova, Biryukova, Sotnikova, Zaseeva, Afanasieva, Sheveleva and also Alena Leonova) showed TAT their SP. Leonova did great, TAT really liked her program and especially her lutz and even kissed Alena for that. Anna Ovcharova can't do toe-pick jumps yet because of her injury, but she is going to compete at the JGP in Japan. Agafonova wasn't good today, fell on her combo and missed some other elements. Sotnikova also fell on one of her jumps.
Sofya Biryukova will not compete at the JGP (who wanted to see her on senior GP? Your wish came true!). She will compete at Finlandia Trophy (and also Menshov and Leonova) and at the Cope de Nice (with Ksenia Makarova) and then will skate at the Rostelecom cup. Zaseeva or Gosviani will replace her at the JGP events.
Men: Gachinski did quad, Menshov did 4-3. Bariev has really nice programs but can't do difficult jumps because of knee injury

Nomad
09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the news, Autumn_girl. I was afraid the RF would send Biryukova out on the JGP and we'd be stuck with Gozeva at Rostelecom.

caseyedwards
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Good for Leonova. Same for Biryukova getting Rostelecom cup. I know at Jr. Worlds Gachinsky doubled his attempt at a quad in the free skate so if that's getting better for him good. Menshov is getting like all the Senior B's a skater can get so maybe he can get Rostelecom cup if he does well.

Nomad
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know if they've chosen a third man for Rostelecom yet?

pinky166
09-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Another test skates in Novogorsk!
Ladies (Agafonova, Gosviani, Ovcharova, Biryukova, Sotnikova, Zaseeva, Afanasieva, Sheveleva and also Alena Leonova) showed TAT their SP. Leonova did great, TAT really liked her program and especially her lutz and even kissed Alena for that. Anna Ovcharova can't do toe-pick jumps yet because of her injury, but she is going to compete at the JGP in Japan. Agafonova wasn't good today, fell on her combo and missed some other elements. Sotnikova also fell on one of her jumps.
Sofya Biryukova will not compete at the JGP (who wanted to see her on senior GP? Your wish came true!). She will compete at Finlandia Trophy (and also Menshov and Leonova) and at the Cope de Nice (with Ksenia Makarova) and then will skate at the Rostelecom cup. Zaseeva or Gosviani will replace her at the JGP events.
Men: Gachinski did quad, Menshov did 4-3. Bariev has really nice programs but can't do difficult jumps because of knee injury

So did Anna do her program with loops, sals, and double axels then? Or just with no jumps?

And I'm so excited to see Sofia at COR instead of Gozeva! Yayy.

Any word on what music Agafonova, Ovcharova, Birukova, Sotnikova are skating too? Their music hasn't been updated on their ISU bios yet.

Nomad
09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Polina Agafonova
SP Korobushka
LP Silva by Kalman

Sofia Biryukova
SP opera
LP Danse Macabre

Anna Ovcharova
SP Jazz Medley
LP Don Quixote by Leon Minkus

I don't know what Sotnikova is skating to.

pinky166
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Polina Agafonova
SP Korobushka
LP Silva by Kalman

Sofia Biryukova
SP opera
LP Danse Macabre

Anna Ovcharova
SP Jazz Medley

I don't know what Sotnikova is skating to.

Anna kept both her programs from last year? I thought she had 2 new programs?

Sotnikova I heard kept her Strauss Waltz SP but I don't know what her FS music is.

Fashionista
09-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Ovcharova has Chicago in LP.

pinky166
09-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Ovcharova has Chicago in LP.

That's what I thought. But according to the poster her programs are both the same as last year, maybe that's a mistake? Or maybe after she got injured she went back to her old programs? I'm very confused.

Also, is Korburushka the same SP Agafonova had last season, or was that some other Russian song?

angietang
09-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Men: Gachinski did quad, Menshov did 4-3.

Artur landed the quad?! Wow... Is it a beautiful landing? I can't wait to see him competing at senior events in the new season!

Thank you, Autumn girl, for the report!

Eris
09-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Anna Ovcharova
SP Jazz Medley
This is written in her ISU profile, I'm not sure, may be it wasn't updated yet? Her coach said that they were going to change programs...:confused:

Yeah, Agafonova keeps her SP.

pinky166
09-02-2010, 04:09 AM
This is written in her ISU profile, I'm not sure, may be it wasn't updated yet? Her coach said that they were going to change programs...:confused:

Yeah, Agafonova keeps her SP.

It says 2010/2011 season with those music choices listed but I think that's a mistake because I heard she had at least one new program that was either Chicago or Cabaret, and I remember in the interview with her coach she talked about changing both programs, so I'm gonna guess they just left the old music choices there, because it doesn't look as though anything else on the bio was updated (height, choreographer, training hours - don't know if any of those changed since last season but they very well could have).

And good, I like Agafonova's SP from last season, so cute :). I wasn't so crazy about the FS last year so I'm looking forward to seeing the new one.