PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sylvia
08-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Johnny Weir tweeted last night that Ksenia Makarova "landed her first 3Lz" in her winning FS at the Moran Memorial club competition in NJ. Makarova's next scheduled competition is at Middle Atlantics in NYC in mid-September.

Here's a new article on Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (she will make her JGP debut in Romania on Sept. 8-12): http://goldenskate.com/articles/2010/082910.shtml

loopey
08-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Johnny Weir tweeted last night that Ksenia Makarova "landed jer first 3Lz" in her winning FS at the Moran Memorial club competition in NJ. Makarova's next scheduled competition is at Middle Atlantics in NYC in mid-September.

Here's a new article on Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (she will make her JGP debut in Romania on Sept. 8-12): http://goldenskate.com/articles/2010/082910.shtml
Thanks Sylvia!

Glad to hear about Ksenia's success, look forward to seeing her this season on the GP circuit.

She was not at the Russian test skates? Is this because she lives in the US?

Vash01
08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the link, angietang! I haven't seen Blanchard before. He has beautiful posture -- reminds me a little of Anton S. They look great together.
:)

That got my attention. :)

I hope to see his vid one of these days.

pinky166
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Any updates on the condition of Anna Ovcharova and Adelina Sotnikova? They are both scheduled to compete on the JGP in a few weeks so I guess they have to make a decision about whether to compete or not soon.

poths
08-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Yet again Moody gets a partner who is WAAAY too good for her. Blanchard is one of the best male pairs of the 21st century. It will be interesting to see who makes the Russian team this year.

hanca
08-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Yet again Moody gets a partner who is WAAAY too good for her. Blanchard is one of the best male pairs of the 21st century. It will be interesting to see who makes the Russian team this year.

Well, she may have got a very good partner, but she will still need to land those jumps...

julieann
08-30-2010, 11:25 PM

:rofl: I wouldn't go that far! But I am more excited to see this pair than V/T.

I think Maria is not given enough credit and some skaters are given too much. She does have trouble landing some side by side jumps but remember she didn't eat it at the Olympics SP, Maxim did. So say what you want about his skating he blew it when it counted. He also triped over his own skates throwing her at Worlds and she managed to land that awful throw!!!!

So with different partners the dynamic will be different, they both seem really happy. I prefer Maria over Tatiana, even the way she bows is better. Maybe it's the ballet arms I like better.

Is Jerome even cleared to skate in Russia? It would be a pity it they can't skate at all.

LynnW
08-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Is Jerome even cleared to skate in Russia? It would be a pity it they can't skate at all.

Yes, he has been skating for Russia for years now. He used to skate for Russia with Valeria Vorbieva, but they never competed internationally. He has been released by the French Federation though.

Asli
08-31-2010, 12:19 AM
I think Maria is not given enough credit and some skaters are given too much. She does have trouble landing some side by side jumps but remember she didn't eat it at the Olympics SP, Maxim did. So say what you want about his skating he blew it when it counted.

Maria and Maxim are both exquisite skaters IMO. They have excellent basics, beautiful posture and move easily and gracefully on the ice. I loved this pair.

It is not fair to say Maxim blew it when it counted while Maria didn't. At the olympics, in the SP Maria doubled her toe and put a hand down and in the LP she fell in the salchow. So there would have been no medal for them anyway. These were usual mistakes for her. OTOH Maxim's fall in the SP and hand down in the LP are the only mistakes I can remember from him upto that point in their long career. Maybe he made one or two more that I didn't see, but usually he is a fantastic jumper. Probably that's why he had such a strong reaction after the SP. Noone saw this coming.

It is also not fair to say "he blew it when it counted". The Olympics are not the only competition that counts, and most of the time Maxim was the one who delivered.

Hopefully Maria's problem is a confidence issue that will go away with a new partner. It is possible! After all, now she is the more experienced partner and Blanchard has everything to prove. :)

However good Blanchard was several years ago, we don't know what kind of shape he is in now. Plus, a pairs skater is nothing without a partner. So he's lucky to find Maria. :)

loopey
08-31-2010, 12:38 AM
:rofl:
Maria may not be the best female pair skater, but she is still one of the best still skating. Max didn't place in the top 5 in many World and European Championships by himself!

She is not one of my favorite by no means, but that has as much to do with attitude as performance. Your post makes me smile! I would agree 100% with it based on attitude, but not based on overall talent.

mia joy
08-31-2010, 12:50 AM
you know, it's pairs, after all, it doesn't really matter that much who made a mistake at which competition as long as they stay a team, for better and for worse, right? Maria and Maxim just stopped being a team at some point. After all, they're all human and allowed to make mistakes from time to time. See, even superconfident Maxim and Tatiana also manage to fall, put a hand down or double a jump once in a while.

angietang
08-31-2010, 01:33 AM
:rofl: I wouldn't go that far! But I am more excited to see this pair than V/T.

I think Maria is not given enough credit and some skaters are given too much. She does have trouble landing some side by side jumps but remember she didn't eat it at the Olympics SP, Maxim did. So say what you want about his skating he blew it when it counted. He also triped over his own skates throwing her at Worlds and she managed to land that awful throw!!!!

So with different partners the dynamic will be different, they both seem really happy. I prefer Maria over Tatiana, even the way she bows is better. Maybe it's the ballet arms I like better.

Julieann, let's shake hands... :lol:

julieann
08-31-2010, 04:02 AM
It is not fair to say Maxim blew it when it counted while Maria didn't. At the olympics, in the SP Maria doubled her toe and put a hand down and in the LP she fell in the salchow. So there would have been no medal for them anyway. These were usual mistakes for her. OTOH Maxim's fall in the SP and hand down in the LP are the only mistakes I can remember from him upto that point in their long career. Maybe he made one or two more that I didn't see, but usually he is a fantastic jumper. Probably that's why he had such a strong reaction after the SP. Noone saw this coming.

Maria didn't double her her toe although she did per her hand down, but know one even noticed because all we were looking at was Maxim sliding across the ice. Maxim's mistake cost them around 5 or 6 points, no they wouldn't have got a medal but because the other teams were better. But they would have got a much higher place. I would rather be 4th or 5th than 7th.

It is also not fair to say "he blew it when it counted". The Olympics are not the only competition that counts, and most of the time Maxim was the one who delivered.

The Olympics are very important to any person in sports that is why he had such a bad reaction after the short, he knew he blew it in the most important sp of his career thus far. His reaction was heartbreaking. He may be a strong jumper for the most part but you need to deliver when it counts and incidently he fell the same way at the 2008 Russian Nationals.

I haven't seen Jerome skate before but him and Maria look good for what I saw so far the little snipets are good enough until a competition. I wished they had showed more like V/T but maybe M/B will get to go to COR.

vassily
09-01-2010, 12:37 AM
For one, i am quite happy with the current pair M-B. Give them some time! They should be a force if they get some more consistency, and not let things mess their head.

Asli
09-01-2010, 12:53 AM
He may be a strong jumper for the most part but you need to deliver when it counts and incidently he fell the same way at the 2008 Russian Nationals.

You are a hard taskmaster! :eek: MM/TT have competed in so many Worlds, Euros, GP events that I wasn't even thinking about their nationals. In the 2008 Russian Nationals he landed the toe but fell in the salchow. How many couples land triple salchows? Anya wrote in her event review that this was the first time in five years - i.e. in their entire partnership -that he had fallen in the LP. Much less consistent skaters have been world and olympic champions and I wish the same to Trankov.

I haven't seen Jerome skate before but him and Maria look good for what I saw so far the little snipets are good enough until a competition. I wished they had showed more like V/T but maybe M/B will get to go to COR.

Both pairs look fantastic together and IMO both new pairs have better chemistry than Maria and Maxim. It is better to have two good couples rather than one!

Will M/B compete in Russian Cup events?