PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

pani
08-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not so sure about Tarasova's criticsm. It's been for a while that Zhulin's group worked with a schedule like that, one ice time a day, but the time was quite long. For example, when they were still training in the "Centralnyj" ice rink, they had ice from 9 am to 1 pm or 2 pm as far as I remember. Then they were in Megasport (Na Khodynke), and then in Novogorsk. Each time, there were certain restrictions to the schedule that were not Zhulin's fault. His skaters nevertheless worked hard, had a good preparation and did well in competition. Last time I spoke to him, Zhulin hoped to get more ice time and a rink where he could adjust his schedule better to the needs of his skaters. I think it is a little unfair to blame him or to assume that the schedule affected the preparation of his skaters. Maybe Tarasova expected more from Ilinykh/Katsalapov and was a little disappointed with what she saw. Maybe she is already politicking against them because she seems to be in favour of Bobrova/Soloviev now.

I think Tarasova is very open person. But you know about FS much more, then FS fans.. :D
All could be, but i cant remember any situation, when TAT didnt support really greate skaters, even who represnt another country or didnt work with her at all.
At last season I-K was her favorites and she talk about there talent all the time, in every TV show and during her work like co-commentator. What could happened from that time?

TAHbKA
08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
The interview translation
Vaitsehovskaya's interview with Tarasova (http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2010-08-23/16_1/)

Tatiana Tarasova: Volosozhar and Trankov's skating is already mindblowing.

The most standing out characteristic of Tatiana Tarasova is her ability to shock. Last Saturday, coming to the interview, I stood speachless with my jaw dropped.

- Yes, - she was enjoying my reaction - I lost 33kg and think I should loose 15 more. I set a target at the end of January, when realized that unless I start taking care of myself I wouldn't be able to walk. And, hence, to work. I should undergo a hip surgery, but it's 4-5 months of rehabilitation, which I can't afford just now.

EV: Do you still consult the Russian team?
TAT: And the coaches as well. Am involved in all the new rules, I meet the judges, conduct seminars, created 11 different programmes. This is a part of the work which I am doing my best to keep. Work with the music alot, just like before.

EV: Could you elucidate on the programmes?
TAT: I choreographed 2 programmes for Artem Borodulin, for Angelina Sotnikova and Artem Grigoriev - they all are skating in TSKA under Elena Vodorezova. Grigoriev moved to TSKA only this year- he used to skate under Viktor Kudriavtsev. Elena herself had to leave several times over the summer and I worked with her skaters in Moscow. Though am still sorry we couldn't figure how to get the skaters out of the city altogether during the horrible heat. Borodulin was even poisoned - the tiny room where he lives in Moscow with the other guys who are not local is too small and he got used to sleep on the balcony. He breathed too much toxins. It was really a shame he had to perform at the test skates in such a shape. Of course he couldn't show what he is capable of.

more to come....

TAHbKA
08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Mao Asada also came to me.

EV: I heard about it and was quite surprised to learn you resumed working with the Japanese skater. After the Vancouver games it seemed you wouldn't be working with her anymore.
TAT: That what I thought too. But then I received two letters from Keko - Asada's mother. And... I realized after reading those letters that it's unfair to put my ambitions above the professional life of an extremely talented skater, who needs my help. And told them they could come.
The problem is that all those programmes I choreographed - and I had to create 3 - two exhibition programmes and a short programme - I had just 3 days. I was quite nervious about those 3 days and did a huge preparation. Even Elena Vodorezova mentioned she've never seen me in such a state. I had Irina Nikolaeva, who used to be my skater to help. Spoke to her about every step which Mao would have to perform on the ice. After the programmes were choreographed Elena Kustarova worked for 2 more days with Mao. I wanted so much to work with Kustarova since I saw: she became a top coach in the last several years. So it happened that by the time Asada came to Moscow we understood in the tiniest details how will we work with her. We finished the short programme in the first day - from the first move to the last and that taking the new rules into an account. More than that, for each element we prepared 3 different entrances and just had to choose which would look better and be more comfortable. I was really satisfied with the work I've done in those 3 days.

EV: Are you sorry for had parted with that skater?
TAT: I'm not sorry about anything ever. The problem wasn't Asada. It was the fact I could not 100% dedicate myself to a skater. I have an ill mother and an ill husband. I can't afford to come to the icerink 10 times a week and to the off ice training 10 times a week. Anything less is not enough. I come to the ice rink only when I'm asked. I know I can push someone, point on someone's mistakes, choreograph a programme or a step sequence. I do it not only for the skaters but for myself as well: I want to remain in the profession for as long as I can.
Asada and her mother were very satisfied with the work done in Moscow. When they left to Japan I suggested they should find a Japanese coach.

EV: Why?
TAT: I think the Japanese skaters should learn basic skills from Japanese coaches. There language barrier exists and it's impossible to explain some details which the skater must understand. During the training sessions there are moments when the contact should be eye to an eye. The Japanese have a different point of view on alot of things, different rules. There are small details that you'll never be able to explain if you didn't grow up in the same environment. No translator can help that. Perhaps am being an old school, but that's my opinion.

more to come

TAHbKA
08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
EV: You were present at the test skates in St. Petersburg and Novogorsk. Were you satisfied with what you had seen?
TAT: I was satisfied with the fact the skates took place in two cities. That was for the first time. When it became obvious Moscow is impossible to skate in the federation decided within a moment to move the skates to St. Petersubrg. Moreover, not only the skaters, but the coaches, judges - all the most qualified people came there.
Perhaps it would be a better idea not to skate in Novogorsk at all. After all the condition in Moscow did not allow the skaters to show their best.
As for what I've seen - I really liked the new pair Katarina Gerboldt/Alexandr Enbert, which was created by Tamara Moskvina. For me it was a surprise. I have never seen Katarina so happy on the ice. I was sure, that the idea to put her in pairs is doomed to fail. That her legs wouldn't hold her on the throws. But they do! It's hard to believe how much did she and Alexandr learn in just 4 months.
Mindblowing skate was shown by Volosozhar/Trankov. Even now it's unbelievable. It've been a long time since someone skater like that

EV: Explain
TAT: I haven't seen such speed, power in each element. Such difficulty in moves and transitions, such an understanding of the music for a very long time.

EV: What about Yuko Kavaguti and Alexandr Smirnov, who we learned just a couple of days ago decided not to participate the Grand Prix?
TAT: Yuko's rehabilitation goes really well, which is an achievement of it's own. After all both the injury and the surgery were really hard. I know what I'm talking about - I retired because of a similar injury. I saw parts of their new programmes, think they are really good. But they shouldn't push too hard.
I was also shocked in a good way with the work Alexey Mishin done with Artur Gachinsky. They created the programmes that emphasize so well all of his good sides and hide all his faults. I was happy just having seen those programmes. Liza Tuktamysheva works well as well. Together with Adelina Sotnikova she will participate the Junior competitions this year and think they will show decent skates. Mishin also took a small boy to his group, which is a good sing.

EV: Sign of what?
TAT: Of working for the future.

EV: And what about the ice dance?
TAT: I liked the progress in Kustarova's group. I like the work her skaters had done, especially Ekaterina Bobrova with Dmitri Soloviev. And I don't like the state of Alexandr Zhulin's group at all.

EV: You mean the stars of the last season Elena Ilyinyh/Nikita Katsalapov?
TAT: Yes. I think when working with such talented skaters the coach should avoid making mistakes.

EV: And in more details?
TAT: I am not satisfied with the fact those skaters skate just once a day. It's not a training process. If their goals are high, they have to warm up for 45 minutes off the ice, then to work on the ice for 2.5-3 hours, then back off ice, then have a lunch and have a rest with a midday sleep, then back again to work with a choreographer off the ice. It's not my craziness, it's a system that worked for decades. The skater has to go through that much work and not to break down under it. Even less so can I understand a month and half summer vacation during which nothing was done.
I was told there were the circumstances on the ice, but it doesn't sound plausible. Moscow ice skating federation takes care of it's skaters. The fact some don't wont to work till late hours is a different matter. But it's where one has to compromise between the sport and the private life. At any rate, the professional highs that I expected to see from Ilinyh/Katsalapov I haven't seen.
And on the other hand the thing that happens: one of the days I was in St. Petersburg I came to the ice rink at 8am and saw there Tamara and Igor Mosvin together with their exceptional skater Artur Dmitriev. And they were not warming up, they were in the middle of the training.
Unfortunately not all the coaches and skater understand that it's the way to work and capable to work that way. During the test skates we realized that the majority of the coaches don't even understand the changes in the rules between the previous season and now. Accordingly, the work they do needs to be redone. I know in the USA the coaches are tested constantly. If a person makes 3 mistakes in the rules he is not allowed to work with the competing skaters. And it's the right way!

EV: What's going on with Jana Khokhlova and Fedor Andreev in Detroit?
TAT: I plan to visit them in the nearest future. So far I've only seen some videos. I know Marina Zueva is very enthusiastic about their work, and her point of view means alot to me. Marina is a fanatic of a coach. I know Andreev since he was a kid since I spent many years in the USA. So I can see now, this pair has a potential to become unique.

EV: I get to hear often the skaters today are not what they used to be. They can not be motivated to work enough to push all other interests. Do you agree?
TAT: They are different, it's true. But the first goal of the coaches remained the same: to make them interested. It became harder. If you want to work really hard you have to be able to. People who are willing to work till they forget who they are in order to get to their goals existed before and will exist in the future. Take Alyona Savchenko, who is still skating. She is an exceptional sportswoman. Am a fan of hers.
When I see a fantastic talent together with a fantastic will to work I can't remain distant. And the skaters know that. This is why I'll never be unemployed.

Eislauffan
08-23-2010, 04:13 PM
All could be, but i cant remember any situation, when TAT didnt support really greate skaters, even who represnt another country or didnt work with her at all. At last season I-K was her favorites and she talk about there talent all the time, in every TV show and during her work like co-commentator. What could happened from that time?

So, yes, she probably expected more from Ilinykh/Katsalapov and wasn't pleased with their progress. Or she critisizes in order to push them to work harder.

HisWeirness
08-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much for the translation, TAHbKA. Lots of great info from the :TT1: herself.

I think I better understand now what TAT is saying about Zhulin's group; she wants them to train more/differently. hmm...

Cloudy_Gumdrops
08-23-2010, 04:15 PM
If TT is unhappy with anything about I&K or their coaching/training, I think that's a good thing for I&K. :shuffle: She's lost her taste and good judgment these past few years.

I have to agree. Those programs she gave Asada last year (not to mention the costumes!) are a testament to that.

kwanfan1818
08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I know in the USA the coaches are tested constantly. If a person makes 3 mistakes in the rules he is not allowed to work with the competing skaters. And it's the right way!
I'd never heard anything like this before.

Thank you, TAHbKA, for the great translation!

Nan
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry, I just noticed the other thread.

hanca
08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I have to agree. Those programs she gave Asada last year (not to mention the costumes!) are a testament to that.

Whatever you think about the programs she created, the fact remains that she is a very, very good coach, so if she wasn't impressed with a couple who she really liked in the past, I think she knows what she is talking about and if I was I-K, I would start re-thinking.

Autumn_girl
08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Whatever you think about the programs she created, the fact remains that she is a very, very good coach, so if she wasn't impressed with a couple who she really liked in the past, I think she knows what she is talking about and if I was I-K, I would start re-thinking.

ITA. I think I/K and especially their coaches should think about what she said.

pani
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM

But she said nothing about programs - only about traning.
Today she could see what is good and what is bad - even if her programs for Asada wasnt good.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
08-23-2010, 06:37 PM

I'm sure Zhulin knows what he's doing with them. Things start to go very wrong when the Fed officials (or whatever it is that Tarasova does) start dictating too many things over the coaches. Tarasova seems to think there's only one way to train. Should Zhuliln/I&K have to change their training completely just because she doesn't like it?

pani
08-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Should Zhuliln/I&K have to change their training completely just because she doesn't like it?

No. They could work, like they want. But then i dont want hear, that Fedaration didnt want to see them at National team. Look at P-B perfomances last season - several falls in FD at ECh, at OG they couldnt made 1 lift. At WCh they skated ckean in FD with old program and had fall in OD. Maybe TAT didnt want this for I-K? All top teams work 4-5 hours per day on ice, then have off-ice traning and work on choreo. All know this, Zhulin know this.
When lasr season after Russian Nationals TAT was very angry on Linichuck and her choreo for D-Sh, Domnina-Shabalin< Shehovtsova, Linichuck didnt want listen her. And what was the next? This team took underserved bronze at OG, but they came at OG for gold....
Will see, what I-K show to us at GP.

Dragonlady
08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
It didn't matter what programs Dom/Shabs skated last year, they were not going to win. His knees are shot. He was skating with braces on his knees. You cannot compete against healthy, talented athletes who are working without restrictions when you're not 100%. They were very fortunate indeed to get that bronze medal.

Yes their programs were craptastic, and Tarasova wasn't the only one to tell Linichuk as much, but no matter what she put together for them, it wasn't going to get any better.