PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love - news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Kasey
06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Good choice, I hope. Hopefully will be a decent and fair voice, both to and for the athletes.

ivagall
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Good choice, I think if he really will be appointed.

senorita
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
The Russian Figure Skating Federation is to appoint former champion Anton Sikharulidze as its head, RIA Novosti news agency reported (today) Wednesday. The election for a new federation chief is set on Friday, as the former head Valentin Piseev gave up the idea to run for another term.

Source, The People's Daily (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/7010143.html)

The other candidates are also Tikhonov, Grischuk and Ovehinikov but the whole official list will be out on Friday, the day of elections.
I would love to be Anton, he has done amazing work in his political post the last years and I think he is really capable.

Ziggy
06-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Sikharulidze definitely isn't a good choice IMO, with the total contempt he has for CoP. I hope Tikhonov gets it.

Pratfall
06-03-2010, 04:12 AM
:) We're often in disagreement , Ziggy, but ITA with you here. I think Tikhonov would come with a lot of goodwill at home and abroad. And he has a pretty complete understanding of some of the things in the system that may need changing...( being traded for a bus..):lol:

SUN
06-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Sikharulidze definitely isn't a good choice IMO, with the total contempt he has for CoP. I hope Tikhonov gets it.

Not just not good choice but awful choice! Arrogant, no knowledge...

Actually IMO none of the mentioned skaters are good choive. Tikhonov is a nice person, but this not what is not the only thing needed to be a President.

International matters are only 20-30 % of the President's activity.
The person needs to know how the system works, how the clubs, rinks are functioning (in Russia they are not still private and belong to local authorities).

caseyedwards
06-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Sikharulidze would be interesting because the behind the scenes shenanigans that led to his Gold caused COP. I feel a COP dictator President would cause all the programs to be structured all the same like has happened in most countries US and Canada for two examples. I mean like all the men and all the ladies all have identically structured programs!! But of course they are lots more successful in Russia in many ways now. But what about freedom of program construction?? Maybe he could do that but fight the way COP makes all skates basically the same. Like for mens Three jumping passes a spin and step before the halfway point -five jumping passes two spins and a step after the halfway point. And all programs must be designed around this layout or watch out or your scores are lower! That should be fought.

Asli
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
caseyedwards, I agree with your point about CoP making most programmes look the same, but the element layout in the programmes is completely out of the domain of the president of the federation.

senorita
06-03-2010, 02:05 PM
International matters are only 20-30 % of the President's activity.
The person needs to know how the system works, how the clubs, rinks are functioning (in Russia they are not still private and belong to local authorities).

Anton has been elected in politics the last years and unlike other celebrities that have political carrier as well as anything else he has abandoned shows and all other occupations etc and has only been working in the administrative area for the sports and figure skating (cant explain well in english). So I believe he knows how system works. It is said that he has done a very good job there and that is why he is the most probable candidate, not because of his past experience as a skater.

but the element layout in the programmes is completely out of the domain of the president of the federation.

Piseev was going to the Yubileney and was giving recommendatons to Mishin about plush programs and sq levels etc until the europeans!I saw europeans because I remember the last interbiw after tallin where he was talking about the marks and levels he had got and what to change for olympics.

vivika1982
06-03-2010, 04:57 PM
B/S were one of my favorite Pair teams but while i admire Anton as skater i don't think he is the best choice.I wouldn't be so harsh on him and call him arrogant but lets say he has some attitude issues and i doubt that will help his diplomatic skills.Tikhonov is too soft and nice for a leading position but if it comes to choose between him and Sikharulidze, he might be the better choice. :P Although my secret personal vote is for Oksana ,no one can beat the Diva, when she sings "Happy Birthday Mr.President".

kirkbiggestfan
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't want to sound condescending, but has any of them obtained a college degree or pursued an education? I know you can learn admin functions on the job and that real life skating experience are just as important, but still. I don't think that any of them has been a successful coach either.
People often say that Paul Willie would be a great president because he has the skating and brilliant education experience.

Eislauffan
06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't want to sound condescending, but has any of them obtained a college degree or pursued an education? I know you can learn admin functions on the job and that real life skating experience are just as important, but still. I don't think that any of them has been a successful coach either.
People often say that Paul Willie would be a great president because he has the skating and brilliant education experience.

I think you are referring to Paul Wylie in your post. I think that today hardly any top skater will be able to study at Harvard and compete at the World level. And I think even Paul Wylie graduated only after his competiitive career, but I'm not sure about that.
Anyway, in Russia most athletes do attend a sports university and get a diploma. They do have to pass exams and write a thesis. Anton Sikhuralidze and Alexei Tikhonov never have worked as coaches, so we don't know if they would have been successful in this field. After skating in shows, Sikhuralidze went into politics and Tikhonov is still doing shows (and some acting on the side, IIRC).

DORISPULASKI
06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I think you are referring to Paul Wylie in your post. I think that today hardly any top skater will be able to study at Harvard and compete at the World level. And I think even Paul Wylie graduated only after his competiitive career, but I'm not sure about that. ).

You're both right and wrong. Wylie had his biggest success at the Olympics in 1992, the year after he graduated from Harvard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wylie#Education

However, then he went on and got an MBA from Harvard Business, which he finished in 2000.

His best success was when he was not going to school.

SwingDancer
06-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Has Jana left for Michigan yet, or have there been any updates from the Russian Media?

I think Anton will be a good president, what is his opinon of the new couple Khokolova and Andreev?

caseyedwards
06-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I am sure Anton's first press conference will be loaded with lots of good questions about everything.