PDA

View Full Version : Some Quitting Facebook as Privacy Concerns Escalate

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

*Jen*
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
They *might* be finally listening:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100524/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2204

Or not. I posted after I had read that. Zuckerberg is still sticking with his "open and connected world" ideology and the proposed changes he outlined still don't quite cover what worries people.

We'll see. Good to see they are taking some steps though.

Prancer
05-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Is Zuckertwit nuts? .

You might enjoy this article (http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10007894/facebooks-biggest-problem-mark-zuckerberg-is-a-kidiot/) and the rant therein linked.

*Jen*
05-28-2010, 08:56 PM
So the new privacy settings have hit my account. I have no clue how they work. Guess they failed with the "simplified" thing :shuffle:

IceAlisa
05-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Is Zuckertwit nuts? On what planet is a "world that is more open and connected" "a better world"?

On what planet? How many users does Facebook have around the world or on this planet? I know he's made mistakes and if Prancer's article has it right, is arrogant but how many multibillion companies have you started while in college?

I don't like the privacy problems that Facebook is having. But calling Zuckerberg
an idiot is taking it far. Do you expect him or anyone to be perfect, especially at the ripe old age of 26?

I'd say he is a visionary almost on par with the likes of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

hydro
05-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd say he is a visionary almost on par with the likes of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Based on what? On making billions of dollars in advertising? Facebook is user generated, if the users leave to another site, it will cease to exist. Facebook has no product or revenue stream other than advertising. I wouldn't call that a visionary, but a smart opportunist. I would never put him in the same league as Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. That comparison is absurd, IMO.

IceAlisa
05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Based on coming up with the original idea. Social networking online is taking over email, used by businesses and private individuals alike. It has really changed the way we communicate.

I think Zuckerberg is realizing his mistake and appears to be taking steps to remedy the situation.

hydro
05-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Based on coming up with the original idea. Social networking online is taking over email, used by businesses and private individuals alike. It has really changed the way we communicate.

I think Zuckerberg is realizing his mistake and appears to be taking steps to remedy the situation.

Facebook wasn't an original idea. Nor does it produce anything. There are many alternatives that preceeded it. However, Facebook was smart to pursue college students and collect their information and "socialize" it. But Facebook was hardly the first.

I think to call someone a visionary is a really strong statement, and I really can't see any justification to use it with Zuckerberg. He's really smart, and certainly produced a great money-making product, but a visionary he is not.

IceAlisa
05-29-2010, 03:02 AM
Facebook wasn't an original idea. Nor does it produce anything. There are many alternatives that preceeded it. However, Facebook was smart to pursue college students and collect their information and "socialize" it. But Facebook was hardly the first. What was the equivalent of Facebook prior to Facebook? And why was it FB that took off unlike the others? Also, FB produces an entirely new mode of communication. That IS a product or a service. And finally, neither Jobs nor Gates invented computers.

I think to call someone a visionary is a really strong statement, and I really can't see any justification to use it with Zuckerberg. He's really smart, and certainly produced a great money-making product, but a visionary he is not.

Like I said, he's changed the way we communicate. That's a pretty major impact on our lives. But you certainly don't have to think so.

PrincessLeppard
05-29-2010, 03:41 AM
What was the equivalent of Facebook prior to Facebook? And why was it FB that took off unlike the others?

Myspace?

I like Facebook better because my friends can't customize their pages with a purple background and lime green font.

IceAlisa
05-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Myspace? Sure, but where is MySpace now?

I like Facebook better because my friends can't customize their pages with a purple background and lime green font.

Same here. MySpace makes my eyes hurt.

*Jen*
05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
On what planet? How many users does Facebook have around the world or on this planet? I know he's made mistakes and if Prancer's article has it right, is arrogant but how many multibillion companies have you started while in college?

I don't like the privacy problems that Facebook is having. But calling Zuckerberg
an idiot is taking it far. Do you expect him or anyone to be perfect, especially at the ripe old age of 26?

I called him nuts, not an idiot. At least not in the part you quoted :shuffle:

He's an entrepreneur, but he's only where he is through a little luck. I think he sees himself as a visionary, but has a bit of a hubris complex. He's no way on par with Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

Did either of those two men have to fork out an undisclosed 7 figure sum to the man claiming that he invented facebook and Zuckerberg stole the idea? If there wasn't some truth in it, there wouldn't have been any settlement.

Also, I don't think his blatant disregard for privacy makes him particularly visionary either. Voyeuristic yes, visionary no.

Having a multi-billion dollar company which you started in college doesn't make anyone great. But I am 25, so perhaps I'm in a better position than you to judge what my peers should and shouldn't know at this age, and I personally think he should know better.

Either way, the change bit him in the butt and he's backtracking, or at least trying to show that he is. Whether or not he actually addresses the privacy concerns will be more telling of his ability than his 'invention' of facebook.

IceAlisa
05-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I think his disregard for privacy is a misguided business decision. You did call him Zuckerwit or some such, didn't you?

And I don't see what being 25 has to do with a particular insight of what people that age, specifically Zuckerberg should or should not know. Please explain.

If there wasn't some truth in it, there wouldn't have been any settlement.
What is your experience with settlement cases? Sometimes but obviously not always it is a business decision that would actually mean that the settlement would be cheaper than going through the process of a trial.

You seem to be making a lot of absolute statements: I am 25 and I know better than you, there was a settlement therefore Zuckerberg is guilty, without backing them up.

Prancer
05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Sure, but where is MySpace now?

Right where it was before, and still with 113 million users.

And before MySpace, there was Friendster, which still has 115 million.

Neither are as big as Facebook, but you asked what equivalent came before. So you can say Facebook is the biggest, but certainly not the original, and so I'm not sure how it changed the way we communicate. Maybe more people use Facebook to communicate in this way. But if you're going to make the point that Gates and Jobs didn't invent computers, then it seems only fair to point out that Zuckerberg didn't invent social networking, either.

IceAlisa
05-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I never said FB was the original. My point was that none of the antecedents were as successful.

As to the changing the way we communicate: businesses now use FB to advertise and keep in touch with costumers, people share their pictures and news with a circle of FB friends vs. doing a mass email with attachments. You can share, chat and have conversations with a lot of people ALL IN ONE PLACE. And you can meet new people through your friends.

I am not saying Zuckerberg invented any of the social networking or FB-like mode of communication. He invented the most successful one.

Right where it was before, and still with 113 million users.

And before MySpace, there was Friendster, which still has 115 million. You put it in an interesting way: still has this many users which implies lack of growth.

hydro
05-29-2010, 11:24 PM

I never said FB was the original. My point was that none of the antecedents were as successful.

?

If Zuckerberg did not come up with an original idea with social networking, then how can you call him a visionary? Your definition of a visionary is to put everything "in one place"? And because he did that, he is comparable to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who transformed entire industries (not just technology, but design, automotive, movies, engineering, etc).

Facebook is a good communication tool, but it is not original. And it is not revolutionary in the way a telephone, email, SMS, the Internet, or television is.

Social networking is a tech buzz word...people have been social networking for eons. Yesterday it was RSS, today it is Facebook, tomorrow it is Twitter, and so on. These are tools to help communicate and market, but they are in no way revolutionary like the personal PC (Jobs) or Windows/DOS platform (Gates).