PDA

View Full Version : Some Quitting Facebook as Privacy Concerns Escalate

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

Prancer
05-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I can't get the testing site to show?I am assuming that there's only "good" and "bad"?

No, there's good, bad and caution, with links to where you might need to adjust settings.

Another awesome tool to check and fix your FB privacy settings. :)
http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/facebook

That's actually the same one :shuffle:

Thanks for the privacy scan, Prancer. I had thought I was still all closed off, but alas, parts of my profile were open to everyone.

Some of my stuff is open, too, but I left it that way. I want people to be able to search for me, and I want them to be able to send me Friend requests. I don't see much point in Facebook otherwise, but that's me.

Openbook is hilarious. I put in the name of the college I officially work for, the organization I really work for and the name of my teaching center, and :eek:. I didn't come across any of my students, amazingly enough (it's a small program; everyone knows everyone), but I did find a lot of :eek: stuff from other students I may run into one day.

A lot of people are now putting things in their status messages that will make them show up on Openbook, which creates some pretty funny things.

Satellitegirl
05-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Just thought I'd say this thread has annoyed me because my brain keeps reading Quitting as Quilting. I must have crafting on the brain or something. :lol:

Angelskates
05-18-2010, 11:19 PM
My current status didn't show up, (I am "eating cornflakes for dinner,") But it was funny how many people had "cornflakes" in their status!

Prancer, I am not searchable, but am likely going to remove that. A friend and I sat together one day trying to add each other. We both had the highest settings, knew emails etc. We had our security settings too high and had a change them just so we could add each other. Even though we knew each other's email. It was bizarre.

Really
05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
More tips on FB privacy (http://mashable.com/2010/05/18/facebook-privacy-tips/)...

Lothlorien
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Question about Spokeo... does one need to join and pay for membership to have info removed? I do not live in North America.

Name search has found one of me, who isn't me, so that's ok. However, I did a search on email addresses as well, and don't like what came up. My old university email gives my full name and age (and links to my NA alma mater, but that's kind of obvious from the email address anyway). I could live with that, but how does it know my age?
What freaked me out is that my personal email address gives a location which is just 5 km away from where I actually do live.

I have moved long distance recently and my birthday was not too long ago and what shows up is accurate... I want that info gone.

Prancer
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Question about Spokeo... does one need to join and pay for membership to have info removed? I do not live in North America.

Name search has found one of me, who isn't me, so that's ok. However, I did a search on email addresses as well, and don't like what came up. My old university email gives my full name and age (and links to my NA alma mater, but that's kind of obvious from the email address anyway). I could live with that, but how does it know my age?
What freaked me out is that my personal email address gives a location which is just 5 km away from where I actually do live.

I have moved long distance recently and my birthday was not too long ago and what shows up is accurate... I want that info gone.

You don't need to join; somewhere on the site there's an address where you can email a request to remove information. But they will only remove the profile with your name, not your email address and related info--unless things have changed since I got my profile taken down.

You can always try--but be sure to use a one-time, throwaway email address to do it.

Those of you in the US who don't like Spokeo might want to look yourself up on Zabasearch, too. http://www.zabasearch.com/

Desperado
05-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Thank you - I had searched with my name but not with my email addresses, and just saw that all three are there with a location. I don't want to pay to see the full info but I'm still creeped out by this.

Prancer
05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
The location you see on Spokeo is probably the location of your ISP hub, which may or may not be close to your house but is almost certainly in your general vicinity. If you have an email account with your ISP and it is there, then that's what you are seeing.

Openbook is hilarious. I put in the name of the college I officially work for, the organization I really work for and the name of my teaching center, and :eek:. I didn't come across any of my students, amazingly enough (it's a small program; everyone knows everyone), but I did find a lot of :eek: stuff from other students I may run into one day.

Tried again this morning with a slightly different angle and promptly found three people I actually know, all blathering away. With the first one, I thought "Wow, that woman looks just like [mother of Son's friend]" as well she should have, since it was indeed her. :lol:

*Jen*
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
The location you see on Spokeo is probably the location of your ISP hub, which may or may not be close to your house but is almost certainly in your general vicinity. If you have an email account with your IP and it is there, then that's what you are seeing.

Yes. I was freaked out too, until my father searched for my email address from a different country, so got a totally different location. Don't worry about it - it's just the location of your ISP hub, or somewhere nearby, as Prancer said.

Someone searching for you from a different place will get a different result.

Wyliefan
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
In somewhat related news (well, I think it's somewhat related), I left a comment on a news site the other day, identifying myself only with my initials, and then when published, it showed up under my LiveJournal name, with my LJ default avatar and everything. It freaked me out a little. I mean, I've never tried to hide my LJ identity from the world or anything, but when I want to just use my initials, I want to just use my initials and not have their site log me in with one of my social networking accounts! Not to mention that now whenever anyone spams that article, the spam shows up in my e-mail inbox as well. :rolleyes: Annoying much?

Andora
05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
:lol: I read a hilarious comment on another site complaining about so many mothers and other relatives being on Facebook. The conclusion was something to the tune of, "I miss Myspace. No one's mother was on Myspace!"

Myspace felt like a messy room as far as websites go, to me. Even if it was useful, I thought Facebook was infinitely better initally, easier to navigate and read.

Desperado
05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
The location you see on Spokeo is probably the location of your ISP hub, which may or may not be close to your house but is almost certainly in your general vicinity. If you have an email account with your ISP and it is there, then that's what you are seeing.

Yes. I was freaked out too, until my father searched for my email address from a different country, so got a totally different location. Don't worry about it - it's just the location of your ISP hub, or somewhere nearby, as Prancer said.

Someone searching for you from a different place will get a different result.
Got it. I feel better now, although seeing emails being publicized like this still squeaks me out.

*Jen*
05-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Got it. I feel better now, although seeing emails being publicized like this still squeaks me out.

Me too. I wish this site didn't exist.

numbers123
05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I am going to ask a stupid question, but one that has been running through my head since the whole email stuff came up. Having your email published - is that any different than say having your phone number or street address published? and why or why not?

my not - there are many ways for people to find me. my email address is just one of them.

Angelskates
05-20-2010, 10:35 AM
numbers, I agree. Emails can be ignored and deleted, I would much rather someone have my email address than my home or work address, or my telephone number.