PDA

View Full Version : Some Quitting Facebook as Privacy Concerns Escalate

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

algonquin
05-17-2010, 02:45 AM
My SiL posts very personal things on her FB wall. Then they appear in the news feeds of about 400 people in town. Then she gets dreadfully upset that "everyone always knows (her) business".

I think some people just don't entirely comprehend that posting something on a Facebook wall means people can read it.I really think that that is the case for some people.

Really
05-17-2010, 04:43 AM
You can hide your 'interests' now. I just went through my privacy settings again earlier this evening, and discovered I could now limit interests and hometown to just friends.

numbers123
05-17-2010, 04:56 AM
my cousin posted this on her status, although I think that it is inaccurate

There's a site called spokeo.com and it's an online phone book that has pictures that you have posted on facebook, home phone number, credit score, profession, home value, income , # of children, profession, age, Remove yourself by the Privacy button on the bottom right on their website. SHARE THIS!!! CUT, PASTE AND REPOST.

However, when I searched for my name, the information that is listed is inaccurate and could not have been gotten from my facebook page for several reasons. It probably could have been obtained from census records and some generalizations made from age/gender, etc.

Prancer
05-17-2010, 05:09 AM
my cousin posted this on her status, although I think that it is inaccurate.

However, when I searched for my name, the information that is listed is inaccurate and could not have been gotten from my facebook page for several reasons. It probably could have been obtained from census records and some generalizations made from age/gender, etc.

A warning about Spokeo--if you want them to remove your record, they will. But before you ask, register a completely new dummy email account and use that, because they post your email address and will not delete it. If you use an existing email address, they use that to search the internet and come up with other connections. You can't get any of that removed, either.

I can tell from what's there that they use a lot of info from things like magazine subscriptions and surveys, as well as sources like phone books and the census. They had me listed as a machinist living in poverty in a house worth two million dollars :lol:, which sounds like the sort of thing my husband puts on survey forms.

I still had the record removed because they had pictures of my house linked there. You have to pay to get things like addresses and credit ratings from profiles. They do have Facebook profile pictures there, because they had one of my daughter up before I had it removed, although they didn't have mine.

tarotx
05-17-2010, 05:25 AM
That site thinks I live in the house I haven't lived in since 2002-where I lived with my mom before she died. The site seems to take info from everywhere and allow access to whomever will pay. They do not have my Facebook pictures. Just my picture I use on my Yahoo email.

Aussie Willy
05-17-2010, 05:38 AM
I gave up on Facebook ages ago. As skating is my main circle, and particularly as a skating judge, I don't want every child at the rink to join me up as a friend. And the skating world is so gossipy, I don't care to know what is going on with others or for everyone to know what I am doing. Plus there are certain people I just don't want much to do with unless I absolutely have to. I would much rather keep my distance.

If I have to waste time on the internet, people here on FSU are much more fun and interesting. :)

vesperholly
05-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Spokeo could not find me. :HA!:

Angelskates
05-17-2010, 05:56 AM

:lol: It found 110 of me. All of them in the US, so none actually me.

My email search found lots of stuff, all very old and not all mine. It didn't find my facebook page :HA!:

*Jen*
05-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Nor me, but found my email address :scream: It also claims to have found a blog, which isn't possible because I've never had one, several social networking sites (but I'm only on facebook), has validated my email address and has my country right...but not my city. I'm :confused: as to how they got even that much.

Is that site legal? It's far more :eek: to me than facebook!

stanhope
05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Nor me, but found my email address :scream: It also claims to have found a blog, which isn't possible because I've never had one, several social networking sites (but I'm only on facebook), has validated my email address and has my country right...but not my city. I'm :confused: as to how they got even that much.

Is that site legal? It's far more :eek: to me than facebook!

They have my email addresses as well. As an above post said, if I have to create a dummy email to ask them to remove my name (which is not found when I type that in), how can I get them to remove the email addresses I actually use?

Ziggy
05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I do think Facebook has privacy issues, but it's up to people to learn how to use the privacy settings and be responsible using Facebook. I'm always amazed at what people share and post on Facebook and how they leave everything open for anyone to see. I have all my privacy settings set to the highest level, you can't search for me on Facebook, or have my Facebook profile be shown in search engines. I don't add a zillion games or apps that share all my information. I use it as responsibly as it allows me to.

It's still going to share your info with a huge number of companies that pay them. :P

I am praying the open source alternative that is currently developed is going to take off.

Prancer
05-17-2010, 09:00 PM
They have my email addresses as well. As an above post said, if I have to create a dummy email to ask them to remove my name (which is not found when I type that in), how can I get them to remove the email addresses I actually use?

They do not remove email addresses, period. They refuse. What they will do, however, is mark any email address from which they receive mail as CONFIRMED. I think that is actually one of their prime money makers--that they can sell spammers confirmed email addresses, often attached to complete, if not entirely accurate, profiles.

zhenya271
05-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I closed my FB account eight months ago after being on for two years. I never used third party apps because I didn't want to share my info with total unknowns, add high privacy settings and a very small picture of myself that no one could recognize.

However, he straw that broke it for me was when I realized that they kept all the email addresses in my Outlook contacts list after I did a search for friends through my contacts when I first opened the account.

I found out because I got a "so and so" is now on FB, do you want to friend him? He was an out of town friend and we had no FB friends in common so it took me a while to figure out how they linked us together.

I realized then that I had offered them addresses of people that might never have wanted FB to "own" their information. And they kept it for TWO YEARS in their database, they could keep it forever and we would never know what they did with it.

I had also heard that the copyright of any picture you post automatically reverts to Facebook and I didn't appreciate this at all either.

I offered up my email information when I first opened my FB account and I noticed I was getting add as friend suggestions from people that I recognized but weren't yet mutual friends of other current FB friends. The only way I figured FB was getting the email addresses was from my actual emails. Mass emails have lots of mutual acquaintances.

I just happened to notice one acquaintance in particular because I thought one friend had decided she was not going to have anything to do with this one person and then here she was FB friends but then I saw this person was new to FB and didn't even have any friends yet, so I wondered why I was getting the suggestion.

I don't mess around with cocktail, Jane Austen, or purse applications anymore.:(

Andora
05-18-2010, 01:32 AM
I never let Facebook have my email contact list. But my old landlord did, I'm guessing, because they were one of the friend suggestions I had one day. Completely freaked me out until someone reminded me of teh contact list option.

Quintuple
05-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Because of the recent articles and this thread, but really because I should never have signed up in the first place, I've at least deleted all photos of myself just today. My privacy has always been up the wazoo, and I've actually never offered up my real name, birthday, phone number, address, etc. I do regret, however, searching for possible contacts by entering my email address and friggin' password. Of COURSE they'll totally store it and eventually someone will hack into it! Ugh! I should go change all my passwords now anyway.