PDA

View Full Version : Some Quitting Facebook as Privacy Concerns Escalate

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

Ziggy
06-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Possibly as a result to this controversy, I noticed today that Facebook introduced new privacy settings.

numbers123
06-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Possibly as a result to this controversy, I noticed today that Facebook introduced new privacy settings.

make sure that yours are set the way you had them before. I had to change one of mine because it reverted back to a "everyone" open search vs. the only me setting I had before the new changes today.

Really
06-02-2010, 02:17 AM
The new settings were announced last week and will be rolled out to all users over the period of a couple weeks. And yes, it's a good idea to go in periodically and check your settings.

El Rey
06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I got the new settings. And of course I think they're more confusing now. But I'm able to figure them out. I don't like how they recommend what they think you're privacy settings should be. Someone who isn't as aware of privacy might be inclined to just listen to them. I'm guilty of doing this when downloading programs etc.

If they would just add back the option of not allowing people to friend you and let me hide my activity, I would be 100 percent happy. Sometimes I spend too much time on Facebook and would rather not have everyone know every thing I comment on.

Oh and please check all your privacy settings. On the new message announcing the changes it said all my settings had stayed the same. Well, I checked and it had me sharing my information with Yelp. I had disabled that when I did that privacy scan that was posted here, but it was activated again. I don't understand how they even know I'm on Yelp. I use a different email address.

NancyNC
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Fortunately all of mine stayed the same, but I think it's worth checking periodically just to make sure nothing changes...

Really
06-03-2010, 03:48 AM
I got the new settings. And of course I think they're more confusing now. But I'm able to figure them out. I don't like how they recommend what they think you're privacy settings should be. Someone who isn't as aware of privacy might be inclined to just listen to them. I'm guilty of doing this when downloading programs etc.

If they would just add back the option of not allowing people to friend you and let me hide my activity, I would be 100 percent happy. Sometimes I spend too much time on Facebook and would rather not have everyone know every thing I comment on.

Oh and please check all your privacy settings. On the new message announcing the changes it said all my settings had stayed the same. Well, I checked and it had me sharing my information with Yelp. I had disabled that when I did that privacy scan that was posted here, but it was activated again. I don't understand how they even know I'm on Yelp. I use a different email address.

I delete all my activity on my wall. You *can* limit what your friends see even more (there is an "only me" option), but then for certain things, that's an all or nothing option. Everyone has to decide how much they want to share or not, and then live with those choices.

Or not be on Facebook.

IceAlisa
06-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Here's an article about Zuckerberg sweating bullets at a conference: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/06/03/urnidgns852573C40069388000257737006E6D35.DTL&tsp=1

Reuven
06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
'Graph from the article:

"Zuckerberg doesn't seem to be helping Facebook with his latest statements concerning privacy," added Olds. "While some of the recent Facebook changes have helped users find and better control their data, Facebook's default settings tend to give users less, rather than more, privacy. When asked about this, he didn't directly address the policy. I took his answer to mean that he thinks the Facebook model works best when people share more. While this is certainly true for Facebook, it ain't necessarily the case for users who want to keep their private data, well, private."Yarite, works best for Zukerberg's wallet. :rolleyes:

Ziggy
06-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Sorry if this was posted already but I got addicted to Openbook:

http://youropenbook.org

My favourite search is 'not racist but'

http://youropenbook.org/?q=not%20racist%20but

I am not a racist but i just dnt like BLACK PPL i ent homaphobic but i just cnt stand QUEERS but i love my gorgeous adopted ginger son -Ben Eazii Cunnington XXXXXXX DATS MY B RYT DER STILL!!!!

:shuffle: