PDA

View Full Version : Some Quitting Facebook as Privacy Concerns Escalate

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

IceAlisa
05-29-2010, 11:43 PM
I think comparing RSS to Facebook is ridiculous. Also, Jobs did not come up with a personal computer. He perfected an already existing idea. Just like Zuckerberg.

Facebook is different from other networking sites as well as much more successful and in that is original. It's like saying there is nothing special about the iPhone because someone else invented the telephone, cell phone, touch screen and so on.

Angelskates
05-29-2010, 11:52 PM
He's an entrepreneur, but he's only where he is through a little luck.

All entrepreneurs get or got where they are with a little luck. Including Gates and Jobs.

Did either of those two men have to fork out an undisclosed 7 figure sum to the man claiming that he invented facebook and Zuckerberg stole the idea? If there wasn't some truth in it, there wouldn't have been any settlement.

What a ridiculous argument. Plenty of settlements are made based on lies. Sometimes it's better than going through a trial, sometimes it's not worth the bad press.

But I am 25, so perhaps I'm in a better position than you to judge what my peers should and shouldn't know at this age, and I personally think he should know better.

:confused: What does this mean? Do you think that the only people using FB are in your age bracket?

Whether or not he actually addresses the privacy concerns will be more telling of his ability than his 'invention' of facebook.

Whether or not people close their FB accounts will be more telling. With all the press, it makes it sounds like doomsday, but I don't know of anyone who has actually closed their accounts, and the number of FB users is still increasing.

FB combined some old ideas together (MySpace, chat) to create something new. I don't think I'd call it visionary, but I never used MySpace, and I love FB - I've always had my privacy settings up high, and I've never had a problem. I see nothing wrong with lower privacy settings either, I think people should be responsible for themselves. If you don't want it out there, send it via message or email or don't post it on the 'net. All this talk about the privacy settings is a bit silly IMO, the privacy changes were and are available for anyone to check, don't like them, close your account or change them. Not too sure about them? Better to be safe than sorry, and close your account or put your setting high. I really don't think the privacy concerns had many people leave FB at all, not percentage of users wise.

hydro
05-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I think comparing RSS to Facebook is ridiculous. Also, Jobs did not come up with a personal computer. He perfected an already existing idea. Just like Zuckerberg.

Facebook is different from other networking sites as well as much more successful and in that is original. It's like saying there is nothing special about the iPhone because someone else invented the telephone, cell phone, touch screen and so on.

Sorry, that is a completely ridiculous argument. And you did say he created an original idea, then back-tracked on it (you didn't really address that again, huh?)

Based on coming up with the original idea. Social networking online is taking over email, used by businesses and private individuals alike. It has really changed the way we communicate.

I never said FB was the original. My point was that none of the antecedents were as successful.

And Steve Jobs didn't invent the personal computer?

In 1976, in what is now the Silicon Valley, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak created a homemade microprocessor computer board called Apple I. Working from Jobs’ parents’ garage, the two men began to manufacture and market the Apple I to local hobbyists and electronics enthusiasts. Early in 1977, Jobs and Wozniak founded Apple Computer, Inc., and in April of that year introduced the Apple II, the world’s first personal computer. Based on a board of their design, the Apple II, complete with keyboard and color graphics capability, retailed for $1290.

DaveRocks
05-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Counting the seconds for IceAlisa's reply... :lol:

DaveRocks
05-30-2010, 12:10 AM
That spokeo site is ridiculously wrong! It says that: I'm in my late 30s... um, no ... I'm African American... um, no... I live in a "below average neighborhood", um, no... The list goes on and on... What a STUPID site!

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Sorry, that is a completely ridiculous argument. And you did say he created an original idea, then back-tracked on it (you didn't really address that again, huh?)
Yes, FB as it is in its present format and in its difference from other networking sites IS an original idea. Just like the iPhone in its present form and its differences from other smartphones is an original idea.

And Steve Jobs didn't invent the personal computer?

http://www.ehow.com/about_4586508_who-invented-pc.html
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071103110928AAidiOB

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/1994/2/1994_2_64.shtml

*Jen*
05-30-2010, 01:15 PM
I think his disregard for privacy is a misguided business decision. You did call him Zuckerwit or some such, didn't you?

And I don't see what being 25 has to do with a particular insight of what people that age, specifically Zuckerberg should or should not know. Please explain.

What is your experience with settlement cases? Sometimes but obviously not always it is a business decision that would actually mean that the settlement would be cheaper than going through the process of a trial.

You seem to be making a lot of absolute statements: I am 25 and I know better than you, there was a settlement therefore Zuckerberg is guilty, without backing them up.

I did not say I knew better than you. I called bullshit on your statement that he's 26 and doing pretty well for a 26 year old. Well no. Most 26 year olds don't have such a blatant disregard for privacy as he does. This is the guy who called users stupid ****s for giving him that sort of info...and we're supposed to trust him with it? He's old enough to know that people expect a certain amount of respect in terms of their privacy, but he doesn't seem to care.

As for my experience with settlement cases, granted I'm not a lawyer but I didn't sit through a year of tort law for nothing. The whole law school and LLM thing also helps. I don't know everything, but I'm not an idiot and I do know a fair amount about settlements.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the plaintif, a recent grad with a pile of student debt and no highly paid facebook job, would have the funds to do any serious damage. There's no way that the trial would have cost millions, which is reportedly what he got.

Settlements are business decisions - but often ones that save face and reputation, not just money. Maybe Zuckerberg was the sole founder. Or maybe he used someone else's idea. Either way, he's a smart businessman - but I wouldn't put him up there with Jobs or Gates. How he deals with all the criticism could be make or break for him, but I somehow don't see facebook having the same sort of long term impact as Apple or Microsoft.

And what do you care, anyway? Do you work for facebook? Are you Zuckerberg's seckret mistress?

WindSpirit
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I am not saying Zuckerberg invented any of the social networking or FB-like mode of communication. He invented the most successful one. No. He invented one is the most successful right now. There were others before it (I still remember when MySpace was the most successful) and there will be others after it. It's just a matter of time.

Having said that, I don't really understand what this whole conversation is about. You say, Facebook rah rah, it was first in this. People reply, no it wasn't. You say, yeah, what was before it? People list things. You say, oh I didn't mean it like that, I meant it like this. You modify it slightly and around again it goes. Is there any purpose to this beside just arguing for the sake of it? Because that's how it looks like from aside.

So you think Facebook is da shit, some people don't. Can we stop now?

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 06:28 PM
I did not say I knew better than you. I called bullshit on your statement that he's 26 and doing pretty well for a 26 year old. Well no. Most 26 year olds don't have such a blatant disregard for privacy as he does.

They don't? Have you talked to all of them? I don't understand what his and your age have to do with it.

This is the guy who called users stupid ****s for giving him that sort of info...and we're supposed to trust him with it? He's old enough to know that people expect a certain amount of respect in terms of their privacy, but he doesn't seem to care. So he is an ass. That's beside the point. You can be an innovator and an ass at the same time.

As for my experience with settlement cases, granted I'm not a lawyer but I didn't sit through a year of tort law for nothing. The whole law school and LLM thing also helps. I don't know everything, but I'm not an idiot and I do know a fair amount about settlements.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the plaintif, a recent grad with a pile of student debt and no highly paid facebook job, would have the funds to do any serious damage. There's no way that the trial would have cost millions, which is reportedly what he got.

Settlements are business decisions - but often ones that save face and reputation, not just money. Maybe Zuckerberg was the sole founder. Or maybe he used someone else's idea. Either way, he's a smart businessman - but I wouldn't put him up there with Jobs or Gates. How he deals with all the criticism could be make or break for him, but I somehow don't see facebook having the same sort of long term impact as Apple or Microsoft. Exactly, this may have been a business decision thinking that a lengthy trial would cost more in money and reputation, regardless of the truth. Also, the plaintiff's attorney would have taken a percentage of the settlement and not necessarily taken a large retainer.

And what do you care, anyway? Do you work for facebook? Are you Zuckerberg's seckret mistress?
And what do you care? Did Zuckerberg dump you for someone else? ;)

And WS, I think FB is simply better than others. And while Zuckerberg may be an arrogant ass, he is also highly accomplished, more so than a lot of people his age and older. As to arguing for the sake of it, have you looked around FSU?

*Jen*
05-30-2010, 06:34 PM
And what do you care? Did Zuckerberg dump you for someone else? ;)

No. I don't like men with big egos, regardless of whether or not they're warranted :P

What he did do, however, is reset ALL my privacy settings , defaulting most of them to "everyone", in his great privacy overhaul now that he's SO concerned with it. Having my tagged photos changed from "just me" to "everyone" pisses me off.

So - here we go again. You should all run the privacy scan again if you've had the notification about changes to privacy :wall:

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, I absolutely agree that the whole privacy thing stinks. It's a pain in the ass and it forced me to delete all my interests lest they all be linked and displayed my otherwise private profile.

It pissed me off too, there is a post to that effect. And I have been posting privacy warnings on my FB news feed to help people out.

So now that FB has been threatened with users deleting accounts, Europeans contemplating legal action and other potential competitor sites popping up, they seem to be backpedalling. They've been slapped on the wrist. Lets see what they will do.

*Jen*
05-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Yes, I absolutely agree that the whole privacy thing stinks.

And my comment about him being nuts was in response to an article about the problems with the privacy thing...

Now can you see where I'm coming from?

I don't know how well he is responding yet. At the moment, I think he wants to be seen to be concerned, but as all my settings were changed...I don't know how concerned he is in reality. Hopefully he'll get serious about it with the threat of legal action.

There's been a bit of talk in Australia about legal action too. The Federal Police aren't happy with various aspects of it, and there was a girl murdered a few weeks ago by a guy who lured her out over facebook.

That is no way the fault of facebook, but I do wish there more information about the dangers of having zero privacy settings for teenagers who don't remember life before the internet.

IceAlisa
05-30-2010, 07:00 PM
And my comment about him being nuts was in response to an article about the problems with the privacy thing...

Now can you see where I'm coming from? You called him Zuckerwit which to me sounds like nitwit or a half-wit and is a whole different thing. I don't know if he is nuts but an arrogant asshole, that he is.

I don't know how well he is responding yet. At the moment, I think he wants to be seen to be concerned, but as all my settings were changed...I don't know how concerned he is in reality. Hopefully he'll get serious about it with the threat of legal action.

There's been a bit of talk in Australia about legal action too. The Federal Police aren't happy with various aspects of it, and there was a girl murdered a few weeks ago by a guy who lured her out over facebook. My settings remained the same. There was a pop up message thingy a few days ago that said privacy is now made easier (whatever that means) and that your current settings are still the same. I checked and they are.

*Jen*
05-30-2010, 07:31 PM
You called him Zuckerwit which to me sounds like nitwit or a half-wit and is a whole different thing. I don't know if he is nuts but an arrogant asshole, that he is.

No I didn't - I called him ZuckerTWIT. I think he's a twit, not a half-wit, because rather than immediately addressing the privacy concerns, he reiterated that he thinks an open and connected world is a better one, which shows that he has no real concept of the privacy concerns at all.

Reuven
05-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Time Magazine has a brilliant article (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1990582,00.html) on FB. I found it thought provoking and just re-inforces my decision not to join.
A couple of quotes:

In his keynote announcing Open Graph, Zuckerberg said, "We're building a Web where the default is social." But default settings are part of the reason Facebook is in the hot seat now. In the past, when Facebook changed its privacy controls, it tended to automatically set users' preferences to maximum exposure and then put the onus on us to go in and dial them back. In December, the company set the defaults for a lot of user information so that everyone — even non-Facebook members — could see such details as status updates and lists of friends and interests. Many of us scrambled for cover, restricting who gets to see what on our profile pages. But it's still nearly impossible to tease out how our data might be used in other places, such as Facebook applications or elsewhere on the Web.

Zuckerberg believes that most people want to share more about themselves online. He's almost paternalistic in describing the trend. "The way that people think about privacy is changing a bit," he says. "What people want isn't complete privacy. It isn't that they want secrecy. It's that they want control over what they share and what they don't.”
Unfortunately, Facebook has a shaky history of granting people that control. In November 2007, when the company tried to make its first foray into the broader Web, it rolled out Facebook Beacon, in which users were automatically signed up for a program that sent a notice to all their friends on Facebook if, say, they made a purchase on a third-party site, like movie tickets on Fandango. Initially, users couldn't opt out of the service altogether — they had to click No Thanks with each individual purchase. And, worse, investigations by security analysts found that even after users hit No Thanks, websites sent purchase details back to Facebook, which the company then deleted.