PDA

View Full Version : Preakness Stakes 2010

skipaway
05-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Well it's that time. 2 weeks after the Derby comes the Preakness Stakes from Pimlico, MD. There are 12 starters with the Derby winner, Super Saver breaking from the 8th post.

I hope all have a safe and uneventful trip...I'm speaking to you...Lookin at Lucky. LAL has a new jockey in Martin Garcia. Baffert earlier in the week took Gomez off LAL and said there'd been too much bad luck and he wanted it to change. Gomez is on Dublin for Lukas.

Glad to see Edgar Prado in the race...Yawanna Twist finished a respectible
2nd place in the Illinois Derby and in the Gothem. He's seems to like the lead. Probably won't win, but glad he's got the mount.

2010 Preakness Stakes (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56983/super-saver-draws-post-8-as-5-2-favorite)

Lacey
05-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Super Saver and Calvin Borel for the win, in fact they are going for the Triple Crown later at the Belmont.

danceronice
05-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Super Saver and Calvin Borel for the win, in fact they are going for the Triple Crown later at the Belmont.

It would take a total fluke Derby winner for that NOT to be the goal. Owners are under tremendous pressure to say a Triple Crown is their goal when they have the Derby winner. Let's see Super Saver win the Preakness first. He'll break from post position 8.

Rottie
05-14-2010, 05:01 AM
I am completely ignorant of 3YOs this year. Have been buried in work. What is people's sense of how Super Saver came out of the Derby and whether he will like the slight takeback in distance?

sk8pics
05-15-2010, 05:02 PM
It would be great if Super Saver wins today and head to the Belmont with a shot at the triple crown. I'll be rooting for him!

And on the undercard, Nicanor, Barbaro's 4 year old brother, runs in a stakes on the turf today.... would be great if he were to win, but I'll settle for coming home safe on the track where Barbaro was injured.

skipaway
05-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Congrats to LAL and his connections. Very happy with the results. A very interesting race with Dublin's right hand turn out of the gate and still getting up to finish 5th. Congrats to Edgar Prado and his ride on Yawanna Twist. Didn't think he could finish so well, but managed to get up for 4th place.

LAL Wins (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57052/lookin-at-lucky-gets-redemption-in-preakness)

Video of Preakness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAHNTndARs)

Lacey
05-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Boy, I guessed wrong. Great race, good story. How much of these races is the trainer?

Rottie
05-16-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm beginning to believe that the next Triple Crown winner will be a unicorn! Trainers need to start placing virgins near the finish wire. :lol:

sk8pics
05-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Exciting race, but I was bummed that Super Saver did not win.... another year with the Triple Crown drought continuing....

Rob
05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I hope all have a safe and uneventful trip...I'm speaking to you...Lookin at Lucky. LAL has a new jockey in Martin Garcia.

Good call!

It didn't look to me Super Saver ran the kind of race Borel likes to run. Out too fast, not on the rail, etc.

danceronice
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Forget trainers. Breeders need to start breeding something other than easily-pooped sprinters and then trainers need to teach them to run more often than once a month.

Borel didn't get the rail, but he also tends to come up short of boasts at tracks besides Churchill. (Like last year--he didn't know Belmont, he thought it didn't matter, and man, was he wrong. Even if she could have gone 1 1/2 miles faster than two sons of Birdstone (highly unlikely; to be honest I doubt Rachel Alexandra could win at 1 1/4) it wouldn't have mattered if he'd been on RA instead of MTB. He road the Big Sandy wrong.)

skipaway
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
MTB

Off topic, but speaking of MTB. He has a new trainer in D. Wayne Lukas.
Not sure how I feel about this as DWL has not had a lot of success with training recently. Has only had 1 Grade 1 win in 6 years and that was with a 2 year old.

sad for Woolley....
"They said they just felt it was better for the horse," said a noticeably disappointed Woolley. "It is devastating. It is hard to comprehend. After what I did with him, I felt I earned the right to keep him. It is a tough time. But I appreciated the opportunity to train him."

MTB to Lukas (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57099/derby-winner-mine-that-bird-sent-to-lukas)

sk8pics
05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Off topic, but speaking of MTB. He has a new trainer in D. Wayne Lukas.
Not sure how I feel about this as DWL has not had a lot of success with training recently. Has only had 1 Grade 1 win in 6 years and that was with a 2 year old.

sad for Woolley....

MTB to Lukas (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57099/derby-winner-mine-that-bird-sent-to-lukas)

I was sad to hear this, too. I didn't realize Lukas' record had slipped so much. I hope Mine That Bird will do well with him, and race safely. I love that little gelding.

danceronice
05-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Someone at Chronicle forums cracked, "D. Wayne is scratching his head going 'What's a four-year-old?'" In fairness to him, he did campaign Spain through age five.

And really one could see a change coming. The horse hasn't won since the Derby, and he's a gelding--if they're not going to sell him off for a few thousand bucks to be a kiddy hunter or something, he needs to be racing.