PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11 US Senior Men

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

haribobo
10-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Hmm. Was Tommy Steenberg required to compete at SA to continue the season? :eek: Wesley Campbell has been pretty much MIA this season also.

flyingsit
10-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Steenberg did not compete. He had a bad case of mono in late summer, was in the hospital for two weeks, and was unable to train for six weeks.

haribobo
10-19-2010, 01:49 AM
I know, I saw that info, but thanks. Does that mean he's out though, or was he byed to Sectionals? (was my question)

Sylvia
10-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Steenberg was required to compete at SA Regionals (6 were registered and he was one of 3 men who withdrew... ETA: the one who withdrew before the starting order was published online) in order to advance to Easterns. So unfortunately he is out for the rest of this season. :(

haribobo
10-19-2010, 02:54 AM
What a bummer for Tommy. He could have just showed up and skated in circles and qualified. He would still have had a decent shot at Sectionals, unless he's still not fully recovered...

Jenna
10-19-2010, 03:02 AM
That's true. It's too bad he didn't know of the withdrawls of the other two men before he himself pulled out. Otherwise he could've just taken the ice and qualified. I recall this happening a few years ago (with Tim LeDuc, IIRC). We were all baffled when we saw a segment score of something like 3.96 :lol:

nashvilledancer
10-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Hmm. Was Tommy Steenberg required to compete at SA to continue the season? :eek: Wesley Campbell has been pretty much MIA this season also.

Wes moved from Nashville to Boston and is training both singles and pairs. Can't wait to see how his programs have developed. His short was gorgeous this summer.

mgobluegirl
10-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Wes moved from Nashville to Boston and is training both singles and pairs.

Does he have a partner? He was still listed on IPS last time I looked at it.

Sylvia
10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I've heard that Wesley Campbell does have a partner (also new to pairs, I believe?) but they are not planning to compete this season. Campbell has competed a short program only (Liberty, Cranberry Open) but AFAIK is scheduled to compete in the Senior Men's event at Easterns.

Sylvia
10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Here's a new Richard Dornbush article (with quotes from the Dresden JGP) -- he has qualified for his third consecutive JGP Final (3rd in 2008, 4th last year) and was 11th in his senior debut at 2010 US Nationals: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/102410.shtml

jlai
10-25-2010, 04:35 AM
I know it's rather early for predictions, but what do others think the US men's field is playing out? I'm sure most will agree the title is likely contested between Rippon and Abbott. But other than the two no one has jumped out as a favorite medal contender at nationals--it could be Mroz, Armin, Miner, Messing, Dornbush, or perhaps Carriere (if he improves). It's pretty wide open at this point. I suspect it will be like 2007 nationals, with two men going for the title and one spot wide open.

My guess is whoever gets the quad down will be the one that gets the nod. Thoughts?

dinakt
10-25-2010, 05:41 AM
I know it's rather early for predictions, but what do others think the US men's field is playing out? I'm sure most will agree the title is likely contested between Rippon and Abbott. But other than the two no one has jumped out as a favorite medal contender at nationals--it could be Mroz, Armin, Miner, Messing, Dornbush, or perhaps Carriere (if he improves). It's pretty wide open at this point. I suspect it will be like 2007 nationals, with two men going for the title and one spot wide open.

My guess is whoever gets the quad down will be the one that gets the nod. Thoughts?

Please come back, Ryan Bradley? ;)

I think you are right and it is completely up in the air ( the third spot, that is). I was disappointed that Icenetwork did not put up Southwestern Regionals Senior Men, becasue I am curious about Mroz's programs. His scores were not too good- but then it's very early.

ryanbfan
10-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Do not rule out Messing for any color of medal. Messing has been attempting the quad on the JGP circuit. He has it planned for his Nationals FS along with his signature triple axel.

and I agree, PLEASE come back Ryan Bradley :'(

Theatregirl1122
10-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Do not rule out Messing for any color of medal. Messing has been attempting the quad on the JGP circuit. He has it planned for his Nationals FS along with his signature triple axel.

Is his triple axel special in some way?

ryanbfan
10-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Is his triple axel special in some way?

It's his best jump, he's been having a bit of trouble with it due to a growth spurt... but he's been somewhat better with it this season so far.