PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11 US Senior Men

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

jlai
01-31-2011, 05:16 AM
PCS isn't one score; it has five components. Theoretically one can get high scores in one but low score in another. Unfortunately it hasn't happened the way it should. People end up giving high PCS across the board because that skater is good at a few of the five categories.

e.g. Bradley should get high Choreography and interpretation but much lower transition and skating skills. Jeremy should get great choreography and transition score but much lower performance/execution. WHo knows what the scores would have been if everything is done right.

That being said, most ISU judges aren't distinguishing enough between pcs components so it's not as if USFS judges are doing sth different.

oleada
01-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Dornbush has scored quite well in the JGP for several years now. He's the current JGPF champion, so he's not exactly a non-entity. If he skates as well as he did in the JGPF & US Nationals, he'll do well for himself. IMO, the key is to skate a clean SP and be in the last two groups.

His jumps are huge, and his program suits him very well.

judgejudy27
01-31-2011, 05:55 AM
That being said, most ISU judges aren't distinguishing enough between pcs components so it's not as if USFS judges are doing sth different.

They are told not to apparently as silly as that is.

Pretty Vegas
01-31-2011, 06:04 AM
Dornbush has scored quite well in the JGP for several years now. He's the current JGPF champion, so he's not exactly a non-entity. If he skates as well as he did in the JGPF & US Nationals, he'll do well for himself. IMO, the key is to skate a clean SP and be in the last two groups.

I agree. He could really surprise. His jumps are stunning and the program is great.

ks1227
01-31-2011, 06:11 AM
I agree. He could really surprise. His jumps are stunning and the program is great.

Agreed. Dornbush has a lot more potential to do well at Worlds than Bradley IMO. (Bear in mind, I'm perfectly fine with the fact that Bradley won Nationals, given the way Abbott and Rippon performed.)

gkelly
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM

They are told not to apparently as silly as that is.

By whom?

We know Joe Inman suggested in a way that became public that judges should think about the Transitions score separate from the other ones.

Do you know of similar instructions not to separate the marks?

Sylvia
02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Post-Nationals article summarizing the men's results with quotes by Armin Mahbanoozadeh (heading to Four Continents) and coach Audrey Weisiger, plus an update on Tommy Steenberg: http://www.fcnp.com/news/8493-armin-mahbanoozadeh-heads-to-taipei-city/#

DORISPULASKI
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
The dance major and performance work with the George Mason group sounds very exciting! I hope Tommy will skate again, at least in shows, so we can see the effects of these efforts.

jlai
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, the judges' decision proves one thing: the fact that Weir got left off the team at 2009 wasn't a conspiracy. USFSA judges do that to any skater who has not done well enough at nationals, regardless of the skater's international credentials.

Sylvia
02-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Or, who knows, the final results might have been different with different judges? ;)

olympic
02-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Agreed.

Lysacek was also 19 yrs. old when he got bronze at '05 Worlds, his 1st Worlds, and was considered the no. 2 American behind Weir. I would say that Dornbush is a little better than Lysacek was in '05 [I'm not saying he medal. Chan and the 3 JPN men are way too strong, but he could conceivably be as high as 5th]

I also think the SP is critical. He needs to get in the penultimate group. His SP seems weaker than his LP, so he's got to NOT bury himself there. I see he changed his 3l to a 3f in the SP. Therefore, I think he's moving in the right direction. Would be great if he got the Quad, but maybe that's too much to hope for

Sylvia
02-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I also think the SP is critical. He [Dornbush] needs to get in the penultimate group. His SP seems weaker than his LP, so he's got to NOT bury himself there. I see he changed his 3l to a 3f in the SP. Therefore, I think he's moving in the right direction. Would be great if he got the Quad, but maybe that's too much to hope for
3Lo was the required solo jump in the Junior SP this season. Dornbush has been up-and-down with his SP in recent years and so I agree that skating a solid SP at Worlds is crucial for him.

As for the quad toe, here's a quote from his coach Tammy Gambill at Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110204&content_id=16574056&vkey=ice_news

"It wasn't ready for nationals, but he's started to land quad toes in practice," Gambill said. "Right now, he doesn't own the quad; he rents it."

olympic
02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
3Lo was the required solo jump in the Junior SP this season. Dornbush has been up-and-down with his SP in recent years and so I agree that skating a solid SP at Worlds is crucial for him.

As for the quad toe, here's a quote from his coach Tammy Gambill at Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110204&content_id=16574056&vkey=ice_news

Good quote. It sounds from the article that the Quad is coming along.

jlai
02-13-2011, 11:31 PM
WHile we are on the topic, I am wondering what Mroz will do next season. Despite the quad he keeps losing to the quadless boys at nationals.
There doesn't seem to be much joy in his skating and he probably could use a bit more passion if he wants to take his skating to another level.

centerpt1
02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Thank you for bringing up Mroz! I feel terrible for him. Didn't he get 2 GP medals this season? All that work, going where he's assigned, and all for naught. No 4CC, no Worlds.

With this new system, we're not growing and rewarding skaters who go out on thier GP assignments and do thier jobs.