PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11 US Senior Men

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19

Squibble
01-31-2011, 01:59 AM
So what, nobody would have predicted these results including you so what are you laughing at exactly. Show me where you predicted a World team of Bradley, Dornbush, and Miner. :lol: And I was sure right on Abbott being overrated and his contending days on the World level being long in past, which nearly everyone jumped on me for. Man was I ever right on that. I overrated Rippon sadly, unfortunate as he looked like he had potential but is faltering badly now.

I generally don't make predictions because figure skating right now is highly competitive and skaters in any discipline with Kwan-like consistency are few and far between. You, on the other hand, prognosticate in strident tones and brook no dissent.

Abbott beat Rippon by more than four points. If he's "overrated," what does that make Rippon?

Everyone else predicted Abbott winning and Rippon 2nd. I predicted the reverse. Neither even made the World team. Everyone else was just as wrong as I was.

Apparently, everyone except for you correctly predicted that Abbott would finish ahead of Rippon. :P

ryanbfan
01-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Considering we had Mroz on the World team in 09, and he placed 9th... I mean we really can't say at this point. Abbott placed 11th the previous Worlds, and at 09 Worlds he placed 5th. Lysacek Won (obviously).

These three people on the team have the potential to shock us and kick some major ass.

But really, who knows.

judgejudy27
01-31-2011, 02:05 AM
I generally don't make predictions because figure skating right now is highly competitive and skaters in any discipline with Kwan-like consistency are few and far between. You, on the other hand, prognosticate in strident tones and brook no dissent.

Abbott beat Rippon by more than four points. If he's "overrated," what does that make Rippon?

I didnt even talk much about Rippon. I made one wrong prediction for him to win Nationals (just like everyone else made an extremely wrong prediction for Abbott too) but I never went on and on about him, or dissed anyone who downplayed his chances or predicted him not to win. You and a few others on the other hand continued your over the top staunch pro Abbott combat to anyone who dare disagree, and whined continously about my so called lowballing of Abbott (which were mostly harmless comments that I thought he wouldnt defend his U.S title and was on the way down on the World level which of course I was right even more than imagined on both). If people didnt have such a big problem with everyone not ass kissing their favorites and suggesting their careers might not be on the upswing (as it turns out people often dont like to hear the truth which is what it turned out to be) there wouldnt be a problem.

Apparently, everyone except for you correctly predicted that Abbott would finish ahead of Rippon. :P

Rippon has lots of time to turn it around. He is young. If he doesnt, big deal, it is not like he is one of my favorites anyway. Abbott is pretty much at the end now.

haribobo
01-31-2011, 02:07 AM
I am sure it is scary for the USFSA to not have Abbott and Rippon on the team. They didnt deliver at Nationals and that is what happens, but the funny thing is the PCS of the lower tier skaters get more inflated at Nationals than even the better skaters.

The lower tier skaters get high PCS when they skate well. And then, its arguably deserved. If a lower ranked skater doesn't get a chance to shine and score well at their own Nationals, when will they be? Should PCS constantly be purely awarded based on reputation and longevity? When they skate poorly, the PCS of the lesser known skaters are cruddy. And even when they skate well, like Razzano in the SP- they still can get lower PCS marks (well his skating is dreadfully boring and unoriginal for me so I found his scores to be fair :shuffle: )

I am very glad that the US Nationals judges are openminded enough to reward high PCS for a skater like Dornbush who was just amazing today. :kickass: Once upon a time, Abbott and Rippon were the unknowns trying to prove themselves at Nationals. And they gave great performances at certain times and were thus rewarded accordingly. Neither of them had that spark in their performances today that they've had in the past. And honestly for me, much as I like Adam Rippon the person, his skating hasn't inspired me in a VERY long time. I think he needs a change.

BTW, you can't just SAY that our guys won't get good PCS at Worlds. It doesn't work that way. Mroz and Carriere got very respectable and fair PCS at their first Worlds. You can't just state things like that as facts when the event hasn't happened yet.

But anyway, you just want to dismiss the whole of FSU as KRAZY ABBOTT FANATICS with our heads up our asses. So carry on....

smarts1
01-31-2011, 02:10 AM
^ I'm just hoping we don't lose our three spots for the men.

judgejudy27
01-31-2011, 02:12 AM
What do the U.S need to do to retain 2 spots? Isnt the total they need 28? I think that is a more realistic target with the team they are sending than 3 spots.

haribobo
01-31-2011, 02:16 AM
And for what its worth, these were my Nationals men predictions as posted in the other thread. Though I was far from confident that Jeremy would pull out the win...

MEN
Jeremy ABBOTT (USA)
Richard DORNBUSH (USA)
Ryan BRADLEY (USA)
Adam RIPPON (USA)
Armin MAHBANOOZADEH (USA)
Jason BROWN (USA)
Brandon MROZ (USA)

ryanbfan
01-31-2011, 02:18 AM
And even when they skate well, like Razzano in the SP- they still can get lower PCS marks (well his skating is dreadfully boring and unoriginal for me so I found his scores to be fair :shuffle: )

I am with you. Everyone I know was :confused: at the PCS but I thought it was spot on. I saw no presentation in that program whatsoever. A lot of people I follow on twitter thought Razzano deserved higher PCS than Mroz.

judgejudy27
01-31-2011, 02:20 AM
I was also very glad Bradley won Nationals. Nobody would have predicted that but I like him alot more than either Abbott or Rippon. I hope if he retires after this season he becomes a full time member on SOI. He would be one of the best show skaters out there.

chipso1
01-31-2011, 02:22 AM
Dornbush has the same jump content as Rippon, only with better 3As. I have a feeling he'll do quite well in Tokyo. He's competitive jump-wise with most the men in the world.

judgejudy27
01-31-2011, 02:23 AM
Dornbush has the same jump content as Rippon, only with better 3As. I have a feeling he'll do quite well in Tokyo. He's competitive jump-wise with most the men in the world.

Rippon is much better in all non jump areas than Dornbush right now though. Granted Rippon has been a mess since Skate Canada so he probably wouldnt have done any better at Worlds than Dornbush who atleast is more likely to deliver to his potential right now. It just unfortunate for the U.S they dont have either Abbott or Rippon making the team skating as they were last season and even at the very start of this season.

Squibble
01-31-2011, 02:28 AM
You and a few others on the other hand continued your over the top staunch pro Abbott combat to anyone who dare disagree, and whined continously about my so called lowballing of Abbott (which were mostly harmless comments that I thought he wouldnt defend his U.S title and was on the way down on the World level which of course I was right even more than imagined on both). If people didnt have such a big problem with everyone not ass kissing their favorites and suggesting their careers might not be on the upswing (as it turns out people often dont like to hear the truth which is what it turned out to be) there wouldnt be a problem.

Have you read the posts upthread recently? There wasn't really much discussion (except from you) as to who would win at Nationals, though several people, including me, said that if Abbott skated well at Worlds, he could win or medal. That's a moot point now, unless one of the Top Three doesn't go to Worlds. I think everyone recognized (and recognizes) that Abbott is inconsistent (which would imply that he might not medal, let alone win, at Nationals, given the depth of the competition these days).

haribobo
01-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Rippon is much better in all non jump areas than Dornbush right now though.

Also false. In the short program, Dornbush scored 3.5 on his change sit spin while Rippon scored 2.96. Dornbush was 0.17 ahead on the flying camel spin. They scored just about the same on the combo spin and straight line step sequence. Also, I think Dornbush has great programs this year while Rippon is boring me to tears. And this coming from someone who absolutely LOVED Rippon a few years ago. I think it's all gotten way too serious and somber with him lately.

judgejudy27
01-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Have you read the posts upthread recently? There wasn't really much discussion (except from you) as to who would win at Nationals, though several people, including me, said that if Abbott skated well at Worlds, he could win or medal. That's a moot point now, unless one of the Top Three doesn't go to Worlds. I think everyone recognized (and recognizes) that Abbott is inconsistent (which would imply that he might not medal, let alone win, at Nationals, given the depth of the competition these days).

No the discussion upthread was everyone getting on me for saying it was pretty clear Abbott would never medal at Worlds. You and others simply couldnt stand I had that opinion and lambasted me of how dare I have the opinion his skating and scoring potential isnt up with the best in the World even on a good day anymore. :lol: It is sure looking like an accurate one now though.

chipso1
01-31-2011, 02:55 AM
Rippon is much better in all non jump areas than Dornbush right now though.

False. See below.

In the short program, Dornbush scored 3.5 on his change sit spin while Rippon scored 2.96. Dornbush was 0.17 ahead on the flying camel spin.

Dornbush is a fab spinner, and his skating skills are superb as well. He has great speed across the ice, as well as going into and coming out of his jumps.