PDA

View Full Version : Broadway recommendations?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Wyliefan
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
You can get some good deals by signing up for e-mails from Playbill.com (http://www.playbill.com). They'll give you discount codes that you can use to buy your tickets.

nypanda
05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I second this. N2N is amazing, and Alice Ripley is PHENOMENAL in the role of Diana.

Alice Ripley is out now, no? The cover is MUCH better. (but this show is pretty depressing...)

Jayar
05-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Alice Ripley is out now, no? The cover is MUCH better. (but this show is pretty depressing...)

She is still in. She does not have an understudy if I understand correctly... I believe she only has a standby. If the cover is MUCH better, then she has got to be out of this world. Alice Ripley was/is phenomenal.

nypanda
05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Jayar - really you liked her? She's a brilliant actress, but man, she sang the entire show a 1/2 step flat. Just saying. They autotuned her on the cast recording. I fear Girlfriend has belted out her pipes for good (imo).

A friend of mine plays in the pit - could have sworn he said she was out for good (happily, for him -- because of the above) - but she may have renegotiated when the extended post-Pulitzer.

Anyway -- good show either way. I just got tix to take my sister to "In the Heights" next week. Lets see if Jordin can pull this off...

Wyliefan
05-14-2010, 08:14 PM
A LOT of people liked Ripley, if you can go by the raves I've read on Broadway boards. And the Tony Award. :) I was pretty impressed with her myself. A lot of people like her standby too. They're two very talented women, from all I hear.

Jayar
05-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Jayar - really you liked her? She's a brilliant actress, but man, she sang the entire show a 1/2 step flat. Just saying. They autotuned her on the cast recording. I fear Girlfriend has belted out her pipes for good (imo).

A friend of mine plays in the pit - could have sworn he said she was out for good (happily, for him -- because of the above) - but she may have renegotiated when the extended post-Pulitzer.

Anyway -- good show either way. I just got tix to take my sister to "In the Heights" next week. Lets see if Jordin can pull this off...

She was 100% not flat when I saw her... she was phenomenal. And she is still in the cast. Aaron Tviet has left and J. Robert Spencer is in his last week of performances.

DubbalinGirl
05-15-2010, 01:04 AM
We saw Phantom, Oliver, Billy Elliot, Wicked and Hairspray last year in London, and the consensus was that Billy Elliot was the best.

I do think if you like comedy though, you should see Avenue Q.

Really? I saw Billy Elliot and Oliver there and Wicked and Phantom here, and felt BE was the worst but loved Oliver. But loved, love loved Avenue Q, you would too, especially if you grew up on the Muppets and Different Strokes!

Wyliefan
05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
I'd have given my eye teeth to have seen Rowan Atkinson play Fagin. :) But I did get the cast album, at least.

CarolineL
05-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Oliver was the hardest ticket to get, and the theatre was PACKED and about 40 degrees inside. They were giving out free bottles of water (usually they would be charging two pounds a bottle). We did see Rowan though, and he was fantastic.

Saw Avenue Q twice, and I would see it again. Totally fun.

I'm back in October hoping to see Love Never Dies with the original cast. I know the reviews are horrible but I want to see it for myself.

Wyliefan
05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
In the mood for a laugh, are you? :D

The Accordion
05-16-2010, 02:33 AM
If you want to laugh - Avenue Q all the way as long as you don't mind the more mature humour.
I have grinned from ear to ear whenever I have seen it - because of the humour and its humanity (with puppets nonetheless)
Do they still have the lottery now that it is off Bway?