PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Work In HR? Gay issue question....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Simone411
05-14-2010, 04:29 AM
A few days later, the boss calls her into the office, and she's been written up. Someone overheard her say the word "lesbian" and was offended and complained. She is now prohibited from saying the word "gay" or "lesbian" while in the workplace.

Is this discrimination? She's the only one not allowed to use those two words in the workplace. Yet the men in the place are still allowed to talk about oogling women and the like. In case it matters, this is in Colorado.

Flatfoote, it doesn't matter what state it's in. It's sexual discrimination ... treating people differently through prejudice: unfair treatment of one person or group, usually because of prejudice about race, ethnicity, age, religion, or gender.

Give your sister this link.

http://www.eeoc.gov/

sk8pics
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Unless driving is a required part of your job then there should be no requirement to test someone's driving.
However working in the safety area of where I work, we have so many incidents that come from driving. We even had someone hit a pedestrian recently. But most are people reversing back into poles.

I can't recall the exact requirements right now, maybe it's the definition of "occasional" driver that we all fit, and it's not a test per se, but rather just a checklist of things that the other person fills out. The other person has to have had the on line training before doing this. It's not really a big deal, but I also don't think it helps too much. {shrug}

Aceon6
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
A lot of companies are "testing" driving, even for folks who only drive themselves from office A to office B. It's to lower the company's liability insurance rates and to help them with their lawsuit defenses.

vesperholly
05-14-2010, 11:54 PM
The din of protests must have gotten to the bosses, because they've changed their tune and now we are to read and sign a "driving safety report" or something. :duh:

We have a good pool of people who get mileage on a daily basis, but more than half the company does not, myself included. In the nearly six years I've worked there, I've gotten mileage twice.

genevieve
05-15-2010, 12:05 AM
What do they do with employees who don't drive?

vesperholly
05-15-2010, 09:07 AM
What do they do with employees who don't drive?
I don't think there's anyone who doesn't drive to work, but undermining that assumption was going to be one of my first protests - drive to next door, then walk "to work". I'd bike but it's a 20min drive on busy roads.

:EVILLE:

screech
05-15-2010, 04:50 PM
This is why I wonder if the word "lesbian" was offensive, or if the person who reported her thought SHE was being insensitive.

"Food of Asian origin"? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What if it WAS Chinese? How about Chinese-American? If they ordered sushi could they call it Japanese? What if it was Japanese sushi made at a Chinese restaurant owned by Koreans?

Yeah, if I ask people if they want food of Asian origin, how would they know whether to order wonton soup, or sushi, or pad Thai?

Anyone else remember a few years ago when some people wanted French Fries to be called Freedom Fries?

Or also, a few years ago there was a city in the US, I can't remember what one, that hated the word 'hello' because of 'hell' so was trying to change it to 'heaven-o'.

And someone finding the word 'lesbian' offensive. What if I found the word 'copier' offensive? Would everyone in the office have to refer to it as 'machine that scans documents then produces multiple print-outs of said documents.'