PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Work In HR? Gay issue question....

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

made_in_canada
05-12-2010, 04:51 AM
((flatfoote's sister)) I'd be furious... No advice to give, just my sympathy and a renewed desire to do my part.

essence_of_soy
05-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Margaret Cho would love the Chinese food complaint. I'll have to send it to her website.

In future, maybe there should be a picture board for people in the office to reference so that words people find offensive to the ears, can be indicated with a pointer or hand held laser instead.

For example, Chinese food can be a panda eating bamboo shoots, and lesbians can be a two lemons towing a U-Haul.

Finnice
05-12-2010, 07:34 AM
(((Flatfoot´s sister))) Again, no good advices, although I wish they should be forced to stop discrimination at her workplace.

What a BS, really!

vesperholly
05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
What if an employee was a minority and said as a joke, "If you get lost, just ask people where the [ethnicity] person lives, I'm the only one in town!"?

But self-referential jokes don't seem so harmful to me. And she didn't even use a slur! :rolleyes:

ETA CantALoop, the :rolleyes: is at the situation, not you :)

CantALoop
05-12-2010, 09:17 AM
But self-referential jokes don't seem so harmful to me. And she didn't even use a slur! :rolleyes:

Oops, I guess my post was ambiguous, but yes I agree.that referring to herself as a lesbian is no more offensive than referring to oneself with other descriptors such as religion, or ethnic background.

Auntie
05-12-2010, 01:45 PM
The write up is complete and utter BS but I wonder if there is something else going on in the work environment. Are "they" (a disgruntled coworker, dissatisfied manager, budget cutters, etc. ) looking for excuses to reprimand her?

talulabell
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
You've already gotten lots of great advice from other, more knowledgeable folks here. The only thing I was going to do was to stress the suggestion to document everything. I'm curious as to what the write-up actually says. But it does sound, to me, like it's a definite case of discrimination.

I just cant believe the one about the Chinese food. It actually is a Chinese restaurant, that serves Chinese food... how is that "objectifying"? Can people say they’re getting Italian food, or do they have to call it “food of a Mediterranean European origin”. I love how this person got hired to translate, and now feels objectified and wont do it. Sounds like someone has issues.

overedge
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I just cant believe the one about the Chinese food. It actually is a Chinese restaurant, that serves Chinese food... how is that "objectifying"? Can people say they’re getting Italian food, or do they have to call it “food of a Mediterranean European origin”.

Back in the day when there was lots of professional wrestling on TV, there was one network that was trying to increase its ratings outside the US. It told the commentators on one wrestling show that if a wrestler brought something into the ring like a chair, the commentators were no longer allowed to call it a "foreign object". It was to be referred to as an "international object".

slicekw
05-12-2010, 11:19 PM
oh PLEASE PLEASE have her send it in to the Evil HR Lady (http://evilhrlady.blogspot.com/). She'll love it and give amazing advice.

IceAlisa
05-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I forgot about the Evil HR Lady! :lol:

vesperholly
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
I should ask her about my company. They want our bosses to give us driving tests. I do not work at the DMV nor do I drive/get mileage for work. The exact purpose — or potential consequences of not passing! — has not been explained.

sk8pics
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
I should ask her about my company. They want our bosses to give us driving tests. I do not work at the DMV nor do I drive/get mileage for work. The exact purpose — or potential consequences of not passing! — has not been explained.

My company does something similar, in that we have annual on-line training and have a fellow employee ride along with us and fill out a checklist on our driving. So it's a peer not your boss, but it's still :rolleyes:. The reason for it is that there are probably more injuries on and off the job related to driving than anything else. They have different categories of drivers depending on how often we drive for company business. I drive back and forth between two sites that are two miles apart, so I'm a frequent driver. Sigh.

star_gazer11
05-14-2010, 03:08 AM
In future, maybe there should be a picture board for people in the office to reference so that words people find offensive to the ears, can be indicated with a pointer or hand held laser instead.

For example, Chinese food can be a panda eating bamboo shoots
:lol: Great idea.

Aussie Willy
05-14-2010, 03:55 AM
My company does something similar, in that we have annual on-line training and have a fellow employee ride along with us and fill out a checklist on our driving. So it's a peer not your boss, but it's still :rolleyes:. The reason for it is that there are probably more injuries on and off the job related to driving than anything else. They have different categories of drivers depending on how often we drive for company business. I drive back and forth between two sites that are two miles apart, so I'm a frequent driver. Sigh.
Unless driving is a required part of your job then there should be no requirement to test someone's driving.

However working in the safety area of where I work, we have so many incidents that come from driving. We even had someone hit a pedestrian recently. But most are people reversing back into poles.

As for the initial post, I think that is crap. I would like to think these days that people who did complain about someone using the term "lesbian" should be severely reprimanded for being a knobhead.

Ozzisk8tr
05-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Unless driving is a required part of your job then there should be no requirement to test someone's driving.

However working in the safety area of where I work, we have so many incidents that come from driving. We even had someone hit a pedestrian recently. But most are people reversing back into poles.

As for the initial post, I think that is crap. I would like to think these days that people who did complain about someone using the term "lesbian" should be severely reprimanded for being a knobhead.

Knobhead, I love it. :lol: "I'm writing you up because you're a knobhead".