PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Work In HR? Gay issue question....

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Jot the Dot Dot
05-11-2010, 06:26 PM
I mean, its not like she was giving a blow-by-blow description of what goes on with her lifestyle or anything.

Glad the subject was a gay female, otherwise that would have been the most awkward choice of words.

my little pony
05-11-2010, 06:30 PM
people in my office had to go to sensitivity training for saying that they were getting Chinese food, they were advised to say "food of Asian origin" in the future

genevieve
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
please tell me you're kidding about that :duh:

IceAlisa
05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
people in my office had to go to sensitivity training for saying that they were getting Chinese food, they were advised to say "food of Asian origin" in the future

No way! :scream: :yikes:

I am so sorry about what happened to your sister, Flatfoote. I don't have any advice other than to keep a paper trail, contact the appropriate orgs and the check the company rule book as others have already mentioned. It's so 1950's.

my little pony
05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
please tell me you're kidding about that :duh:

nope

Veronika
05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
nope

Wow. There are no words!

IceAlisa
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
nope

I'd love to hear their reasoning for claiming "Chinese" food is offensive.

Andora
05-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Yikes. That's incredibly ridiculous. Not to mention impractical. If someone invites me out for "food of Asian origin," I'd like to know if it's delicious Japanese or Thai, etc. etc., vs. the Chinese food you find in my area that makes me sick. (I'm sure actual food in China is better)

my little pony
05-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I'd love to hear their reasoning for claiming "Chinese" food is offensive.

They got a complaint from a girl of Chinese descent who said that when they ordered Chinese food it objectified her and she expected HR to make them stop it.

IceAlisa
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
They got a complaint from a girl of Chinese descent who said that when they ordered Chinese food it objectified her and she expected HR to make them stop it.

So the girl in question considers herself food. I see.

Andora
05-11-2010, 06:52 PM

I could see it being a problem if everyone turned into giant a-holes when ordering it, making obnoxious and racist jokes and such. (Like some university students I used to know) But even then, why would you banish the phrase "Chinese food" instead of dealing with bad behaviour?

dbell1
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Do they have to order 'fried potatoes of French origin' while at McDonalds? :shuffle:

Flatfoote, sorry your sister has to deal with this. Must make work a battleground. :(

Debbie S
05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm so sick of the overuse of "hostile work environment" by many employees.Seriously. At a company where I worked once, co-workers would give each other Christmas/holiday cards (this was a small co). Most would try to keep cards generic - the "Season's greetings" variety. One employee, a recent college grad (who was not the sharpest tool), gave out cards one year that said something like "May Jesus be with you this Christmas and always". And a few other words and images that were very Christian. I was a little annoyed - I'm Jewish - but I didn't say anything. The next year, I asked at a dept meeting (when boss asked us if we had any concerns we wanted her to address at the monthly dept heads meeting), if there could be a company-wide request for people to consider that not everyone is a Christian and if they were planning on giving out cards to everyone, to perhaps tone down the religious message out of respect for those with different beliefs.

I didn't want specific words named or banned, just a hint for people to be more thoughtful. Boss came back to me a few days later and said the HR person said there couldn't be such a request b/c it would create a "hostile work environment", b/c that would be interfering with religious expression - hello?! Asking people to be tolerant of others is hostile, but forcing me to put up with inappropriate messages shoved in my face is OK? Uh, huh.

IceAlisa
05-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I am not Christian and am ethnically Jewish but not observant. However, I find it nice when people wish me a merry Christmas or whatever holiday they are celebrating. I just take it as good wishes and say it back.

my little pony
05-11-2010, 07:05 PM
I could see it being a problem if everyone turned into giant a-holes when ordering it, making obnoxious and racist jokes and such. (Like some university students I used to know) But even then, why would you banish the phrase "Chinese food" instead of dealing with bad behaviour?

I agree but this wasnt the case. I think the only reason the complaint stuck was because it was made against the two most mild mannered people in the department who never stuck up for themselves. I'd still be fighting it. The girl who filed the complaint was a total pain about everything.