PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

icecat
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Yasmine competed senior at The Boston Open. She's sooo tiny but such a lovely girl and an amazing skater.

Sylvia
06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Yasmine competed senior at The Boston Open. She's sooo tiny but such a lovely girl and an amazing skater.
A video link to Yasmin Siraj's Senior FS program debut is posted in the U.S. club competitions thread in the Kiss and Cry forum (still open to all until July 1st): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2797671&postcount=52
(I believe we're only supposed to post links to current/2010-11 season competition videos in the Kiss and Cry forum.)

geod2
06-25-2010, 02:31 AM

Sylvia
06-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Sylvia, I looked everywhere but couldn't find anything more recent from you or on another thread.
Surely, I can't be the first one to have noticed it.
The earlier posting of GP assignments elsewhere was probably right under my nose and I missed it... If so, I'll just delete this message.
Sorry.
:o
I posted all the U.S. Grand Prix assignments on page 5 of this thread :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72852&page=5
(There's also a humongous Grand Prix 2010-2011 thread in GSD. ;))

I've been using this thread more for news/competition updates about the lesser-known Senior Ladies. ETA: Such as:
Agnes Zawadzki easily won the Senior Ladies SP Only event at the Broadmoor Open tonight (her unofficial score was 58.98). She skated to upbeat Latin ("Gopher Mambo") and her jumps were 3T+3T (pushed her free leg back on the 2nd), 3Lz high and flowy!, Ina Bauer to 2A.

geod2
06-25-2010, 02:49 AM
I posted all the U.S. Grand Prix assignments on page 5 of this thread :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72852&page=5
(There's also a humongous Grand Prix 2010-2011 thread in GSD. ;))

I've been using this thread more for news/competition updates about the lesser-known Senior Ladies.

Thanx!
I shouldn't try to catch up on reading this forum when I'm so tired from traveling.
:)

pinky166
06-25-2010, 02:54 AM
Angela Wang landed 3lz-3t at Broadmoor Open :eek:! The USFSA is dumb if they send Davis and Gong over this kid...

Sylvia
06-29-2010, 07:20 AM
pinky166, Angela Wang is not a Senior lady ;) -- here's the link to the thread speculating about U.S. JGP assignments (currently on page 7): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72852&page=7

A few more updates...

Christina Gao wrote a short journal entry for her official site (June 28): http://www.figureskatersonline.com/christinagao/journal2.htm

Agnes Zawadzki's official site was launched at FSO on June 27: http://figureskatersonline.com/agneszawadzki/

Here's Kiri Baga's latest optimistic tweet (June 27): "One more week until I get to start training. This injury isn't holding me back. I'm more motivated to train then ever."

Kendall Wyckoff is officially a Senior level skater -- she tweeted that she passed her USFS Senior Moves and FS tests on June 27.

chipso1
07-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Kiri Baga is back on the ice! :cool: From Twitter:

I have a normal MRI! YES. Let the training begin!

chipso1
08-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Cross-posting discussions from the off-topic Kimmie Meissner thread:

Ditto. Sure, she's [Gao] talented for a 15 year old, but her skating isn't even on the level of that of Nagasu's (minus the underrotated jumps) when she was U.S. champion at age 14 back in 2008. She's slower, has bad posture, her jumps swing out too much on the landings, and she's as lyrical as Irina Slutskaya, for lack of a better comparison :P (sorry Irina fans!). Plus she's a snoozefest...about as interesting as watching mud dry :yawn: and not nearly as exciting as Nagasu. Christina's talented, but I'm not falling for the hype. I'd give her about another two years to say she'll be ready to challenge the top of the pack at Nationals.

Well her [Gao] score from Skate Detroit was higher than the one Ashley just put up at Skate Wilmington, by about 7 points too. I think you're assesment of Christina is unfair, based on her international scores and this summer's scores, Christina really is very comparable to Ashley. And if people think Ashley can be the next national champion, there's no reason to count Christina out of the running. Also, she's 16 and her musicality and expression have gotten a lot better. A bunch of Christina doubters will likely wind up eating crow this spring when she makes the world team and Ashley doesn't.....which I see as a real possibility.

It's not Zhang or Czisny who Gao will have to beat for the US title you're telling us she'll win. She'll face Nagasu, Wagner , Flatt & Zawadzki, who have all beat her rather easily in the past.

Look, she's a very talented young skater at this point. She might as well medal or even win at US nationals at this point, who knows? Like any other skater, she has strength and flaws. But saying that she'll win US Nationals and make the World team is really putting the cart before the horse at this point in time.

Wagner is the one that's really over-hyped IMO. I mean, her SB for the SP last season was below Murakami, Shelepen, Ovcharova, Leonova, Makarova, Korpi, Gedevanishvilli, Dobbs, the list goes on. The fact that she can't break the 60 point mark in a SP internationally when lots of top competitors are scoring in the 70s or at the very least mid-60s, is pretty telling of where she's at right now.

Agreed (not sure about this Zawadzki though, she's another one I keep hearing about. I'd have her with Gao as two really heavily-hyped skaters who probably won't be much of a factor this season). The skaters to beat in the US now, IMHO, are Nagasu, Flatt and Wagner. We know that Zhang and Czisny can challenge them on good days. But Gao last year couldn't even push Cohen off the podium after the latter all but threw the FS. It wasn't even close. I think she (Gao) was almost 20 pts behind! So to expect her to suddenly be able to challenge Nagasu, Flatt and Wagner seems a bit like jumping the gun here. JMO. And sorry for the digression...back to Meissner I guess.

Let the discussion continue! :cool:

pinky166
08-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Hahaha. So yeah. I like Gao a lot :swoon:and think this could be her breakout season. Anyone else agree with me on this? :P Also I predict she finishes ahead of Zhang, Czisny, Wagner at nationals, and maybe even Flatt.

Chris_E
08-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Hahaha. So yeah. I like Gao a lot :swoon:and think this could be her breakout season. Anyone else agree with me on this? :P Also I predict she finishes ahead of Zhang, Czisny, Wagner at nationals, and maybe even Flatt.

I feel it is way to early to predict anything. We don't know how any of the top tier skaters will look once they compete. Gao has potential to improve but so do the rest of the ladies.

I wouldn't put too much thought in comparing Gao and Wagners scores from their summer comps. Wagner just started doing full run-throughs of her LP this past week and she scored around 100pts at Skate Wilmington. I would think that Christina would be much further along with her training since she starts competing earlier in the season. Also, Ashley scored 56+ for her SP at Liberty and I believe she did not get levels that she's capable on her spins, etc. Regardless, as we all know scores are not comparable from one competition to the next.

MikiAndoFan#1
08-02-2010, 04:20 AM

You do like hyping Christina.

:shuffle:

Jenna
08-02-2010, 04:21 AM
True. While Gao is certainly strong, I think she will have difficulty moving Ahead of Ashley just yet, and and an even harder time beating Flatt or Nagasu. Yes, she has a gorgeous 3-3 and that will help her, but her spins are quite poor for a senior, and her overall skating quality is not the same. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gao finish 4th this year and earn a trip to FCC. She is definitely one to watch for the future, though. Tremendous potential.

chipso1
08-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I think a 3rd/4th place finish is definitely within Gao's grasp this year at Nationals, but it's much too early to tell.

Wagner has had near-flawless free skates the past three years at Nationals, and she was only 8 points off the leaders after a short program that included a fall last season. Zawadzki has proven that she is a formidable competitor as well, with a true Lutz and spins that will score higher than Gao's on GOE. Nagasu and Flatt are sure to be contenders as well, and you never know when Czisny is going to skate lights out, but if she does, I don't think many can match her.

It's definitely going to be crowded at the top this season! It will be fun to watch the "veterans" (Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner) duke it out with the young guns (Zawadzki, Gao) and the wild cards (Czisny, Zhang, Dobbs, Gilles, Musademba). Can't wait! :)

Polymer Bob
08-02-2010, 12:41 PM
We seem to have many contenders, but no one definite best. I think that eventually, one skater will emerge as superior to the others, but that may not be for years. If one U.S. lady does the best ( among U.S. ladies ) at the Grand Prix, Nationals, 4CC and Worlds, then I think we could call that lady the "best".