PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

HisWeirness
11-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Really? I thought she went to the regionals, then once she filled in for Cohen at SA she got a bye through sectionals.
This is how I remember it happening as well. ;)

RockTheTassel
11-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Yes, you're right. It was regionals where Emily skated. Sorry for my mistake!

chipso1
11-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Doesn't Alissa train at the Detroit Skating Club? If so, I don't think the travel to Ann Arbor will be much of a hardship.

Oops, I was thinking Mids were in Tennessee this year for some reason, but that's where EGL was.

Still, it would be nice for more skaters to have the opportunity to experience a Nationals. ;)

Jayar
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
P.S. I hope that Czisny DOES skate at Nationals. It will give us one less mediocre lady to endure in Greensboro. Let's send Flatt and Gao to Mids as well, please.

mgobluegirl
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
P.S. I hope that Czisny DOES skate at Nationals. It will give us one less mediocre lady to endure in Greensboro. Let's send Flatt and Gao to Mids as well, please.

I'm assuming you mean sectionals, but I disagree with you. Having to sit through "one more mediocre skater" is fine by me if it means that one more skater achieves their dream of competing at nationals. All of these skaters have trained for this for YEARS; I will give them 4 minutes of my time if they get to nationals.

chipso1
11-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm assuming you mean sectionals, but I disagree with you. Having to sit through "one more mediocre skater" is fine by me if it means that one more skater achieves their dream of competing at nationals. All of these skaters have trained for this for YEARS; I will give them 4 minutes of my time if they get to nationals.

Quoted for truth.

Jayar
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Quoted for truth.

I did mean Sectionals. But have you sat through a group of skaters who can barely score 100 points in total on the senior level? Let me know how that works out for you...

chipso1
11-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I did mean Sectionals. But have you sat through a group of skaters who can barely score 100 points in total on the senior level? Let me know how that works out for you...

Yep, I have. ;) Upper Great Lakes a number of times. MN State a number of times. And Nationals in St. Paul. And Nationals in Spokane last year. To be honest, I don't think it's going to kill anyone to have to sit through one more senior lady in Greensboro. You don't have to watch, ya know.

Debbie S
11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered - if Alissa does make the GPF, would the 5th place Senior lady at Mids then get to go to Nats?

Sylvia
11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
It's true that many of the Senior ladies qualifying out of Midwestern Sectionals have been placing at/near the bottom at Nationals for the past few years. But, as mgobluegirl and chipso1 have stated or implied in their posts, from the skater's perspective, qualifying for/skating at Nationals -- even just once -- is the ultimate goal for competitive skaters who have put in the training time and have toiled up through the ranks for a chance to go to the "big show." It's also the ultimate reward for their families who have supported them in countless ways through the years.

Excluding Czisny, only 3 of the 13 other Senior ladies at Mids have previously made it to Nationals for the first time as seniors (Tatyana Khazova twice, Chelsea Morrow and Christina-Maria Sperduto once) and another made it at the Novice level in 2008 (Samiera Abou-Nasr). If Czisny ends up competing at Mids, that still leaves 3 spots open for them and the rest (Morgan Bell, Katy Jo West, Amy Nunn, Kayla Grayson, Taylor Kulpa, Alicia Hsu, Chelsea Christopher, Amber Walczyk, Mikenzie Frost) to try and qualify for Nationals, first time or not. So Jayar's point of view is also valid, IMO, because 3 open spots to Nationals for this year's field at Mids provide a good number of opportunities compared to the other 2 Sectionals.

Good question, Debbie S! :) If your scenario actually happens, I believe that would be the call of the Competitions Committee chair.

ETA: One thing to note is that there are already 13 Senior ladies byes to Nationals (excluding Cohen) and with the 12 qualifying through Sectionals, 25 total is a LOT!

Sylvia
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
... there is an International Competition Byes document that is issued to all the international selection pool (ISP) skaters before the start of each season by the Chair of USFS' Competitions Committee. This used to be published online but hasn't been in recent years. It shows which international competitions receive byes through Regionals and/or Sectionals and which do not.
Cup of China, Skate America (the same week as all 3 Sectionals) and Cup of Russia are the 3 GP events that allow skaters/teams a bye through their respective Sectionals to Nationals, along with Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (Senior B).

just wondering
11-04-2010, 04:59 PM

I have! But more important for me than my own comfort, is the pride I see on the parents' faces and the joy in the skaters' eyes knowing that they have achieved a decade long dream - to skate at Nationals. This is a sport, and I am willing to watch a little lesser ability to acknowledge the years of 5.30am practices and personal sacrifices these families have chosen to make. Particularly at the lower level of any event, I try to remember that behind every odd/amateur/dowdy costume or sub par skate stands a team of people who are proud of this small accomplishment.

Three cheers for the multitude of families who keep skating going as a sport and accessible for many. If we didn't have those people, the sport would be far more expensive and elitist than it is. Goooo first warm up group at Nationals!!!!

Debbie S
11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I have! But more important for me than my own comfort, is the pride I see on the parents' faces and the joy in the skaters' eyes knowing that they have achieved a decade long dream - to skate at Nationals. This is a sport, and I am willing to watch a little lesser ability to acknowledge the years of 5.30am practices and personal sacrifices these families have chosen to make. Particularly at the lower level of any event, I try to remember that behind every odd/amateur/dowdy costume or sub par skate stands a team of people who are proud of this small accomplishment.

Three cheers for the multitude of families who keep skating going as a sport and accessible for many. If we didn't have those people, the sport would be far more expensive and elitist than it is. Goooo first warm up group at Nationals!!!!:respec:

Cheylana
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
It's true that many of the Senior ladies qualifying out of Midwestern Sectionals have been placing at/near the bottom at Nationals for the past few years. But, as mgobluegirl and chipso1 have stated or implied in their posts, from the skater's perspective, qualifying for/skating at Nationals -- even just once -- is the ultimate goal for competitive skaters who have put in the training time and have toiled up through the ranks for a chance to go to the "big show." It's also the ultimate reward for their families who have supported them in countless ways through the years.
Wordy McWord. One of my favorite memories was spotting this man and girl at the Spokane Airport in 2007 holding "Go Margaret" signs and asking them if they were for Margaret Wang. Her dad's eyes nearly fell out of his head when he realized that we knew who Margaret Wang was, having already seen her skate at Pacific Coast Sectionals. When we told him what a lovely skater we thought she was, and wished her luck on her Nationals debut, he was just bursting with pride! :)

Sylvia
11-04-2010, 06:20 PM
if Alissa does make the GPF, would the 5th place Senior lady at Mids then get to go to Nats?
I just remembered a similar scenario in the past and checked the results online. Katy Taylor competed at 2006 Midwestern Sectionals in November 2005 and won the Senior Ladies event. Right after (or before the end of?) Mids, she was invited to compete at the Junior Grand Prix Final as an alternate. The 5th place Senior lady at Mids, Ambar Kaiser, did NOT receive a bye to 2006 Nationals. (Fortunately, Kaiser qualified for 2007 Nationals on her own and was able to experience her one and only Nationals the following season.)